rooExtend – The easy start with Roon Extensions

Thank you for liking my products :grin: :grin:

Good point :+1:
I ping to check if internet is (still) available and prevent WiFi from going to sleep (if used).

So what options do we have:

1. Ping another provider 8.8.8.8, 9.9.9.9
  2. Ping the Roon core if found. If not still 1.1.1.1
  3. Omit pinging if Wired Ethernet is connected.

EDIT: My favorite would be 2.

Please let me know your opinion and I Try to find a way to implement it :grin:

Best DrCWO

If possible it would be great to have two options ;

1. Enable / Disable the check
  2. Set the IP

Both option default could be, enabled and set to 1.1.1.1

Thnx,
Woody

Ok,
I can put this in the extended options of the License Manager.

• Enable / Disable Ping
  • Have a field of the IP that will be pinged

This is on my list now.

Best DrCWO

4 Likes

Hi,
I think HoloAudio Red looks very nice and promissing but I have a couple of quistions concerning volume control:

1. Beside using Roon “DSP volume” can HoloAudio Red handle the volume control in “Device Volume” mode? If yes:
  2. How and where is the “on board” volume control implemented in Red and is it comparable to Roon “DSP Volume” concerning resolution, dithering and so on?
    Best regards
    Michael

You are right, the Hoho Audio Red is really a very nice streamer :+1:

It’s been quite a while when I implemented rooExtend on it so don’t remember 100%. But as far as I remember it has no Device Volume. Maybe it’s offering it, but if it did, then it wasn’t functional.

But you can go the DSP-Volume path of Roon. I took a lot of measurements regarding Roon DSP Volume. Please see my Whitepaper here.

Roon DSP volume can’t be done better with whatever hardware implemented. :+1: :+1:

I also did measurements with the XMOS volume implementation of HIYINHK . Still good but Roon DSP volume has a 20dB lower noise floor than the XMOS hardware implementation. Still below listening threshold but from the academic point of view Roon DSP volume is much better :wink:

Best DrCWO

Hi @PvWoody,
will be implemented in v3.1.5 coming soon…

Best DrCWO

4 Likes

I’m already using your excellent rooDial, rooPlay and rooControl with your latest update version and everything is fine - thanks! I’m also using the included Roon Bridge in your package for one of the USB ports for my DAC and it works fine as well.
I have a second RaspBerry Pi4 that could be used in in another room with Roon Bridge alone and none of the other options in your package. My question is now if I can install your soft at this second Pi4 and use the included free version of Roon Bridge without purchasing a second license just for this feature alone?
Best Michael

A new way of finding music you like!

Has anyone of you ever tried to find music with ChatGPT?

@Klaus_Engel and I are just starting to think about integrating Roon with ChatGPT. First experiments look quite promising. With ChatGPT, starting with a first description and the discussion of the results offered, you can quickly get to the desired title or playlist.

I recommend get an account and test ChatGPT in respect of finding music you like. I was surprised that I can discuss about LPs of Elvis released after end of his military service in Germany. Try and let us know if you think if this an approach worth further effort.

We are specifically considering a voice-to-text integration. This could be used to discuss music with your Apple Watch, for example. The result at the end of the discussion then leads to playing the resulting track or playlist in Roon.

I’m interested to know how you think about it. :grin: :+1:

Best DrCWO and @Klaus_Engel

6 Likes

Sure :grin:
Burn it, install it and use Roon Bridge included in rooExtend.

This is a free Software from Roon and so it will run without entering any license Keys in rooExtend License Manager.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

Found new offer for Senic Nuimo :smile: :smile:

Beware, the controller seems to be broken.

:exclamation::exclamation: Manual for the rooExtend-Box now in the Download Area :exclamation::exclamation:

Right now I uploaded the German and Englisch version of the rooExten-Box Manual in my download Area.

Many thanks to @Jason_Watts who was kind enough to do the editing for the English manual. That really helped me a lot :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :star_struck:

The software of the rooExtend-Box and rooExtend for the Raspberry PI is nearly identical so most things in the manual written for the rooExtend-Box is also applicable for rooExtend on the Raspberry PI.

In the manual there are also a lot of hints helping to install and operate rooExtend.

Please note:
The SD-Card image of the rooExtend-Box and rooExtend for the Raspberry Pi are different. Please NEVER try to use the SD-Card-Image for the Raspberry PI in the rooExtend-Box and vice versa.

Best DrCWO

5 Likes

:exclamation::exclamation: rooExtend v3.1.5 is out :exclamation::exclamation:

This release came ahead of schedule, but a customer using @Adam_Goodfellow’s Deep Harmony reported an issue in collaboration with rooNuimo.

What is new in this release:

rooNuimo:

• There is an additional long press gesture available now.
    I am sorry but double an tripple press gestures, that some users also asked for cannot achieved with the Nuimo firmware. It is out of my development universe :wink:

• Instead of supporting one Radio Station and one Playlist you can configure four in each category. So using rooPlay you now can have a gesture to start playback of your turntable and have additional Radio Stations still available.

• Fixed issue with Deep Harmony.

General changes:

• The regular ping to detect internet connectivity can now be turned on/off an the IP address pinged can be set individually instead of 1.1.1.1.
  • Fixed issue not starting Roon Display on HDMI output if the hostname was changed.

Hope nothing else got broken as there is already some other new code in for future things being demonstarted at the HigEnd Audio show in Munic end of May.

And as always the automatic update will occur next night between 2 and 4 AM or can be carried out manually.

Best DrCWO

4 Likes

Hi, @DrCWO

Can you possibly provide us an update on the latency/wake from sleep issue? Thanks.

Still no solution on that, sorry :cold_sweat:

:exclamation::exclamation: rooExtend v3.1.6 is out :exclamation::exclamation:

It includes a further fix for rooNuimo being used with incremental volume devices like Deep Harmony.
It will now be tested by @Anthro and hopefully the issue is solved now.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

@DrCWO Strange, I am already living in the future. I have already rooExtend v3.1.7. :smile:
Thanks for the update.

:grin: :grin: :grin:
Anyhing is fine, I discovered a small issue in v3.1.6 and shot out v3.1.7 without further notice.

1 Like

Apologies, stupid question, if the only rooExtend pi is hard wired on the network, then is there still a risk turning off the ping feature? I am asking because under the License Manager it says it’s not recommended.

I use rooWatch, rooDial, rooUPnP, and rooHead, simply amazing, I can’t thank you enough.

1 Like

Thanks’ for your positive feedback. Hope you also spam your channels with it.
I’m also always happy about positive comments in Sellcodes. :smiley:

Regarding Ping:
In your case I would just try. I don’t expect any negative side effects if used with Ethernet.

If you like you can try to direct the ping to the IP address of your Roon Core.
So Ping continues working but inside you own network :wink:

Best DrCWO