rooDial technical integration discussions

Hi all,
after a couple of days with pleasant experiences with by now two roodials, I learned that nothing is forever. In my case it’s the connection to Roon 1.8 which obviously is unstable. the roodial device vanishes in the extension section of Roon randomly. Of course I then cannot operate anything.
I tried everything from refreshing the net connection, new set up of Roon remote, new set up of the raspPi zero w -but nothing will work. My home wifi is absolutely stable, everything’s working fine -only the two RaspPi’s losing connection to Roon 1.8.

Did you experienced a similar nuisance or do I overlooked something I should update or change…? Would be nice to hear your experiences.
Cheers from Hamburg
Michael

Michael,
thanks for your experience.
Diapearing extension means either: Roon disconnects or WiFi is not stable. Try to reboot the roon server please.
In my home I encountered no such issues…

Michael, are you using mesh wifi? I am and that caused problems with my Pi hunting for the strongest node signal and when switching between the nodes I kept getting dropouts. The extension continually disappeared from Roon and the only resolution was to connect via ethernet.

1 Like

Got a dial up and running now and it’s excellent - great work @DrCWO. I’ll be getting a couple more once the RopieeeXL integration is live :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Paul,
thank you for your suggestion. you are absolutely right: it was a mesh wifi issue. because of your hint, I could resolve it -thank you so much!
It works fine now and I’m a happy camper again.

2 Likes

Hi Michael, This morning I discovered that “node steering” on the mesh network is what causes the nodes to continually search for a stronger signal. This can be disabled with minimal effect on the network performance & may resolve the dropping of connections.
I disabled mine about 4 hours ago and have not had a dropout since although it’s too early to be sure, it might be worth trying.

Regards.

1 Like

You may have misunderstood. @DrCWO mentioned he’ll integrate Roon Bridge in his own solution, as opossed to the extension getting integrated into RopieeeXL (which is more than just Roon Bridge).

2 Likes

Hi Dr,
have buyed a life licence, 1.1.0, It was easy to install in Roon and worked well for 3 weeks. Then trouble began when I have relocated my system in my house, changed from DietPi to Ropieee, then upgraded to rooDial1.2
I did remove the previous roodial extension in Roon
Installed the new 1.2 version on my piZero, configured the network
Roon discovered the new extension, I see the Dial connected and Roon responding
to L and R movements, but it’s impossible to licence 1.2 version.
Tried many times, but the new extension is still not licenced with the good code from Sellcodes.
Can you help me to sort that mess ?

Buyer: Jacques Legrand
Jml2155423

jml2155@gmail.com

Thanks for the info - I’m fine with changing the OS as long as it’s RAAT as that is what all my Roon Ready devices are on. I appreciate the clarification :slight_smile:

Did you revoke your license before you upgraded to v1.2?

No I did not revoke… Indeed i just discovered how to revoke a licence.
I did remove two extensions before reinstalling my Pi4+Allo Hat and Pi zero.
And now that i finally licenced Roodial, with help from Dr CWO, I still have that removal panel :

Can we have explanations about removing extension vs revoking licence ?

Thanks

The license is for one device only, so currently a major update requires that you revoke the license prior to the upgrade to release it. When you load the new image and link to roon the extension reappears. At that point you add your license in the dropdown box and everything should work again.

You also mention two raspberry devices, you would need a license for each one or restrict control to one of them?

Apparently you didn’t revoke your license (it is still tied to the last build level) so I suggest you private message Dr. Carl with your details as he may be able to sort the licensing problem.

I haven’t seen that error before so I can’t help, although it may also be related to the license issue, Dr.C will no doubt be able to advise you.

Jacques,
revoking the license and removing extensions are two completely different things.

Let’s start with removing extensions:
Roon has a mechanism that discovered extensions have to be authorized by the user for security reasons. So if you first start rooDial you get a button “enable” in the extensions dialog. Pressing this you tell Roon that you trust this extension. You can remove this trust with the dialog you posted. This mechanism is Roon-driven and totally different from revoking the license.

Let’s now look at the licensing process of rooDial:
After having enabled the plugin you must enter the license number you bougt at the rooDial product page via sellcodes. After entering the license number rooDial asks sellcodes if this was a valid license number. If the number was OK the license got granted by sellcodes and rooDial can be operated. This licensekey is for One device only.
Reflashing your SD-card the granted license got lost. So before reflashing you have to revoke your license. This means the license is returned to sellcodes so you can be used with the new SD-card.

Hope this clarifies how licensing of rooDial works.

Can you disable or remove the extension and add it again on a different core or the same core if you had to reinstall it, and then enable it back and not have to redo the license?

You can remove the extension on one core and enable it on an other. This has no impact on licensing at all. Licensing and enabling in Roon are two completely different concepts.

Hi,
I just installed rooDial on my pi3 and paired the surface dial without any problem.
I now want to select an endpoint to control that is part of a zone, but I can only select a zone.
For info, I only have 2 endpoints that are both in one zone. I want to be able to control only my endpoint in my bedroom without changing the volume in my second room.

Jordan

How crazy, at the beginning i displayed devices instead of zones so zones could not be controlled. Zone control was requested and the individual control of devices in a zone got lost.
Now you request individual devices as I had before. So maybe we need both, I’l put it on my list :cold_sweat:

2 Likes

I have installed rooDial 1.3.0 today, on the same microSD card I was using before with the version 1.2.0. I have the ROCK server running on a NUC10i5 and the Roon client application running on iMac. I do see rooDial as extension, but I cannot pair any longer the Surface Dial because the Pair button suddenly disappears. I have done the below steps:

1. logged out from Roon and uninstalled the application;
  2. start Roon, press Enable for the auto-discovered rooDial extension. The Pair button appears for less than one second and then I get Settings over it.

There is no way to press Pair button. Do you know what I should do in order for this button to stay static? Is it a bug in Roon?

Can you enable rooDial in the roon extensions?
If yes have you enteres the licence key?
Is the extension licensed now?
Does the rooDial extension in the Roon settings extensions appear and disappear periodically?

Please send me a screenshopt of the “Settings–>Extensions” page.