ROCK update can't be downloaded automatically

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

I am using a NUC8i7BEH as a dedicated Roon Core Server, following the installation steps provied by Roon, successfully installed ROCK Version 1.7 (build 521). I am a new Roon software user based in Beijing China, just started 9 days ago.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

I have the Roon Server (NUC with ROCK installed) connected to my home network via ethernet.The home network equipments, including router, switch and wifi Access Points are all from TP-Link. Internet connection is through a 100M high speed fiber optic connection provided by Unicom (Telecom services provider). This home network has been working fine so far after it was setup. It is operating 24hrs/7days in last 3 years, I been using it to surf the web, supporting smart phone apps and Qnap NAS backup, as well as watching streaming TV programs through ethernet connected set top box. Now, added Roon music streaming.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Other than the NUC Roon Server, I have installed Roon software on my Huawei Mate10Pro smart phone (via wifi), my win10 i7 destop PC (via ethernet), and my iPad air3 (via wifi), these equipment are used as audio output as well as control. Auralic Aries G1 (via wifi) and Vega G1 (via ethernet) are connected to Roon for playing music on my HiFi system. Aries is used as wifi streamer, connected via USB to Vega g1 serving as a DAC, Vega then connecting directly to amplifer/speakers. All my CD rip music filies are stored at a Qnap NAS (TS-543Bmini), also connected via ethernet to the home network.

Description Of Issue

On my PC (or iPad/smart phone) Roon application, I clicked “settings” and then “about”, it shows the PC is on Roon version 1.7 (build 537) stable, and the Roon Core ROCK is on Roon Version 1.7 (build 521) stable, but there are new updates shown, checked “read change log” and it said updates including build 528, 536, 537 are available. On the same screen, under the core window, it said the system is downloading the updates, but it never complete the download, actually made zero progress most of the time. One time it shows it has downloaded a small portion of the updates, then never move again. I restarted the NUC core, and it goes back to ground zero and start downloading from the beginnnig again. But things just work normally (music streaming over Roon is working) while the updates downloading is not working. By the way, I have selected automatically install all updates.

Yesderday I added a number of albums from Tidal to my library, the core system seems working hard to find me the cover art and related contents for the new albums, while the downloading progress bar changed to “There was an error checking for an update.” When I clicked the moving sigh on top right hand corner next to bookmark, it said “Metadata Improver: Halted. Roon needs a software update. A software update is required before your music can be matched up with great cover art, lyrics, artist photos and more.”

I wonder if this is related to the fact that I am physically located in Beijing China, and some overseas web services are blocked, like google, youtube, facebook, etc. I could be wrong, as I have no idea if Roon’s software update download site is blocked or not. Anyway, seems like downloading update automatically by my ROCK server is not working. I am able to access and download from blocked web site via my PC with a VPN connection, that’s how I download ROCK software for the NUC installation, but the ROCK NUC has no window OS installed, so my VPN will not work.

Please advise what would likely be the problem, and how to resolve the software update download and installation issue. I was thinking if I can locate and download the software updates with my PC, maybe I can do the NUC ROCK software update manually with a USB drive. Having said that, as I am very new to Roon, I don’t know where to find the software updates, bare with me. And not sure how to update the NUC ROCK manually.

Please help … thanks.

Perhaps in the meantime you can run on your PC - normally this is an issue with updates in china due to the county firewall so unless you have a modem/router based VPN that works. Make sure to have a database back up to restore on the PC installation. At least you can have music again.

Support will be along in due course that might offer a solution. Roon uses AWS servers for software and this is probably blocked by the the Great Firewall of China

Hi Thanks for your prompt reply, and looks like it is the firework blocking the auto update download.

So there is no way to do a manual update download and install the Rock updates with the NUC manually?

I prefer to use my NUC if all possible, cause ROCK run natively on Linux and the NUC is meant to be a dedicated music server. On my desktop PC, Roon will have to run on Windows and I got many other applications running on that PC most of the time. If manual NUC update is not possible, can I switch the Roon Core to my desktop PC as an interrim, then download the ROCK software again (assuming the available download is now on the latest Build 537). Reinstall the NUC with the latest ROCK build once again, then pass the Core back to it. Will it work? I know this is additional work I have to do, but like to know if this is solution, at least. And anything that I should be caution of? I definitely don’t want to rebuild my library once again, that’s one week of work.

Thanks.

You can download from here
https://kb.roonlabs.com/ROCK_Install_Guide

If you do a reinstall then make sure to have a backup of your database that you know works. IIRC an install from USB could well format the SSD again…I could be wrong but lets see what support has to offer.

Thanks Mr Fix it, will certainly backup the library db before doing anything.

Hi ged, thanks for helping too … I just downloaded the ROCK software again, but the file name is exactly the same as the previous one (roonbox-linuxx64-nuc3-usb-factoryreset-100000186), which I have downloaded and installed two weeks ago. Not sure if it is the latest version1.7/build 537? or it is still 1.7/build 521, the one I have installed on the NUC. Any idea?

