rooExtend – The easy start with Roon Extensions

Hello,
I haven’t find out how to update rooextend and roonuimo without burning sd card. Is it possible ? Do we have to enter serials again ? Or is there an easier way ?
Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

I am out to a live Jazz concert tonight.

What type of Pi do you have?
What release of rooExtend do you use?
More tomorrow…

Best DrCWO

Enjoy your evening :wink:

I have two setups :
PI (A) : I built it recently : Pi Zero W - RooExtend 2.3.2 (Roodial licensed)
PI (B) : I’ve received today from Hörzone : Hardware unknown (inside a box) - RooExtend 2.2.0 (RooNuimo licensed)

How to update the PI (B) and transfer Roodial license to it ?
How to backup settings and licence ? I can see something about it in roon with a usb stick procedure, but that’s not clear for me.

Thanks for your help

Hi @Math,

• Please start with noting the License Key for rooNuimo on your new Pi4 box.
    Alternatively you also can put in a USB memory stick. The key will be stored on it. During this procedure watch the Status line of the License Manager, it will tell you when you can remove the USB stick.

• Next download the current v3.x.x image from my download area and burn it on the SD-Card of the Pi4.

• Enter the noted License Key in the License Manager of rooExtend in your Pi4. Alternatively enter the USB-Stick in the Pi4 and the fresh SD Card and power up the Pi. It will load the License Key from the USB stick. Again watch the Status line of the License Manager.

If rooNuimo is not started enable it in the License Manager instead of rooDial. These two Roon Extensions are mutual excusive caused by the Bluetooth stack I use. So yut have to decide if you like to use the Nuimo or the Microsoft Surface Dial with your new Raspberry Pi4.

Hope this helps.
Best DrCWO

So there is no need to “deactivate” the licence somewhere and to reneable it after burning ?
I just need to burn the sd card with the new version and to enter licence again ?

To tranfer RooDial licence from the other Pi, I just have to enter it ? No need to deactivate it somewhere neither ?

You have to revoke the license going from one device to a different one before entering it.

Best DrCWO

Can you tell me how please ?

Sure :slight_smile:

• Get to the settings of the License manager.
  • Open the section of a licensed Roon Extension (“+” sign).
  • There is a dropdown for that.
  • Select “Revoke License” and press “Save”.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

So, just to confirm : If I burn a new sdcard that goes into the same hardware, no need to revoke the licence before ? (I’m afraid to buy another roonuimo licence…)

This is correct :+1:

Using v3.x.x you don’t have to burn new SD-Cards any more as it has OTA updates at night…

1 Like

Is there a way to keep updated of latest releases changes of all rooxxx services ? Newsletter or something else ? Something straight forward… without reading all roon community threads :slight_smile:

Yes, I post in exactly this thread if there is something new. Scrolling up a bit you will see my postings. Headline begins and ends with exclamation marks.

In some rare cases I also send mail to the address you gave in sellcodes.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

:exclamation::exclamation: rooExtend v3.1.3 is out :exclamation::exclamation:

This should fix the last known connection issue with the Nuimo. It is the same fix I published with 3.1.0 that led to recurring disconnects to Nuimo using it with internal Bluetooth. This should be finally fixed now.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

So with a BT USB dongle rooExtend recognizes this as an Audio Interface. But how do I select that audio output? Can’t see it under Settings/Audio…

Only THIS Bluetooth dongle can be used as an Audio device and will be seen in Settings/Audio.

Roon Bridge needs a reals Audio Hardware to be recognized. Using a normal BT stick this can be included in ALSA only as a “software” audio device not visible via Roon.

Best DrCWO

What about the Creative dongles that were discussed, how where they used in rooExtend?
Plugged it into my NUC running Rock and it showed up right away. Cool, I haden’t thought of this possibility before!
Got my Nuratrue Pro running perfectely.

All dongles that claim to be a USB Audio Class 2 device are discovered by the Core and rooExtend. So no difference here.

This is what I get. No good?

No good, seems to work on Windows PC but not on Linux. Maybe there are drivers that allow to use it inWindows. But definitely not USB Audio Calss 2 :sob: