rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial

DrCWO, are you saying it’s possible to pair the Dial with Harmony Hub? The FLIRC attached to the rooExtend box would be a great solution.

Yes, that’s what I said. There is a Roon Extension called Deep Harmony. You have to install this with the Application manager and after that rooDial uses this.

If you try first make Deep Harmony run so you can control volume via Roon. After that select the zone in rooDial and you sill be fine.

Best DrCWO

Thank you, I’ll look into that. I’ve reconfigured my video setup and now have a spare Harmony Hub!

1 Like

@DrCWO Is it possible to use multiple dials with a RooDial license?

Sorry no :kissing:
One Dial one Pi one license.

Best DrCWO

That’s too bad. I have a challenge I think: My Roonextend box is in my bedroom and I highly doubt the bluetooth signal will be strong enough to reach my living room. Do I need to buy an addition zero w 1 pi then and run multiple roon extend boxes? Is that possible? If so, how do I transfer my license from my current Pi 3 in the bedroom to a new zero w pi?

You can run multiple PIs with rooExtend in one network. To transfer the license just revoke itbin the License Manager and then you can use the key again in a different PI.

To distinguish them you can enter a name for each box.

I assume that the MS Surface Dial has to be in close proximity to the PI or rooExtend box to work? Once paired, it can’t just work anywhere, correct?

Bluetooth device, bluetooth range.

Thank you. Figured as much, but was hoping for something magical to happen.

If you use the antenna from ZEXMTE described in the quick installation guide you will have a range up to 10m.
It depends a bit on the strength of 2.4 GHz WiFi around.

Best DrCWO

Do I need the Zero W to get the rooDial software to work? Or can I use it with my regular Raspberry Pi?

If I can, is there anyway to have the Dial communicate properly if the Raspberry Pi is not within Bluetooth range.

Hello all,

I have been a happy user of rooDial for many years. I ran into a problem yesterday though. I was changing my sub locations which required disconnecting my ROON core. After I did this the rooDial no longer worked. It showed up in ROON with the correct zone identified, version 1.3.2 (it says ‘sleeping, licensed”) but did not respond to turning or tapping. I have rebooted, removed batteries, restarted the server, etc. Nothing activated the dial.

After relocating my subs I tried a few Parametric Eq Filters. Since this is part of the DSP aspect of ROON is it possible that if I use Parametric Filters I can’t use the rooDial? Although, the DSP Volume control within ROON still works.

Any help would be appreciated.

I use parametric filters & roodial without any problems but you could have a local issue. Prove it by disabling the filters. It sounds like your bluetooth isn’t pairing, try powering the dial & pi down for a few minutes and try again.
Is your network connection vi WiFi or ethernet? the latter is more reliable and stable…

Thanks for your response. I have rebooted the pi and dial (batteries out) several times to no avail. This morning I rebooted the router and my server and will reboot the pi one more time. I’ve got a hard wired connection - not WiFi.

I went to the ip address of the pi and ‘refreshed’ the connection (it was connected to the internet). I noticed the same page had the option to return to factory settings - I did not do that.

I fear I need to reflash the mini sd card, revoke the license etc. (Although I thought I read somewhere that one no longer needs to revoke the license.) If anyone can point me towards an outline of the steps to wake the dial from sleep I would appreciate it

Everything you need can be found here:-

Thanks - I’ll check it out.

Ok, technology wimp here. I’ve reflashed the sd card and gotten rooDial to show up in ROON - I still can’t seem to get the MSD to pair though. It blinks and blinks then times out. In ROON rooExtends shows up but now it’s asking for my license key - which I bought 4-5 years ago and have no idea how to retrieve it.

Apologies for so many replies. I was just looking to see if I could find my rooDial license and found some downloads from rooExtend in may ‘21. So I guess it wasn’t as long ago as I thought that I bought the lifetime subscription. I don’t remember but, when one buys a license does the Dr sent it via email? Checking those now but mine may not go back far enough.

The license comes from “sellcodes”.