rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial

DJD,
I wonder what you are doing that DSP volume got disabled. Here you see my signal path:

As you see I play a 44.1kHz FLAC. After Some headroom adjustment I need for my FIR filters (XO and DRC) I do a sample rate conversion to 192kHz. At the end you see Roon DSP volume.

My physical setup is a Raspberry Pi 4 with rooExtend with Roon Bridge enabled and licensed rooDial controlling DSP volume. The Pi is connected to my ADI-2 Pro Fs R Sound interface via USB.

Please let me now what your setup is and maybe I can help.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

Thank you for getting back to me. I am very encouraged to see that upsampling should work with the rooDial. I will go back and check all my settings and see if I can spot the issue. If I can’t figure it out I’ll send some images.

Thanks

1 Like

@DrCWO

Hello again, I’ve tried a number of things including the latest code, a different RPI…

I’m getting stuck in the licensing step, it seems the extension won’t accept my existing license. Is this something you can help with? I am not trying to get this into another system just trying to get it to work in the home.

Thanks.

@DrCWO
Here is what I get… I have my original license codes but I am trying to install on a different RPI because the prior one was not finding the Surface Dial. I was able to test the Surface Dial on a windows machine and 100% battery and it works just fine.

Please help. Currently unable to use.

Did you unlicense the other pi before trying to license the new one ?

Have you tried pairing the dial with your pi using a usb bt dongle rather than the built in bluetooth ?

Cheers

Matt

I like to inform you that there is a chance to get brand new Nuimos for an attractive price. Please see my Posting hiere:
rooNuimo – best Roon controller ever - Audio Gear Talk - Roon Labs Community

1 Like

I was having trouble pairing the dial, but a fresh install seems to have fixed that problem. I love the extension and the dial. Works great.

A couple of questions:

Q: I assume that I can I have multiple setups on my network by purchasing another license, dial and RPi. Is that correct?
Q: For future upgrades, do we have to download an upgraded version of the image?

Thanks
Timothy

Q: Can I have multiple setups by getting another license, dial and RPi?
Q: For future upgrades, do we have to download an upgraded version of the image?

I’m trying to pair the dial but the light just keeps blinking. Using a rpi 3

Anything specific I should do?

Are you using the inbuilt Bluetooth ? I had to use a usb dongle I just picked up from Amazon… it paired as soon as I plugged it in.

The inbuilt BT on the Pi seems a bit naff (or the case you use maybe blocking the signal)

Cheers

Matt

yeah build in … just took it out the case I was using (akasa) and retried. Unfortunatly it’s still not working.
So ordered a Trust Bluetooth 4.0 USB Adapter. It should arrive tomorrow. let’s see
Thanks @Matthew_Horne !

I had the same problem. But I reset the rooExtend image on the RPi, reconnected it to my WiFi and the dial connected almost immediately. Cheaper and faster than another USB dongle.

1 Like

Having a problem with rooDial extension disappearing from the Extensions list. The rooExtend extension still appears in the list and when I click “Settings” it displays the settings for the rooDial, but the rooDial extension doesn’t appear and isn’t functional.

Restarting the RPi worked once, the second time I had to restart the Roon Server. Not practical workarounds for my wife :slight_smile:

Here’s the Extensions screenshot:

image|690x466

Any suggestions?

in the rooExtend Settings, make sure you have selected rooDial in the option “Controller selection”. Reason: You can either use a MS Dial or! a Nuimo with a single Raspberry Pi.
Also set “Hide unlicensed Extensions” to No to also see unlicensed extensions.

unfortunately that did not work. After rebooting the pi with the bluetooth dongle the status briefly changed to “sleeping” whatever that means but then went back to “unpaired”.
SO revoked the licence again and will try to re-download and flash the software to the card again.
after that I have no more ideas on how to get the rpi3 work with rooDial.

Hmmm - so if you are going to reflash - i would suggest if you can use a ethernet cable rather than wifi… made the process much quicker.

As soon as its running i just held the button on the dial and put it next to the pu for it to connect?

I am using the version 2.02 of the software.

Have you checked the dial
Is working as expected if you linked it to your pc for example ? Once tested dont forget to unlink/forget it in windows as a bt device.

Cheers

Matt

got it running in the end… reflash and usb dongle were needed to make it work.
rooDial now controls volume for my record player connected to bluesound powernode2 :grinning:

3 Likes

Excellent :slight_smile:

This might be a silly question but how is Roon (and through it, the Dial) positioned to be in effect in your analogue chain? :thinking:

The powernode 2 is a roonready amp so a volume change is picked up by the roon core (rock) This works with the analogue input as well as internet radio via bluos.

Rock is just the middle man for the dial.

1 Like