Roon 1.3: Custom images are loading slowly on Android

Now that custom artist images can be added via an Android remote, I added a few and noticed that they are loading much slower compared to the images that are provided by Roon.

If I select an artist with a default image the image is displayed instantly when the artist page is opened, if an artist with a custom image is opened loading takes 4 seconds. During this time the albums of the artist remain gray boxes.

The images I use are 1920x1080 and they all open as a full banner. Although it looks nice, with these load times Iā€™m better off using the default images.

This slow loading also happens with extra album art images. I added a few back covers and if I browse through them I get the animated Roon logo for 4 seconds.

System summary
Roon 1.3 core (build 196) on NUC6i5 - 128 GB SSD, wired gigabit
Roon 1.3 remote (build 196) on Google Pixel C - wireless ac
Storage on Synology DS215j - wired gigabit

@support, can you check if you see a difference in load times on the Android devices that you have available?

Is there anybody around who tried these features and can confirm the issue?

Hey @Jan_Koudijs ā€“ thanks for flagging this. @vova and I will have a look and let you know what we find.

1 Like

Also when a custom image ends up on the overview page, for a featured artist or composer, the loading takes longer, and blocks the loading of the other images.