Roon 1.3 : Top Priorities

Banking off of the northeast winds
Sailing on a summer breeze
And skipping over the ocean like a stone

One day we will do this with Roon, but I’m not betting on 1.3. Sounds like the kind of thing that might need a 2 in front of it.

I “desperately need” mobile offline use of my Roon database and music. Note that this is not just to do with phones (although I have the biggest iPhone 7 which would work pretty well) but also to do with laptops.

I spend much of my life on the move with my 1Tb MBP and would be able to fit a good subset on that.

Not only a matter of getting access to the music (I can do that with export, as I currently do) but of being able to use and edit tags and metadata in a seamless manner. And of course play counts.

3 Likes

Streaming from my home is still the main reason why I use Jriver. While I’m walking, rollerblading, driving in my car, or at work I can stream everything from my library at home, to my phone, uncompressed if you want. No Hi resolution of course, that gets converted.

It does take a bit of knowledge on how firewalls and routers work but the end result is, I don’t store any music on my phone anymore.

I hope Roon offer this soon but I’m not sure if Tidal would be integrated smoothly, since its already being streamed to your home then again to your device. I have a feeling this is why they haven’t offered it yet.

But you can stream Tidal to your phone today…

Tidal yes, Roon no. There’s lots of music that Tidal doesn’t carry that I have. Then you could use Roon’s Bookmarks to play all your saved Playlists. Almost all playlist or random plays from streaming services are limited in what they do. That’s were dedicated software programs excel, ie. Jriver, Roon. You can get very specific, to what you want to listen too, with these programs.

Not a “top” priority, but annoying and perhaps very easy to solve. I am so used to swiping on my Apple Magic Trackpad: swiping to the right with two fingers to go back, swiping to the left with two fingers to go to the next page. This does not work in Roon and it’s frustrating. It’s not logical either, as swiping up and down does work. Would be so much easier and intuitive than having to click on the arrow to return each time. Or do I overlook something in Roon Preferences or MacOS Settings?

EDIT: in the menu option “Overview”, swiping to both the left and the right DOES work, making it even more strange and illogical that it doesn’t work elsewhere in Roon.

7 Likes
  1. I know that it’s out of your plans the folder based browsing but it will be a welcome addition.

2. Support for lyrics in custom made collections. I have some handmade collections for quick access. When I play them I have no lyrics. Maybe a simple search only with artist and track name.

3. Duplicate album view. I have many albums and I discover the duplicates by accident or using Foobar2000 filters. Maybe an overlay icon.

4. Proper support for Greek Artists. I know that we are a very small market and I can’t ask for much. But the matching between greeklish and greek is something that can be done.

1 Like

Duplicates: Focus/Inspector/Duplicates

I know this is on the list, but for me it would go a long way if the “Radio” function would find Tidal database artists, not just whats in my library. One of the main reasons I bought into Tidal was to find new music, similar in genre(s) as to what I have currently accumulated over the years in my FLAC library. The Focus feature does help, but is a little more tedious to find new music on the fly.

5 Likes

A way of connecting away from your home network (port forwarding maybe) would be great. To be able to connect in your car using Roon would make it perfect to me

2 Likes

To repeat- Radio function needs to be include greater discovery based user option:
-Off/On user selection
-Continuum from only my music all the way to most discovery within full Tidal tracks.

Thanks for making Roon even better.

2 Likes

Also integration to Windows icon / taskbar with basic actions. It will be nice to have just the three buttons:

Back, Play-Stop, Forward

so that we can have minimized the window.

2 Likes

I’d like to have this on the Mac too. Most music players let you play/pause from their Dock icon, but Roon does not.

Why not simply use the physical keyboard buttons? It’s quicker then navigating to the dock.
This works both for core and remote machines

I don’t have keyboard buttons and it is not my preferred way to use a music player. Roon should eventually support all the standard methods of interaction.

It would be nice to see bit rate and sample rate in the track list. That way we can sort with DSD at the top! It would also be nice to see this info at the bottom where the playing now info is rather than having to click on the dot for the pop up.

A horrible idea in my opinion. For me a music player should give me information about the music not about the format. It’s good to have a way to show technical information, but this should be behind the curtain.

I kind of agree, the music should come first and the format should be irrelevant. But I know people also will listen to better recordings for the sake of it and not just the music they love because the mood takes them.
The trick is to get the music you love in the best format available.

Roon however has to cater for us all no matter how wierd our world view. So this kind of thing should be an option for those who care about the tech that much.
I can’t think of an occasion I would want to move the highest res to the top of a playlist, leaving me the worst recordings to look forward to?
I buy the best I can and listen to what I want regardless of format.

Thoughts, Chris

1 Like

1.) Language other than ENG support, restore or completely rebuild https://dev.roonlabs.com/translations/?id=6768 if it was abandoned
2.) Sorting, moving radio stations “customly” by user with mouse or with help of touch-screen-gesture

this will come as soon as the translations are done – that link is active and if you speak one of the languages there, i encourage voting/translating