Roon 1.2 Feedback Thread

Awesome! What a treat, I came home thinking it would be another two weeks before we saw that!
Downloading as we speak (UK)

Not such a crazy request, but not a simple one either. Youā€™re really requesting 2 things here:

• Offline mode, meaning ā€œremotesā€ work when theyā€™re not on the same network as the Core. This is something we are planning for the future, although I donā€™t have a firm timeline here.

• iOS playback ā€“ this is something weā€™re hoping to make progress on as well, as @brian mentioned further up the thread.

I think weā€™ll get there in the future and we all want this too. Lots of work to do, but thatā€™s never stopped us before :smile: Thanks for the comments @Spence_Marquart!

Well, what can I say - great update!

Came home and did a quick precautionary backup, followed by an update of RoonServer on OSX, Roon on OSX, then got the message above and downloaded an iPhone (5S) version! No sign of the iPad version yetā€¦

The OSX versions feel fasterā€¦ much faster, and Iā€™m noticing some nice UI tweaks. It remembered my zone setup perfectly (I only had one!).

Youā€™ve also cleared one of the things that drove me slightly (and inexplicably) crazy - the ā€˜you havenā€™t played anything yetā€™ history warning. Its no more. Gone. Vanished. History opens in a snap! Thank you! I forgot to put it on my 1.2 wish list so its like a bonus present.

The iPhone app is a real treat. Yes, at first glance things are a touch small on the 5S, and the different menu order threw me, but small details. To be able to control things from the phone will be a massive enhancement in our household - taking our remotes from a single dedicated iPad, to three devices. This is really quite significant, especially once we set more than one room up.

Lack of Pi image means Iā€™ll have to save that project for another time, but its exciting to know its there.

Sorry to the few people that have had some issues, but I still think we should let the team turn off their phones, shut down their emails, and head off for a nice long rest. Well, maybe not too long :wink:

Amen, Mike. One step at a time. Appreciate all you guys do and looking forward to playing with the new Roon iPhone app when I get home from work today!

Iā€™ve previously been told by Roon that I couldnā€™t simultaneously send music through the Mac Mini in one room and airplay devices in another. If it can be done then Iā€™d like to know how.

Great update guys! Lots of nice looking features in this build.

None of my top 3 made it in to this one, but Iā€™m now hoping for the next build. I have a simple ā€œlistening roomā€ setup without multiple zones etc, so my top 3 are all related to the actual interface, metadata editing, album art, album grouping etc.

I saw that improved box set handling was mentioned, but I see no further details about this. What are the changes made here?

Edit: and I have just spent 15 seconds with the iPhone remoteā€¦looks excellent! :smiley:

Edit 2: I think Iā€™ve just worked out what the box set improvement is; itā€™s on the editing side, not on the interface side. Just easier to edit tracks in multiple-disc sets.

Simultaneous is a bit ambiguous here as it could refer to either of two things:

You can send different music (audio streams) to the MacMini zone (now a Core RAAT zone) and any AirPlay zone at the same time. Just select each zone in turn by clicking on the zone icon (between the Signal Path light and volume control on the footer bar), choose the music for that zone and play it.

Zones of the same type can be grouped. Grouped zones can play the same audio stream.

Zones of different types (RAAT, Squeezebox, AirPlay, Meridian) canā€™t be grouped. There are fundamental differences in the way each of those types of zone implement audio streaming. Maybe one day @brian will figure out how it can be done (itā€™s not simple) but that is not this day.

Hmmm, the you havenā€™t played anything yet dialogue box is still driving me mad here even after updating everything.

Looks like some nice improvements with this build but my system has been reduced to a crawl for about 3 hours. Itā€™s constantly indexing small numbers of tracks, finishing, then finding more. Itā€™ll run through the night so hopefully by tomorrow I should be returned to a usable responsiveness.

Iā€™ll report back.

Got some weird number in the volume slider on both my remote systems, see attached. the iPad reads correctly at 0db.

I spent a night with 1.2 at home and I found this is just fantastic. The 1.2 breaks a barrier between network devices and USB devices, 1.2 also removed a boundary between cheap devices and high-end devices. Possibilities are countless!

I also found iPhone version is live in this morning. But I could nothing to do as I was in a trainā€¦
I hope your next move would be ā€œCloud Coreā€ that Roon is able to distribute music everywhere on earth !

4 Likes

Finally got home and played with 1.2 last night. My wishes are fulfilled. Now I can stop worrying about architecture and enjoy the music. Have just downloaded the iphone app but will have to wait to test that - looks awesome. Roon guys - you are an amazing team. The development is swift and well thought out and the response is first class. My congratulations and thanks for all the hard work

Yes, it may well be network congestion. I am able to play 320K MP3 radio smoothly this morning.

