Roon 1.3 is not detecting new DSD files

This looks kind of like some other entries, but it’s not the same problem as far as I can tell. I bought two albums from HD TRACKS, both of them in (FLAC) DSD 2.8. My Roon CORE accepted one of them but not the other. First I tried adding the album to a watched folder. Then I dragged it directly onto the open Interface. It worked on it for awhile but nothing I did makes the album acceptable.

I am running Roon 1.3 with the core on an iMac. I am using an Oppo HA-1 for DAC and AMP.

Which Files from HDTracks are having an issue?

The album is: Mozart: Piano Concertos 21 & 21 (arr. I. Lachner for piano, string quartet and double bass). The file format is FLAC, DSD 2.8 . The other album I bought had the same format. This is the first time trying out DSD. I’m sure there’s other information about these files but I don’t really know the patter yet, so I don’t know.

I use ROON constantly and have pretty much figured out how to make it according to my needs, but there are still a few things that are either quirks or things I just don’t understand. And there’s one thing I really don’t like and that is that customer support is dodgy at best. I don’t think you guys (ROON) realize how incommensurate your support is with the cost of this product.

And I don’t think you realize just how small the Roon team is versus the size of the user base and the inevitable rash of issues that arise following a major release. :slight_smile:

Although I don’t know the exact number, I do sort of understand your situation, and within reason, it is relevant to me. But it still isn’t as relevant to me as it is to you. My responsibility is to pay the somewhat substantial fee. I don’t mind the fee and I understand it. Although the program is somewhat complicated, especially for one not born with innate ability to engage the distinctive patter of the audiophile, I have very patiently learned enough to sort most of my problems out on my own. I don’t complain very much at all, and I think I took pains to say how overall pleased I am with the product. I just think there ought to be a way to get a more direct answer in a timely way. I realize that it’s a problem, but my criticism was not intended as destructive, so, respectfully, I think your testiness is a little misplaced.

I’m not sure still what format the file is ? You say FLAC, DSD ? It can’t be both… what is the file extension ?

1 Like

I contacted HD Tracks because I didn’t understand that either, and just heard back that they were the problem because the order actually had "FLAC"listed as format, and DSD 2.8 listed as Bit rate. They reset the order so I can re-download so in a fortnight, when the file has finished downloading, I’ll report back. Thanks.

1 Like

[quote=“Stephen_McLeod, post:6, topic:19885, full:true”]
Although I don’t know the exact number, I do sort of understand your situation, and within reason, it is relevant to me. But it still isn’t as relevant to me as it is to you. My responsibility is to pay the somewhat substantial fee.[/quote]
Er, are you under the misapprehension that I work for Roon? Because I don’t. I pay my fee just like you do.

Hi @Stephen_McLeod – we sometimes hear from people that are surprised we don’t have “direct contact” for support, ie there’s no email or phone number, and we do everything out in the open.

However, we almost never hear complaints about our support team’s knowledge of the product, or our willingness to stick with issues, follow up, and work on problems until they’re resolved, even if it involves troubleshooting hardware and networks that are only barely related to Roon. Our track record, transparency, and dedication to supporting our product is one of the reasons we’re comfortable doing support in the open like this.

Sometimes people do wait a day or two for a response, just like they would with email support, but we stand behind the support we provide Roon customers 100%, even if our response time at the moment is slower than normal (and slower than we’d like) in the wake of 1.3.

If you ever feel like you’re not being taken care of, please message me directly.

For the issue with these flacs, can you let me know the path where these files are stored, and maybe upload a file or two to Dropbox so we can take a look? Just make sure to flag @support when you get back to me, so we get flagged for your message.

Thanks!

1 Like