ROCK to player setup questions

96kHz is what I ended up with for my Denon as well two years ago. Anything higher, and there were problems.

The Denon supports all of today’s dominant hi-res codecs: FLAC, ALAC, WAV (up to 24-bit/192kHz) and DSD (2.8 and 5.6MHz). HRA capable up to 192/32, including native-DSD 2.8/5.6 MHz

2-channel Linear PCM 2-channel, 32 kHz – 192 kHz, 16/20/24 bit
Multi-channel Linear PCM 7.1-channel, 32 kHz – 192 kHz, 16/20/24 bit
Bitstream Dolby Digital / DTS / Dolby Atmos / Dolby TrueHD /
Dolby Digital Plus / DTS:X / DTS-HD Master Audio /
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio / DTS Express
DSD 2-channel – 5.1-channel, 2.8 MHz

Sorry composing reply, copy/pasted info and it went before I was ready.

The receiver does support 192 khz.
Trying to figure out where the problem is, Denon receiver issue, Intel NUC issue, Rock issue.
As previously stated it works very well with Max 192KHz set, HDMI to the OPPO 205 and HDMI from OPPO to the receiver. Only happens with HDMI from NUC to receiver.

Don’t know where to start.

If it’s the NUC I need to replace it while in the return period.

It’s extremely unlikely to be a hardware issue with the NUC. It’s likely to be a software issue, either the OS driver, Roon, or some interaction with the software on the Denon side of the equation. I assume that your Denon has the latest firmware installed?

I recall reading something about issues with NUC motherboards and shortages. Just something that stuck in my mind. Could have been old news.

The Denon firmware was updated a few weeks ago to 7400-9193-1131-0025. It is current.

As long as the issue is not NUC related I can take the time to work things out.

Do you have a Windows PC you can use to substitute for the NUC as an output.

Hi Henry, yes I do have a Windows 7 64 bit desktop that I used for Roon when I started the trial. It is setup in the master about 60’ from the rest of the equipment with wireless from core to router. I was able to play through the receiver with Airplay and through the OPPO with Eithernet but the desktop does not have HDMI.

Geoff, the HDMI connection from NUC to the Denon receiver is better with 96KHz. But I still have occasional dropouts. Had several last night while listening for a couple of hours. I have not detected a single issue with the HDMI from NUC to OPPO then to Denon. Would the Roon support team have any input on this issue?

Mike, probably best if you start a new thread (using the Support template) in the Support category of the forum. That way it will be seen and responded to by the Support team directly.

Ok, I will do that, thanks.

Thought I should add an update for the dropout issue mentioned earlier in this topic. The problem I was experiencing had nothing to do with Roon or the Device Setup.

I had a Power Practical USB powered light kit added to the rear of the 65 inch LG OLED TV for background light when watching TV or movies. It became apparent this was causing some problems when I turned the receiver on in the dark room and switched to the DVD HDMI for the NUC/Rock connection. The TV was not on providing USB power to the kit but the light lit up anyway. This seems to be an issue with the TV trying to get power over the HDMI connection when it sensed the signal from the NUC through the receiver. Maybe a Path of Least Resistance thing. The severe dropout problem stopped happening after the USB kit was disconnected. As to why the issue was intermittent with 2 HDMI cables and severe with AudioQuest, I’m venturing a guess the higher conductivity of the AQ cable provided enough power to complete the circuit and continually disrupt the HDMI connection. With the other cables, attempts to draw power failed and only caused a single dropout per attempt.

Sounds dumb but its the only reasoning my old brain can come up with. Whatever the issue was it’s not happening now with the AQ cable in the loop and the USB kit disconnected.