Gonna take a while to provide some specific 1.2 feedback. I am so excited about the iphone app Iā€™m not paying attenetion the rest. :slight_smile: Yet.

Very nice job guys.

If this the jump from 1.1 tot 1.2, then Iā€™m really curious what 2.0 will deliver :slight_smile:

2 Likes

All good! All my nagging yesterday RIP.

After iPad 1.2 itā€™s all good. Only doubt I have. All I had to do was open App Store and click update > it took like less than a sec > and itā€™s ON.

EXCELLENT TEAM ROON!

Congrats on 1.2. Like the changes so far.

I am a bit confused though about the revamp of the ā€œFix Track Groupingā€ feature. Before, I would rip 2 CDs in a box set and then use FIx Track Grouping to find the other disc, then move it to correspond to the first disc to create a 2-CD grouped album. Now, the search function seems to be removed and as a result, when I rip 2 discs in a box set, they appear as 2 different discs with no way to group them. Iā€™m sure Iā€™m missing something so please help me out.

Start by selecting the two discs in the album browser that you want to combine. Then click ā€œEditā€ then ā€œMerge Albumsā€.

You can use filter, jump, focus, etc to locate them if theyā€™re distant from one another. Often sorting by ā€œdate addedā€ will put things on the same screen if you are dealing with stuff that was added at the same time.

We considered the ā€œsearch for missing tracksā€ part of this screen extensively before electing to remove it. What we found was that while it did work sometimes, it took up valuable real-estate that could be more productively used to enabling disc-level reorganization.

It may come back in a different form depending on how much feedback we get on this. We might also address that use case elsewhere, maybe in an improved version of the track browser in the future.

1 Like

Hi Brian,

This has been eating me up for months but after seeing your post above about Xamarin I decided to create an account and ask you. There are 2 things stopping me from buying a lifetime license for Roon 1) is the inability to play or integrate Groove music files which I already have a 3 year subscription for 2) Not a Universal windows App (UWA) which means I canā€™t use it on my windows 10 phone (Lumia 950XL) or Xbox one.

I had pretty much made peace with it until I saw you were using Xamarin and Roon is based on .NET and OpenGL. Iā€™m begging you on my knees to make a UWA version so I can turn my Xbox one into a RoonBridge. There are over 20 Million Xbox ones out there surely you want that too, not to mention the other 270 million windows 10 devices out there and all it will take you is about 5mins with the new Project Centennial that Microsoft just released (well according to them one minute and no coding required) and since your app is not based on Win32 or running NT services you should be good to run it on all windows 10 devices. They converted an humongous game like The Witcher 3 to a UWA on stage!!!

Heck you could even use Project Islandwood which is an ios to windows 10 bridge to convert the app to a UWA its up to you. I just hope you have pity on us poor folks in the windows ecosystem, I want to buy this app badly. Are you going to be at Axpona? Also how psyched were you guys when Microsoft made Xamarin free? :slight_smile:

1 Like

RoonBridge is almost entirely C/C++ with heavy reliance on win32+winsock. All of our audio stuff is native, with lots of platform-specific code, unfortunately.

Itā€™s also a long-running service that needs to do networking (discovery, connection mgmt) in the backgroundā€“which isnā€™t totally in line with the limitations Microsoft put in their Windows App stuff either.

Annoying response, right? These guys with their locked down platforms are really ruining all of the funā€¦weā€™d love to support it if it were tractable.

Also how psyched were you guys when Microsoft made Xamarin free? :slight_smile:

We are psyched because they will have more resources and Microsoftā€™s cooperation now, which means that mono will get faster, and more stable. Itā€™s also nice that itā€™s open source. There are many times in the past that weā€™ve wasted time reverse-engineering closed portions of Xamarin to deal with our own problems. Itā€™ll be nice when we can poke around in the guts freely.

Was excited to hear the new iPhone Roon Remote App was out, but then fell flat when found out it only works from 5S and above.

I have an iPhone 5 & 5c and neither of these work with Roon Remote 1.2. I realise you have to have the necessary power in the phone to work all the items (5s has an A7 chip), but still disappointed as iPeng, Audirvana, etc. apps all work on the 5 & 5c.

Not having a go at Roon as must be so hard to keep everyone happy, but general comment as now have to keep using my MacBook Air to control Roon (and I canā€™t justify the cost to update my phone just for the Roon Remote app).

Well done on the new Roon 1.2 release.

Cheers
John