rooExtend – The easy start with Roon Extensions

You can run both roo6D and rooNuimo from the same Raspberry Pi.

Meaning, with one Rpi (thus one BT adapter) I can manage both the 3dConnexion Space Mouse and the Nuimo Control?

I use the Nuimo hub to provide BT coverage for a zone that’s at the other end of the house.

As @Klaus_Engel wrote rooExtend allowas the parallel use of roo6D and rooNuimo with ONE Raspberry Pi. The SpaceMouse uses its own wireless dongle so Bluetooth for rooNuimo can coexist without trouble.

Using them both at different locations in your house, it makes sense to run both, the Raspberry Pi AND the Nuimo-Hub. The wireless dongle of the SpaceMouse and also the Bluetooth of the Nuimo only cover some meters.

This also means you have two License Managers running, one at the Pi and the other at the Hub. With the next release of rooExtend coming end of Sept. there will be a switch to hide the license manager till the next boot meaning: No more “useless” Roon Extensions any more :wink:

3 Likes

I have a DAC (Hidizs S9 Pro) that doesn’t work properly with RooPlay. When adjusting the volume the DAC goes to maximum volume at 42 and then goes back to normal at 43, 44, etc.

I’m told this is an issue with alsamixer where all devices are set to 42 and if I change them it will solve my problem.

Do we have access to Rooextend via SSH server. If not, any chance this can be changed by @DrCWO

Thanks!

With a little help from @DrCWO it looks like I’ve solved my problem.

Via terminal I accessed the alsamixer ("alsamixer -c 1) and opened the volume control for the S9 Pro (F6). PCM 1 volume was set to 42. I raised it to 100 (0db) and the volume issue is no longer.

I think this is a S9 Pro problem because I didn’t have it with other DACs and had the same problem with the S9 Pro and RopieeeXL.

1 Like

A visit at Senic in Berlin with some interesting news…

rooNuimo – best Roon controller ever - Audio Gear Talk - Roon Labs Community

Best DrCWO

2 Likes

I’m currently running rooUPnP 1.4.1. It works very well on my first generation Pi. I’ve tried to update to 2.0.2 today but been stymied by the need to have the licence key on a USB stick, which I don’t seem to be able to achieve from 1.4.1.

A couple of questions:

1. All my current UPnP players work well with 1.4.1. Is it worth updating to 2.0.2?

2. If I should upgrade, how do I migrate the licence key from 1.4.1 to 2.0.2?

Have your licence key ready and flash the SD card with the new version. Upon setup you will have to enter the key and you are good to go.
I don‘t understand the usb thing.

1 Like

Yes, I did that and the extension works fine. But I was wondering about the key saving functionality described in the initial announcement:

“By inserting a formatted USB stick into the Raspberry Pi, the license keys are automatically saved in a file on the USB stick.”

Maybe the ExFAT format I like to use isn’t the right choice?

Inserted an old FAT32 USB stick into the RPi4 and the key was copied automatically. Rooextend recognizes the stick and shows it in the extension settings page. It is a convenience feature

2 Likes

Hello,

out of curiosity I enabled the Roon bridge function, but my USB DAC does not show up in audio settings. Is there more involved than just flipping the switch to enable Roon bridge?

Thanks

EDIT: Answered my own question. Tried it with the USB 3 ports, no go. USB 2.0 worked immediately. Cool, one device several purposes.

Yes, the key-saving didn’t work for me (from 1.4.1) and there was no way I could enter the key manually after installing 2.0.2

John, If you have prepared the SD-Card with 2.0.2 and starting it up you only see the license manager in the Roon extensions settings. Open its settings. In the rooUPnP section you can enter your license key. After that the rooUPnP Extension will be started and become visible.

If you have all up and running you can plug in the USB stick and your license code will be saved on it. This USB-stick can be used if you update to the next release.

1 Like

Is there a release date for your new rooHEAD application? :slight_smile:

Well, I am on holiday from end of September to mid October. So my guess is maybe end of October to beginning of November. Right time for headphone listening in winter :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Dr CWO
Are you familiar with the Orthoremote from Teenage engineering ?
Would it not be a nice additional (not discontinued) controller to add to rooExtend portfolio ?
have a nice day
Clem

Thanks for this.

I note that you have rooExtend 2.1.0 rather than 2.0.2, which I have downloaded.

This is what I see when I open up settings:

So no option to enter the key manually or by copy and paste

See my answer here: rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial - Audio Gear Talk - Roon Labs Community

Hi DrCWO,

I’m interested in purchasing one of your custom covers for the Raspberry Pi 4 Flirc case. Could you please let me know how I can purchase this from you?

Thanks,

Mark

Hello Mark,
I expect till mid of next week I add an offer in my sellcodes store. If this is done you can find a link on my website https://rooExtend.com

Best DrCWO