ROCK to player setup questions

Using both Qobuz and Tidal I have not come across any streamed multichannel content. My guess is you’ll have to rip your own or buy.

1 Like

Can’t speak for TIDAL, but there are some multichannel recordings available in Qobuz; here’s some that I’ve added to my own library…

3 Likes

Not the sort of titles I’d have been searching for!

1 Like

Thanks John. I found a Binary 230 powered 1x2 splitter locally and I did try it yesterday. This is more info than you need or want but just describing the situation for documentation.

Connected one output to the Denon 8500H HDMI slot labeled for Media Server and the second to the OPPO HDMI IN. Tried both but didn’t get a peep out of ether one. Roon was going through the motions with the remote screen indicating it was playing the selection but I didn’t get any sound or display.

Remove the splitter and connected directly to the same Denon MS slot and it played but dropped sound and display for a few seconds every minute or so. Tried disable and re-enable of HDMI0, cycled the NUC and the receiver but the brief dropout of sound and display was still there.

Moved the connection to the OPPO HDMI IN and the sound played without interruption with the display visible as it had been for the past week.

Connected a Roku Ultra to the Denon MS HDMI Slot and played Pandora without interruption.

Scratching my head over that one. The NUC HDMI out works fine connected to the OPPO with the OPPO connected to the Denon but has audio/video dropouts when connected directly. And I get nothing from either connection with the splitter in the way.

It was worth a try and I will try connecting the NUC HDMI to the Denon HDMI DVD slot to see if the dropout happens there.

Thanks again for the reply and I am interested in how your rips turn out.

Thanks Geoff. I will try a search to pull those up. I’m still in discovery mode and will play all multi-channel music I can find to see how it works.

You may need to experiment with Roon’s audio settings on the HDMI connection to the Denon. When I originally set up the connection to my (ancient) Denon 3808, the default settings would not work. I ended up with these (the screenshot is from an earlier version of Roon, the current settings screen looks different, but the setting values are the key pieces of information here):

Geoff, I located a few of the albums using the Roon search feature and verified multi-ch does work over HDMI in my setup. Thank you for that information.

A couple even kicked the subs (set to startup when a signal is detected).

For DSD Playback Strategy, tried Convert to PCM and DSD over PCM v1.0 (dop) with max PCM sample rate at 192KHz. Both worked and sounded the same. Thought I read that dop carried dsd over in pcm. Not sure about all that. My receiver does decode DSD and displays DSD when playing SACD’s but in this case it only detected multi-ch and went to 7.1 playback.

Is there a way to search for mult-ch or do you have to know the album to search for? For a couple of these you provided I had to check versions to find the 5.1 album.

Thanks again for helping me verify its working. Just need to find the music.

Unfortunately, it’s not easy. There’s no direct way as far as I’m aware. I used the Qobuz app and searched for “5.1”, and then reviewed the results to sort out the wheat from the chaff. I have no idea whether the results are the sum total of what’s in Qobuz…

I connected the ROCK HDMI to the HDMI DVD slot on the receiver and have not had the dropouts that occurred when connected to the HDMI Media Server slot. Can’t figure that out. The receiver is detecting multi-ch vs stereo signals and automatically adjusts to 7.1 for Multi-ch and Dolby Surround processor for stereo. Real or simulated but surround sound either way. Works for me.

Geoff, I spoke too soon on the issue with HDMI dropouts. It started again after playing for an hour uninterrupted. So far it only happens when the NUC HDMI is connected to the receiver. With the NUC connected to the OPPO HDMI IN it has not occurred. Guess I need to move this issue to another thread.

Mike:

It’s interesting that your splitter doesn’t work in your setup. Now you’ve got me curious - I’ve got a pretty high-quality splitter stashed away somewhere. I may just go dig it up and try what you have done to see what happens on my end.

Just downloaded some multichannel PCM and DSD audio albums (purchased from Acoustic Sounds) and need to try them out with my NUC HDMI endpoint. I think I read earlier in one of the postings that Roon had to be set to 7.1 with your HDMI audio endpoint even if you only have 5.1 channels active, but it looks like you’ve been doing that. I think Geoff is on the right track stating that one may have to experiment with Roon settings to get everything copasetic. Unusual that if you go through the Oppo there are no dropouts - but that may be preferable because Oppo has the jitter reduction feature when using its HDMI Audio Out (but I guess you’re using the Oppo’s analog multichannel outs? – you might be getting the best SQ via the Oppo’s MC DAC, anyway). I’ll start experimenting with some of this tomorrow, if time allows, and report back.

It’s very disappointing to see the dearth of even downloadable multichannel audio files for purchase, let alone available streaming material. There are plenty of multichannel SACDs, but you’ve got to rip them yourself (or have a service do it like I intend to do pretty soon).

Good luck with your further experimentation !

• john
1 Like

John, I don’t know why the splitter didn’t work but I got nothing from either side with it in the path. Guess there is the possibility it was bad but the lights on the unit indicated it was working. I would be interested if it works for you. If so I’ll try the same device.

The NUC HDMI out works fine going through the OPPO using both 7.1 analog and HDMI connections to the receiver. It’s my understanding the OPPO uses it’s DAC’s to decode with the 7.1 analog connections but passes the signal to the receiver for decoding when using the HDMI connection. Listening to music for hours yesterday with NUC HDMI to OPPO and HDMI from OPPO to receiver. Not a single issue. But with the NUC connected directly to the receiver it would play fine for a short time then the dropouts and stumbles would start happening. Both units have up to 192khz max sample rate. I will drop that down to 96khz to see it make any difference.

Hope I’m not speaking too soon, again, but it appears as if lowering the Max Sample Rate from 192khz to 96 khz for the NUC to Denon HDMI connection has resolved the dropout issue. I had it playing all day and did not experience the issue. Not exactly a satisfactory solution but its a workaround for now.

96kHz is what I ended up with for my Denon as well two years ago. Anything higher, and there were problems.

The Denon supports all of today’s dominant hi-res codecs: FLAC, ALAC, WAV (up to 24-bit/192kHz) and DSD (2.8 and 5.6MHz). HRA capable up to 192/32, including native-DSD 2.8/5.6 MHz

2-channel Linear PCM 2-channel, 32 kHz – 192 kHz, 16/20/24 bit
Multi-channel Linear PCM 7.1-channel, 32 kHz – 192 kHz, 16/20/24 bit
Bitstream Dolby Digital / DTS / Dolby Atmos / Dolby TrueHD /
Dolby Digital Plus / DTS:X / DTS-HD Master Audio /
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio / DTS Express
DSD 2-channel – 5.1-channel, 2.8 MHz

Sorry composing reply, copy/pasted info and it went before I was ready.

The receiver does support 192 khz.
Trying to figure out where the problem is, Denon receiver issue, Intel NUC issue, Rock issue.
As previously stated it works very well with Max 192KHz set, HDMI to the OPPO 205 and HDMI from OPPO to the receiver. Only happens with HDMI from NUC to receiver.

Don’t know where to start.

If it’s the NUC I need to replace it while in the return period.

It’s extremely unlikely to be a hardware issue with the NUC. It’s likely to be a software issue, either the OS driver, Roon, or some interaction with the software on the Denon side of the equation. I assume that your Denon has the latest firmware installed?

I recall reading something about issues with NUC motherboards and shortages. Just something that stuck in my mind. Could have been old news.

The Denon firmware was updated a few weeks ago to 7400-9193-1131-0025. It is current.

As long as the issue is not NUC related I can take the time to work things out.

Do you have a Windows PC you can use to substitute for the NUC as an output.