Roon 1.3 Feedback Thread

So I have to ask, because I am weak (and because I don’t have a 600k track library to test on): What CPU are you using? How is the performance in general and search performance in particular?

I’m only replayed :slight_smile: Someone else downloaded all Internet :wink: Not me. I have only 5% tracks (30k +), nothing special. But this is very good question…

So what’s monster PC works with this library, whats powered Core with 600k tracks and 90+ watching folders? Mac Pro aka trashcan? HP80? :wink: Something bigger than that? And ofc final exp. with this super duper big library.

I have an album named “Jazz after midnight”.

When I search for it, the drop down list filters it correctly and it is listed as I type.

However when I click on it, the album is not found but only “jazz” and its subgenres are listed. The search results only contain genres.

On the other hand when I search it as “after midnight”, the search results are correct and the album is listed…

I believe this is because the album name starts with the word “jazz”, however I don’t know if this is a bug or a previously known normal behavior of roon. @support

I can reproduce the same problem with that specific album…

I tried the same thing with the album “pop trash” from duran duran considering that the problem might occur with albums starting with genre names… but everything was ok in this case … Anyway the problem is consistent with “jazz after midnight” album…

+1 Android Galaxy S6

Much, much better :smiley:

Hello Roon,

I am very impressed by the accomplishments you have made with 1.3, but I am overhelmed with all the activities in the different threads. From what I can see you have a very demanding audience.

I like to keep it simple so I am very happy with the possibility to play around with the DSP and the possibility to stream MQA trough an Explorer2. No additional requirements to fulfill from me:-)

BR//Joakim

1 Like

I’m very, very happy with 1.3. Upgrade was painless and easy.

I’ve been running Roon since the first day of 1.3 with no problems.

Core - Windows 10 PC (quad core i5 with 64Gb of memory)
Music stored on core PC
Remotes - iPhone, iPad, Android tablet, PCs
Endpoints - Emotiva XMC1, HiFiBerry Dac+ for home office, AppleTV for bedroom.

I’ve just tried Roon with v1.3 and I have to say that I’m very impressed with it. The interface is great, and the metadata really enriches the experience of browsing my music library. Taken together with the Tidal integration as well, I’m really loving it.

2 Likes

Today I bit the bullet and purchased a lifetime membership. Before Roon I would never have considered spending that sort of money on software.

3 Likes

Yeah, I have the same question. I have some hi-res files I downloaded from HDtracks and Roon 1.3 properly passes that 176kHz file to my Chord Mojo (as the sample rate indication light on my Mojo is ‘aqua’). The Tidal MQA files when streamed through Tidal’s desktop (without using Roon) similarly indicate an 88kHz or 96kHz file (yellow or green light on the Mojo). But when I stream those Tidal tracks through Roon 1.3, they only show up as a 44kHz (red light on my Mojo) file.

Is there a way to stream the hi-res/MQA file from Tidal using Roon 1.3?

Not yet, but I’m coming. As of right now only the Tidal desktop app can decode MQA to 88.2/96.

Yes, as long as you are streaming to a certified MQA dac, the DAC itself will do the unfolding. The Chord Mojo is not one, however. And I’d be surprised if it will ever be a certified MQA dac. But, that is a different discussion.

As of now, Roon has not added in MQA decoding and the Tidal software is still the only one that does the software Decode.

Am running 1.3 (build 200) and I’m really impressed how it works with my Qnap server now.

Just checked the Squeezebox Touch downstairs and Roon controls it brilliantly!

Many thanks

1 Like

One minor “bug”.

I now run Roon Core on a Ubuntu server (16.04) and access it either by iPad (wireless) or PC (wire). Server is hooked directly to router as is PC. iPad connects via Wireless supplied by router/gateway.

Roon on PC seems to act either as client, or as core, because I often am requested to change to a different library (therefore core). Cool - I should uninstall on PC and install a simple client.

But when I use the iPad to control Roon, sometimes it replies that it cannot access the library and would I like to access another one. Since the library I was on was Ubuntu, and by choosing a different library, the same Ubuntu server, I get going again.

This suggests either clients or server are not flushing last library used etc.,

Slowness of client accessing core - solution is to hard wire core to the router/wireless. Then all works ok.

I also use SONOS and it is best NOT to link Roon core to SONOS circuit by wire. Some might think hard wiring Roon Core to SONOS booster might facilitate Roon playing to SONOS appliance. Yes and no.

I recently successfully upgraded to Roon 1.3 (build 200) on Mac OS X (iMac Mid 2010, 4GB Ram, 1TB HDD, OS: 10.6.11) as well as my iOS iPhone SE

My library is small around 400 cd’s, Everything went smoothly during and after the upgrade.

Many thanks to the Roon team for this great upgrade !

Continuing the discussion from Roon 1.3 (Build 204) is live!:

Confirmed. Dropouts are vastly reduced and playing from TIDAL is now instantaneous on my setup. Previously, I had a 1-2 second lag between starting a new stream and audio starting.

It’s too early to be absolutely certain, but I may be experiencing fewer dropouts as well on the latest build.

My system has been running smoothly but I spent the day converting it from Arch Linux to Debian Stretch, just to cut down on possible incompatibilities on the bleeding edge. Backed up my database before wiping the drive, twenty minutes later up and listening again. Some hitches getting going after the initial update to 1.3 it was but well worth the effort. It’s amazing piece of software. Took me longer to fix my fonts in Chrome :joy: Now if only there was another day left of the weekend…devs?

1 Like

I am just coming to the end of my two week trial and will soon become a paid yearly subscriber (I’ll upgrade to lifetime when I have a spare AUD650).

I am really enjoying Roon, I’ve had two instances where Roon crashed since I installed the first release of 1.3 but since then its been rock solid and I have had no other issues with my Meridian set-up.

I have been an iTunes user since 2006, only because my hi-fi was boxed up in England waiting for me to settle in one place, I’m getting used to editing and tagging (its pretty easy, although some aspects are confusing).

So far my only criticism is purely cosmetic. I’m not keen on the transition from clicking and album/artist to the next screen. It just flashes up. To me there should be a more polished/prettier transition from screen to screen. This is for the iOS apps as well as the MacOS app. Very minor complaint really.

I’m loving it, thank you RoonLabs, I am a convert.

2 Likes

I still have this issue in some albums. I search an album that i know is there. But when i search for it the album is not there. However i can find them by browsing artists or albums. But the search doesnt return a result @support

Overall LOVE Roon and 1.3 makes it even better. Heck, the update was free!

I found the DSP feature interesting, but probably not for me…

44.1 files upsampled to DSD 128 do sound better. Especially Tidal!

DSD 64 files upsampled to DSD 128 sound worse. Definitely would not use the upsampler on my DSD files.

96 192 files do not sound better upsampling to DSD. Right now I am trying to determine if upsampling these to 384 improves sound.

DSD 256 does not show up as an option, even though make equipment supports 256. Shared this with Roon support, but they did not respond. Old school but wish you could call someone for help.

Some clipping requiring headroom -3 to avoid on most, but not all, files.

EQ’s are pretty complicated with not much in the way of instructions. Yes, I’ve looked at the stuff on Roon and online.

I think the DSP is more trouble than its worth, but fun playing with it. MetaData tools are great!

My equipment:

Roon Lifetime, Aries LE, Lampi Atlantic DAC, Headless Mac Mini running core (3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7
16GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM 256GB Flash Storage)