Roon 1.2 Feedback Thread

Background playback isn’t the issue. I explained it here.

Just when I was getting tired of a daily pilgrimage over to the Community looking for a new release - you guys go and release this! And it co-incided to the hour with my Sonicore Orbiter being released from Customs and getting here.

So all in all, a happy day for my hi-fi. 1.2 went where I wanted to go with a few surprises too. iPhone support means not only have I got a spared Macbook Pro that has been set free by a Roon Ready SE, I don’t have to use the big iPad Pro if it’s not convenient.

Outside the clamour of cries for what’s next, what’s missing and the offence caused at daring to finger Apple - I just wanted to say that Roon continues to enthral me and I remain daily grateful for the work you do, the product and service you provide. It gives me endless hours of joy - it gives me back a taste and passion for music that I thought had been destroyed in this age.

I thank you.

3 Likes

FWIW, I (pretty easily) installed RoonServer on my CentOS and Avoton c2550-based DIY NAS last night, and on initial evaluation seems to run well enough with my pretty small library.

But I may look into this idea of moving the data storage folder off the HDD array and onto an external SSD.

Really impressed with 1.2, BTW, overall. The phone apps were a nice surprise.

Great release, RoonBridge on RPi3 is working like a charm, the iphone app is gorgeous, keep up the good work !

1 Like

The two computers are connected via wifi. The macbook pro is connected to the dac via usb.

A post was merged into an existing topic: iOS Backup function?

Awesome update and seamless upgrade. USB DAC working well and waiting for a RPi and Hifiberry DAC+ Pro to try Roon Bridge I2S output to my Buffalo II DAC…

Great stuff guys - go Roon, go!

What I like about Roon is the little things. For example, I just discovered yesterday that the Audio Zones popup panel has working play/pause buttons on all the active zones:

And the new Group feature with 1.2 is terrific…

What does “more configuration options for buffer sizes” mean?

Also if I try to edit a track, I just get a blank dialog.

I used the new method of combining Multi-CD sets into one. First one I tried I’d rather the Disk 1 and 2 be reversed, because one disk is just a bonus one. Can I do that?

But 1.2 is truly amazing! I’m new to Roon, and what an exciting time to join in!

Hi Stephen, welcome to Roon.

The Roon Knowledge Base is a good source of information.
I just did a search in there for “buffer size options” which found a hit… Check it out.

[quote=“Stephen_Dawson, post:151, topic:9463”]
Also if I try to edit a track, I just get a blank dialog.
[/quote]That’s a bug that somehow crept into the last build. Alpha testers hang head in shame_ :wink: The Roon devs are aware, expect it to be rectified early next week.

I’d start by checking / setting the disk numbers tags within the files themselves. Then getting Roon to rescan the albums.

I can’t see exactly what’s changed with regard to buffer size options (working from memory because I’ve upgraded to 1.2 everywhere).

I thought the new method of merging albums was an effort to negate having to play with file tags. Maybe when the track editing big is fixed there’ll be something useful in there!

Thanks very much for the help.

I wondered how you got this to work so well across platforms. FWIW, I used to run .NET Language Development at MSFT, and know Miguel and crew. Good to know that Roon is based on such great technology

1 Like

Just downloaded the Roon iOS app. The layout is great and it works well!

Btw - the app for iPhone

Thanks for the Squeezebox specific zone icons, guys. Nice to have smart looking pictures of the Transporter and Touch.

Now, if could just have a specific icon for my Modwright Transporter with the valves stuck out of the top :grin:

Tried the new phone remotes, on both android and iphone. Both look great, awesome job guys. I’ll keep using a tablet or laptop for remote as I like the extra real estate and the layout, but I had to congratulate you on the job you did for the phones. I didn’t expect you to pull it off as nicely as you did.

Running RoonBridge on a BeagleBone Black as I type this. The linux arm version you have for the Pi works flawlessly on the BBB, easy install script works as well. Had to upgrade my libc version as roonbridge required a newer version that the one that came with my BBB image, but after that it started running without any issues. BBB appeared in the zones at roon server (as did the DAC I connected to it) and I could configure/enable it.

Time to finally start giving a more definitive look at my system, now that I have what I needed, the Roon interface/features and a little bridge that can network enable any USB audio device/DAC.
Happy days. :sunny:
Thank you Roonies! :thumbsup: :heart:

3 Likes

I’m liking 1.2 very much so far, but I have a question:

I’m a bit confused about the new album grouping screen—it used to have a search field where you could find songs that went astray, but it doesn’t anymore. Instead, there’s a text saying Roon is displaying all tracks in folder X. Is it really as simple as that now?

I.e. if the songs are in the same folder, they will show up there. And if they’re not, you can’t group them as an album (though I don’t know why you would want to). Is this correct?

We may add searching back in later, but the screen has been redesigned based on the feedback we’ve heard. The most common flow seems to be “select the content you want grouped, and then merge it”, so that’s how this works now.

You can select albums or tracks in the browsers, click edit, and then organize them into albums (or discs). You can also use the editor to remove extra tracks, or to rearrange tracks into discs if they’re not quite right.

For now, you need to select the content you want to organize before entering the editor (as opposed to searching from within the editor). If you want searching back, definitely let us know. Thanks @Lundmark!

Oh, I see. Not sure I need it—I was only ever using it to add back songs that somehow ended up in another album. Has there been any improvements to album detection in 1.2?

Really, all it needs to do is to group albums exactly as the file structure, which unfortunately wasn’t always the case in previous builds. If 1.2 does that, which the new text seem to indicate it does, I won’t need to manually group albums anymore.

If your tags and folder structure are in line with what’s described here, you should be in good shape.