Roon 1.3 Feedback Thread

Just let me point out that I’ve spent more debugging time on this than on any software upgrade on my many digital devices or at work in the last five years, and I’ve worked in the business for decades so I understand these things pretty well. CIFS/SMB is not as well-specified as some other protocols because it’s fundamentally proprietary, so developers have to be very careful with their assumptions about initial negotiation, error returns, timeouts, etc. As for ‘complete mess,’ having your Core or library go AWOL is pretty unsettling (did I lose my Roon database with all that carefully curated data?) and totally disables Roon. Yes, after all those debugging hours I figured out a simple temporary workaround, but I got almost no help from Roon support in doing this (I wasn’t even asked for logs and I was told to just reboot the NAS, which takes time and messes up other things like all the other uses of my NAS), and AFAIK I’m still the only source for the easier workaround in this forum. By no means the best support I’ve experienced, even relative to company size. Update: more SMB woes, not on Linux.

2 Likes