Roon 1.1 crashing my Mac BADLY[Solved]

Help - V1.1 locked up totally after install, leaving me with a blank screen and a 1000% locked up Mac. Force-Quit does not work. I had to crash out, rebuild disk directory with Disk Warrior and do same with external drives that were attached.

Back up and running, all looks good, listening to Bob Dylan in the background. Roon stops, cursor goes beachball, machine again totally locked up. Only exit by crashing abut again.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 16 GB

Where can I find logs etc? Don’t want to launch Roon again

Hey @robfol – sorry for the trouble here. I’ll be in touch via PM and we’ll figure out what’s going on here.

Stand by!

In modern operating systems, an application like Roon should not be able to crash the entire machine. This is either a bug in OSX or failing hardware.

@mike is going to get more information, but a bunch of users have found that they have failing drives. Because Roons hits their drive pretty hard in its databases, it can sometimes cause a machine kinda limping along luckily to become symptomatic quickly.

I’m not saying your drive is failing, but if I were you, I would be checking that out in parallel with @mike’s investigation.

On OSX, this is super easy to do a quick check (if you are familiar with Terminal.app) … just run sudo dmesg from a terminal and see if you have any SATA/ATA/sdX errors.

Hey @robfol – we sent you a PM with some information about how to get us your logs.

Take a look and let @vova and I know if you have any questions.

Hi Mike, logs sent yesterday as “robfol Logs” Cheers Robert

Hi Danny. Many thanks for thought, drive is recent Mac SSD, have run sudo dmesg, Disk Genius and Apple Diagnostics and all appears to be OK (fingers crossed) seriously backed up too. Cheers Robert

Danny, recognise this error at all?

0 [Level 7] [Facility com.apple.sandbox.telemetry] [com.apple.sandbox.event com.apple.sandbox.event.get-task] [com.apple.sandbox.path /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.stclairsoft.AppTamerAgent] [com.apple.sandbox.path2 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DataDetectorsCore.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/DataDetectorsDynamicData.xpc/Contents/MacOS/DataDetectorsDynamicData]

ERROR: opCode = 0x0406 (Disconnect) – send request failed (err=0xE00002EB (kIOReturnAborted))

[0xffffff80597ff600]free
[0xffffff805981ba00]free
[0xffffff80597fd900]free

Hi Danny, In the last two days I have had 4 kernel panics on my MacBook Pro. Previous to the roon 1.1 install crash I have had none since Yosemite came along. Can the roon install crash have caused this? I have now reinstalled Yosemite 10.10.5 and hoping! Cheers Robert

According to https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6492659?start=0&tstart=0, it looks like that is caused by a bad driver.

There is a good comment on that site:

Any third-party software that doesn’t install by drag-and-drop into the Applications folder, and uninstall by drag-and-drop to the Trash, is a system modification.

A kernel panic is just a crash, but at the operating system level. A driver or the core OS X are the only things running at that level.

My guess is that the Roon install is coincidental.

Thanks Danny, stripping things out of the system right now, but think I will have to gp for a wipe, reinstall OS X and restore DATA. Going to see if I can wait until El Capitan arrives. Machine seems to panic when playing music, which is really annoying (-:

Tell me a bit about your audio setup within Roon… Networked or USB or built-in? Do you panic when playing built-in in non-exclusive mode?

Music on Macbook Pro local built-in SSD, playing out via USB to 24/192 powered Eclipse TD-M1 speakers. Always have used exclusive mode. Not been using room at all as cannot risk more problems on a working machine. Last panic was while playing out of iTunes. In every case music stops, beachball appears, Mac locks up totally. So no music for the moment!

I think the failed room install damaged something at system level.

Running sudo dmesg has only found an error once

The only way Roon can install anything at the system level is by the user of the Mac granting it permission to write to the system level. Unless you got that prompt and typed in your Mac’s password, OS X would have prevented this from happening.

When you dragged Roon to Applications or ran Roon, you should never have been asked to type your Mac’s password. If you were, please let me know. Something is very seriously wrong if you got this. Roon installs NOTHING at system level. So unless there is a virus or malware attached to Roon, there should be no reason you ever get this prompt for your Mac’s password.

We went through a lot of trouble to do this on OSX and Windows (thus the %localappdata% install directory). We don’t install drivers, dynamic code injection, or anything of the sort. We integrate only at sanctioned points and use no undocumented APIs.

I’ve just grabbed our DMG and confirmed that it is exactly what we uploaded, and it asks for no password. I am very concerned about distributing malware or viruses by accident, so please let me know if you got this prompt.

If you did not, then I posit that this is not Roon that is causing your Mac to crash, nor did Roon do anything to cause this.

That said, I’d still like to help you fix your situation. Is iTunes just playing out the system output or via some audio hooking driver?

If you open Terminal.app and run:

system_profiler -xml -detailLevel full > ~/Desktop/output.spx

Email me that output.spx (it’s on your Desktop) and I can help you debug your system. contact@roonlabs.com

Thanks Danny File en-route

To recap, the Mac panicked during roon’s own auto update to V1.1.
Locked whole machine at end of update
After crashing out, reboot, roon fired up OK, updated all DBs fine, then panicked about 10 mins later
Machine panicking ever since

The iTunes panic was just plain vanilla iTunes via USB out
Couple were roon playing USB out
Some have just happened

on mac, all updates do is download data, copy files, and relaunch.

upon relaunch, the install script just moves the new files into place and starts up like normal.

I still think this is coincidence, but let’s see what your spx file says.

Thanks Danny, appreciate the help. Doing all my listening on an Acoustic Research M2 portable for now.