ROCK Slow Scanning Music Files on New QNAP NAS

Hi @Stax ---- Thank you for the report and continued feedback here. Both are very appreciated and sorry to hear of the troubles.

Moving forward, to help us better understand what could be potentially causing you to experience this behavior, may I very kindly ask you for the following:

• Please provide screenshots of …

• Your “storage” tab so we can see how the QNAP is being mounted in Roon.
    • The SMB settings being used on the NAS.
  • Please provide the exact models of the mentioned “3 Dlink gigabit switches” being implemented in your setup.

• I agree with @Ratbert’s suggestion, if it is possible to get the core and NAS on the same switch or even temporarily mount them directly to your router, I’d be curious to see if performance improves.

-Eric

The three D-link switches are the DGS-2208, DGS-1008G and the DGS-1016A. It seems the 2208 is the oldest of the bunch.

I will get the storage tab and SMB settings and try connecting them both on the same switch. Thank you.

Here is the Roon General tab (showing NUC), Storage tab (showing path connected) and what happens when I try to open a music file on Roon right now.

The NUC and the NAS are currently connected to the same switch.

No music can be played.

Next I will get a screenshot of the NAS SMB settings.

@eric

Here is what I think are the SMB settings from the QNAP.

Hi @Stax ---- Thank you for touching base and providing the requested feedback, both are very appreciated!

This may be a silly questions :innocent: but has anything appeared in “skipped files”? Additionally, I understand that the NAS was added recently as your musical collection was previously being stored in another location. Can you please very briefly describe how you want about changing your storage location based on these instructions.

Additionally…

• Can you please verify the make and model of Roon remote that you are using to configure the storage location (i.e Windows or MAC)?

Content Stored on a NAS drive:

• One thing you can try is disabling AFP altogether on your QNAP. However, I don’t know how this might affect other applications you use your QNAP for. To do so:

1. Enter your QNAP’s IP address in your web browser and log in
    2. Click Control Panel
    3. Under the Network Services header, click Win/Mac/NFS
    4. In the Microsoft Networking tab, make sure the box next to “Enable file service for Microsoft networking” is checked
    5. In the Apple Networking tab, uncheck the box next to “Enable AFP”

-Eric