rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial

Update to my RPI 4 problem. I think the issue may have been the power supply I used. The first time I tried to set up the RPI 4 I used a USBC output from a Qualcomm 3.0 rated charger which I already had in a convenient location in the hifi system to power other USB devices. This charger is in principle rated at 5v/2.5a, and the RPI started up and was recognised by Roon, so I assumed all was well. However, I could not get the Dial to pair. I ordered a proper 3a charger for the RPI4, and then tried it again, and it paired instantly. So a further tip may be to ensure that the right power supply is used for an RPI4.

1 Like

Thank you for tis very good tip perfect :+1: :+1: :+1:
I updated my rooDial product page on sellcodes and mention the 3A powersupply niow as necessary item. Thanks

1 Like

DrCWO. Fantastic work on the Surface dial extension - im very close to biting the bullet on one of these

I have been trying for quite a while ‘unsuccessfully’ to integrate a Nuimo (Scenic) Controller to control a dac’s volume via its uart for my Roon setup. All a little above me it seems at present!

I would be happy to send you a Nuimo to see if this was something realistic you may be able to easily add?? To connect the Nuimo directly into a Roon extension would be amazing!

Dear Jonathan,
thank’s for your positive feedback.

I looked for the Nuimo finding out it is no more sold. I will contact Scenic today to get more first hand information on that. Hopefully it is only temporarily unavailable.

I am sure you understand, that it makes no sense for me supporting devices my customers cannot buy.

Stay tuned, I’l let you know…
DrCWO

Thanks for doing this project. I am using both the Microsoft surface dial and the 3DConnection. Both work like a charm :slight_smile: I kind of like the Microsoft surface dial best due to its simplicity.

Have you ever thought of trying to make Roon work with the Devialet Phantome Remote or the Devialet Pro remote?

Never, because I have none. I even don’t know if:

• they sell it without their amp
  • it is a bluetooth device

Any need for that?

What i did is buying a used Nuimo, still waiting for shipment :+1:

Looking at the videos it seems to be a really nice device! Sonos sells the units they still have but no new ones will be produced Senic Nuimo Control Starter Kit | Sonos. Official support ends end of this year. If I like it I will build a Nuimo integration for Roon, no matter who else will be interested.

2 Likes

No I dont have a Devialet. It was just that it feels high end when I tried it.

The Senic Control looks nice.
I would be interested :slight_smile:
I will check it out. Thanks for the heads up.
BR Fredrik

1 Like

Can you explain the advantages (if any) of the Roo6N over the RooDial?

I like the look of the Microsoft dial - but cannot yet find anyone that has it in stock (Amazon doesn’t). So I’d consider the SpaceMouse

But be nice to know the functional differences please.

Thanks in advance

Hello Simon,
I will try to explain. The Surface Dial has to ways of acting: TWIST and PRESS.
This makes it a bit difficult to address many functionalities with it. This is why I implemented a double press and a tripple press to increase the possibilities.

On the other side the SpaceMouse can be TWISTED, PRESSED, SHIFTED in four directions and additionally you have TWO PHYSICAL BUTTONS that can be pressed. You can assign volume to twisting, this is natural, skewing to shirft right/left and for example mute and shuffle to shift to/away from you. Pause an play is normally assigned to press/release.

Beside these functional enhancements the SpaceMouse is much more High End. It is heavy, perfectly manufactured and just looks innovative. I really like to use it.

On the down side: it is more expensive as the Surface Dial.

2 Likes

Thanks -

I like the simple design aesthetic of the Dial - and now found a supplier. So will go that route - thanks for the info.

1 Like

Hi DrCWO - I use a Raspberry Pi4 as a Roon end point - from DietPi on a micro SD card - does rooDial software replace the DietPi and stop the Raspberry Pi from functioning as a Roon endpoint or can the Raspberry Pi be both a Roon endpoint and a rooDial controller? Thanks -Paul W

Yes it does. It replaces DietPi entirely. I believe DrCWO is adding (or plans to add) roon endpoint capabilities to his sdcard image.

Bart you are right. Currently Roon bridge is not included in rooExtend but it will be with the next version (v2.0.0).

Purchased and email confirms payment. But some instructions would really be nice - as not received any!

Message says “You have successfully installed rooDial, testing it and liked it” - I promise you I’ve done none of those things.

Message also says to watch rooDial - Part 5 - but with no link to find it.

Help?!

Roon Bridge will not work on the Raspberry Pi Zero so bear that in mind if you plan on using that model…RPi 3 and above will do Roon Bridge no issues.

Found some support videos on YouTube - but I get an error when trying to flash the files…

"Something went wrong…
“The writer process ended unexpectedly”

My card is only 4gb - could that be the issue?

4GB should be ample - try another card. what software and OS are you using Win/Mac?

I have had the same problems flashing the card on Win10 pro, all I did was retry a couple of times and it worked. The was no obvious reason why it failed initially.

1 Like

Mac OS 11.4. Flashing (or trying to) with Etcher which has worked fine for me in the last.

Please retry, the Image is ok
DrCWO