ROCK unstable and randomly stopping

I have ROCK running on an Intel NUC and since the 1.5 update has been unstable. It stops after a few hours and ROCK dies. The only thing possible is to reset the NUC. I tried reinstalling ROCK and reset of the database but it did not help.

How can I determine if it is a ROCK software problem (anyone maybe the same issues?) or a hardware problem? The web interface does not provide any insight into error causes. Any help is much appreciated.

Moved to support forum.

Hi @Devialet220User ---- Thank you for the report and sharing this observation you have made with us. The insight is appreciated and sorry to hear of the troubles.

Moving forward, to help us better understand this issue you are experiencing may I very kindly ask you for the following please expand on the description of your setup using this link as a guide. Furthermore, did this behavior start with the update to B333/334 or was this behavior occurring before the update?

Normally I would enable diagnostics on your account but this action requires Roon to be active on the core machine and if the application is not launching I fear the report may not come in.

In light of the above, may I very kindly ask you to please use the instructions found here to manually send us over a set of your Roon logs from the NUC hosting ROCK. I have unlisted this thread so you can post a link to retrieve the logs right in your reply.

-Eric

Hi Eric, so much thanks for helping. Roon stops multiple times a day when streaming. Please enable diagnostics. I’ll keep it streaming and restart when it crashes.

I think it started with 1.5 (is that B333?)
My setup:

• Version: Roon version 1.5 (B334) (64 bit)
  • Intel NUC , M.2 SSD (2280): 250GB Samsung 960 EVO (PCI-e), (onboard): Intel Core i5-7260U (2x 2.2 - 3.4 GHz), 8GB memory
  • Music stored on Synology NAS and Tidal but issue occurs also when streaming internet radio
    Collection size: 36000 tracks

Issue: Random stop (after hours of play). Only power cycle helps solve the problem. Rock web server also unresponsive

I do not have dropbox or onedrive. Can you provide a way to upload the zip file of the logs or do you mean I can attach them to a response in this thread as this is not publically available (are you sure?)

Regards,
Frank

Sorry forgot to mention I play to a Devialet 220 Pro using ROON AIR

Hello @Devialet220User,

Thanks for providing the overview of your account here. You can also send the logs to us via our uploader, I will PM you shortly on how to do that. After receiving those logs, I will be sure to let you know that we have them and that they have been submitted for analysis.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

Hello @Devialet220User,

I can confirm that we have successfully received the logs you have submitted. I will create a case for you with our QA team who will review them, I appreciate your patience while that happens on our end. Eric or I will let you know the findings from the QA team after they complete their report and pass it back to us.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

I don’t know if it is useful to mention but Roon just stopped working again. Now power cycling

Thanks for letting me know @Devialet220User. Your case is under review by QA and I have let them know that it stopped working again, if they require another set of diagnostic info I will be sure to let you know but in the meantime I think it’s best that we wait for them to complete the initial report.

Thanks,
Noris

Any update?

Hello @Devialet220User,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you, we have been conducting testing and have so far not been able to reproduce this issue you are seeing. The QA team would like some more information to see if they’re able to modify their tests to better match your environment.

1. What is the make and model of your router?
  2. Are either the NUC or Devialet connected via WiFi?
  3. Do you see this issue when streaming to the zones besides the Devialet? This would include a local zone on another PC running Roon Remote in the household.
  4. Can you confirm what version firmware you are running on the Devialet?

We will continue to monitor our setup with a NUC and Devialet Air device to see if we can reproduce this issue.

-John

Hi John ,

Thank you for trying to solve this. The answers to your questions:
1 the NUC is connected to a Netgear GS105. The devialet also (but the managed version GS105E). The router connected to the internet is a Ubiquity edgerouter X
2 both Devialet and NUC do not have WiFi configured
3 I only use one zone
4 the latest firmware version Firmware 13.0.0 + DOS 2.2.2 but the problem was also there with the previous beta 14 version.

Hope this helps.

Side note (probably not relevant) a managed netgear GS108E is connected to the edgerouter. NUC and Devialet are in the same VLAN. Never had any issues before or other network issues with any other device

Hello @Devialet220User,

Thank you for your answers to John’s questions. Moving forward I would like to try to bring Roon to a “factory default” state to see if this fixes the issue. To perform the reset, please follow the steps below:

• Before doing anything else, please perform a Backup of your current library.
  • Next, use another computer to navigate to the ROCK OS Data location
  • There you will find a few folders, please locate the RAATServer folder in that list:
    ROCK%20RAATServer%20Location
  • Rename “RAATServer” to “RAATServer_Old”
  • Navigate to the ROCK WebUI, and press “Restart” for RAATServer:
  • A new RAATServer will then be generated by ROCK in the Data directory

Please let us know if the above steps help resolve the issue or if you have any questions prior to performing the steps. I look forward to your findings.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll try this. Am I allowed to restore the backup after the new raatserver has been created?

Hello @Devialet220User,

Yes, you can restore from a backup after RAATSever has been reset.

RAATServer is our communications protocol that is used to manage devices and settings. It is possible that something went wrong and clearing it out will ensure that those settings are reset You can read more about RAAT here: https://kb.roonlabs.com/RAAT.

I look forward to your findings after performing the steps!

Thanks,
Noris

I would like to report that this solved the problem. I was expecting that by removing the folder my whole database needed to rebuild but this wasn’t the case. Quick fix. Thank you! and sorry for the late reply.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.