Roon Core Machine

Intel NUC8i3 (ROCK)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Asus rt-ax86u

Connected Audio Devices

Roon ready devices: Hegel H190, Matrix Audio Mini-i pro 3

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Roon Rock has began, since the latest two updates, to shut down on its own from time to time. Sometimes it can run for several weeks, then it powers down, and sometimes it goes down after just a day or two. Is there a way to know why?

Thanks!

It seems like a temperature issue to me.
Can you say if the fans runs amok after a few hours?

If not, it might be a hardware issue causing this.

1 Like

It doesn’t seem like the NUC is getting overheated. However, I have removed all dust just to be shure. Will wait a few days to evaluate.

1 Like

Very good! And, sometimes the dust almost blocks the air outlet, but is difficult to see from the outside. Still, you should hear the fan revving if it does get warm.

Keep us posted!

1 Like

I had this issue a couple of weeks ago, and it was resolved by stripping down the NUC and removing all traces of dust.

Hey @jazMirti,

I wanted to follow up on this thread to see if cleaning up your ROCK helped with the unknown shutdowns?

Let me know. :+1:

Hey,

It has been running stable since the cleaning. Is there really a safety mechanism that shuts down the NUC if overheated?

Thanks for following up the thread.

From Intel support site:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005597/processors.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000033327/intel-nuc.html

Probably a heating issue then, from what can be read on the support page. The response time also got better from dusting of the machine.

1 Like

Yep, because if it gets too warm it throttles the CPU before it shuts down completely

Incidentally, if the fan becomes noisy after removing the dust, rinse the fan with a mix of deionised water, photo fix, and alcohol AKA vinyl record cleaner. Works like a charm.

I too saw a performance improvement after cleaning the NUC, so much so that I may use a fanless case next time I build a ROCK.

1 Like

Absolutely!
@jazMirti
To avoid overheating, highly recommended:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.