@support what version is the ROCK download in the install guide?

I just download from the ROCK installation guide under the ROON Lab website. It did not specify the version and build of the software, but the file name after unzipping the downloaded img file is exactly the same name as the one I downloaded 2 weeks ago, from the same link, which is a Version 1.7 build 521. That’s why I wonderiing if the file I just downloaded is not the latest version/build, just guessing … maybe I am wrong

I was asking roon staff for the level the “@support” flags them.

Hi @Waters_Wan,

Can you please use these instructions to access your ROCK logs and upload the set to Dropbox / Google Drive and post a link here?

I’m checking this aspect with QA, once I have confirmation of the build version, I’ll update you here.

Please do send logs in the meantime, thanks!

@noris please find the zip folder on my google drive, with all the rock logs in it. Let me know if the above link is not working, or it is not what you are looking for, thanks.

1 Like

Hi @Waters_Wan,

Thanks for sending those logs over. It does look like the new build is found but there is a download error when trying to download it to the Core.

I spoke to the QA team and they have informed me that the latest install guide image is from when we had our latest RoonOS release, which would have been from Roon build 505, I believe.

I’ll check to see if we can possibly update this, but in the meantime @Waters_Wan - can you please let me know how your DNS servers are set up? Is there any change in behavior if you try switching your router’s DNS to Cloudflare DNS, Quad9 or Google DNS.

Hi @noris, I cannot change to another DNS, this is pre-set by the telco operator provided EPON/router. My current DNS is 202.106.195.68, I believe it is a local DNS and should be controlled under the country firewall.

By the way, my NUC is currently at V1.7 Build521, and I was downloaded straight from the install guide, given my network setting here cannot support ROON’s auto update, with that, it can’t be build 505, right? Any plan to bring image up to latest version/build on regular basis?

Hi @Waters_Wan,

The images on our install guide are only updated when a new RoonOS is released, so if this was during build 521, then that would be the latest version available there.

I would try seeing if you can add the VPN profile directly to the router instead. I am not certain which TP-Link router you have, but here are instructions on how to set up a VPN on a TP-Link C7:

https://www.wirelesshack.org/how-to-setup-a-tp-link-archer-c7-router-as-a-vpn-for-all-home-devices.html

The other option is to force a fixed IP address in the rock using the same address it has now and then use dns setting in the rock settings to use 1.1.1.1 and see if you can update. Make sure to use the same gateway address as your router address

Once updated maybe set it back to dhcp or force the router to assign that address as always reserved for rock

Got it, so that means when V1.8 released in the future, the install guide image will be updated with V1.8 and the latest build xxx at that point of time, that’s good news. Given my system is working and it is quite stable at the moment, I actually have no urgency to update to build 537. I am actually more worry about not able to update to a newer version (when available) that brings new features and functions.

Now I guess we are quite certain that the issue is related to the country firewall that blocking ROCK’s automatic update attempts, so be it. Meanwhile I will continue using the NUC with ROCK V1.7 build 521 as the Roon Core, and look for a router base hardware VPN solution for the NUC to physically plugin. If, in case, I need to upgrade to a build level to fix a problem before a new version released (hope not), I can migrate the Roon core to my win10 desk top PC which has VPN access. Not perfect, but at least we know the root clause of the issue, and have ways to work around it when required.

Noris, Ged, and Mr. fix it, thanks for your help, much appreciated. This is a great community!! :+1:

3 Likes

Not quite, but close. When we release our next RoonOS build, the ROCK images will be updated (currently on RoonOS 186). RoonOS releases are much less frequent, but they are used for making hardware-level changes to ROCK/Nucleus.

Sounds like a plan!

Happy to help!

Hi @noris, as a follow up … My new plan is to reinstall a win10 (64bit) version of Roon on the NUC, to replace ROCK. In that case, I will be able to enable the roon software update download through VPN connection under win10, and solve the problem once an for all.

Before any real action, I was walking through each of the steps to get it done. Reinstall the NUC with win10, then install the window version of Roon seems okay. But I just learn that I might run into a potential problem when restore my ROCK database backup (from ROCK V1.7/Build 521) under window version Roon V1.7 Build 537. As stated in some past posting here, the database backup & restore are supported across different roon software platform (in my case, ROCK to win10 roon) but the roon software has to be the same latest version. In my case, both ROCK and my win10 roon are V1.7, but they are on different build level (521 vs 537), will this be a problem?

Hi @Waters_Wan,

This should be fine, you should be able to restore older backups to a newer Roon build.
Do let me know how it goes and if there are issues, we can take a look.

Finally, I have got a VPN router, connected the NUC to the new router, and Rock got herself updated to the latest V1.7 Build 537 in a short moment Happy !! I will keep the VPN router, therefore no need to install win10 on the NUC. So my roon core will continue running on NUC ROCK :star_struck:

Case closed, thanks again.

2 Likes