rooExtend – The easy start with Roon Extensions

@DrCWO - I would suggest, instead of adding a “popp”, which would take away from the demo experience you instead offer this as a one week or few days trial. For those of us that have experimented with convolution filters and AutoEq we should be able to quickly feel the value in this being done automatically plus the tweaks you have mentioned here make this a real value. I am sold on it, I don’t need a trial but others might.

The “new” transparency and I agree the room impression (a much bigger room) are truly astonishing.
I will definitely buy a full license when available.
I use Dr. Ulli Brueggemanns Acourate software for convolution filters with my loudspeakers. I consider convolution filters the most impressive upgrade for your sound. This is also true for headphones and the rooHead software.

1 Like

Forgive me if this has been asked already but I can’t seem to find the answer in this thread or in the quick start guide for rooextend.

I plan to install rooextend on a raspberry pi 4B and purchase the bundle software. What size sd card do you recommend for this? I plan to replace roodial with roonuimo on it in the future so would like to make sure I have enough space for it all.

You might look here:

or
you google for a setup video on YouTube

16GB is enough

Where is rooHead in the signalchain? Is it only working for an attached dac to the raspberryPi or is it working for all endpoints at once? Or can you choose your endpoint for headphone use?

If it uses Roon DSP it will be on a per endpoint basis, but I’m intrigued as well…

rooHead is not in the signal chain at all :wink:

It calculates FIR equalizers (64Bit up to 192kHz) and offers a ZIP file for download. This you open in the convolution DSP of Roon. That’s it :+1:

So the convolution DSP running the rooHead equalizer is in the signal chain, not the Roon Extension rooHead by itself.

Best DrCWO

3 Likes

Thank you for clarifying this. I haven’t been paying much attention to the rooHead discussion because I assumed that you were implementing the DSP engine in rooExtend. When you offered to send convolution files to a few people, I thought you were giving them models for Roon’s engine but that was a just a way to sample your models.

Now that I understand how it works, I’m much more interested in playing with it!

I’m curious about something. You mentioned that you might introduce an intermittent pop for people who were using an unlicensed version. That made sense to me when I thought convolution was happening in the signal path on rooExtend. Can you actually do something like that in a convolution model that gets uploaded into Roon? If so, my understanding of how these convolution models work is even further from fact than I would have guessed. This is just curiosity on my part. Thanks!

If it will become a popp or some kind of reverberation we will see. You are right, A Popp would be difficult to realize :+1:t2:

Hi Folks,
on Friday Jan. 15 I will start a two weeks trip to Tanzania :+1: :grin:

As I probably will have no internet connection there please don’t expect any reaction from my side till Jan. 30.

If accidently I will get some connection I will check the forum but please don’t rely on that.

Best DrCWO

5 Likes

Then I wish you an interesting journey :+1:

2 Likes

How do I test rooDial without a licence? I have it paired, the dial says “connected” but it does not control anything.

You can see in Roon – Settings – Extensions your rooDial, rooNuimo, …. There you can see (.) . If you turn the volume of your Dial, Nuimo, … you will see (L) when decreasing the volume and (R) when increasing the volume. (L) stands for Left and (R) stands for Right. When you push, the (P) will become visible. If you can see those changes, your system is correctly installed and you only need a license to do the real stuff.

Oh. Without a licence it doesn’t actually work? I assumed non-licensed would be time-limited or zone-limited (as the settings show), not that you couldn’t actually trial it all. Seeing some text show ‘L’, ‘R’ is not the same as having it actually change, e.g. volume.

Indeed, without licence it will not work. But when you see the (L) and (R), and you can change the volume of your device via Roon with + and -, than you are 100% sure that it will work correctly.

• Open setting of rooExtend License Manager.
  • Locate “Hide unlicensed Extensions”
  • Select the option “Yes”

rooDial will show up and you can pair it with the Microsoft Surface Dial.

After that if you rotate or press the dial you see a reaction in the status line of rooDial.

Best DrCWO
From Frankfurt airport on my way to Africa :+1:

Yeah, I got that far. My misunderstanding from the documentation is that this is basically “verify the software works” rather than actually try it out, is all.

(Though you mean “hide unlicensed = no”, right?)

1 Like

I thought there used to be a “rooExtend box” with all the hardware assembled for sale, but the website doesn’t list it now, just showing the “housing lid” is available.

Does it anyone know why? rooExtend - Home

1 Like