Roon 1.5 Feedback Thread

Indeed, Jeff, thank you!

I had, in fact, flipped this option off after posting, and, while the situation was greatly improved, my collection still required a great deal of manual culling in a lot of these cases.

Fortunately, the “process” of combining these is quite easy now! I can only hope “tagging” receives a similar amount of TLC in the future.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: 1.5 Database update not completing [Resolved after 5.5 hours]

Perhaps Roon should take a leaf out of Windows book and do a backup before an update is allowed to start, or at least check there has been a recent one done?

Amazing release!

Wow. Simply wow. Fantastic release Roon Team!!! Very happy chappy…

My impressions of 1.5: generally peppier performance. Albums load quicker, TIDAL more responsive, and newly set endpoint defaults work without lag. MQA and Versions are non-events for me (thus far) but I was impressed with how well thought-out both seemed to be.

My priorities remain “on the roadmap”. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great upgrade.

Enjoying Roon MQA decoding I think it sounds really terrific and a step up on my two main systems and I really mean that!

Being able to continue with Roon DSP as well - chapeau! This being one of the ‘doing things differently’ I recall Danny mentioning previously.

Improved album version control - big thumbs up from me.

Improvement in radio capability. First time I’ve been able to add high res/ flac stations.

Thanks team

1 Like

I noticed that after the update I have 1 album less from the total album count. Is there any way to find out what happened or if this album is missing (or was added wrong before…)?

I’m wondering if the “missing” album might now be regarded as a duplicate and not counted.

1 Like

Roon guys — I skipped the accolades and went straight to the questions, because I think “fantastic release” is on by default. But that’s not fair, it is indeed a fantastic release, more so than any fair expectation.

4 Likes

The device default settings is a really nice thing.
Not just for first time users, or new hardware installs — I have gone back over my existing devices and set each of them to default.
Simplicity!

1 Like

We’ll take a look (cc @john)

Upsampling is a special case–it’s impossible preserve MQA rendering instructions across a sample rate conversion–they have meaning only with respect to the decoded 88.2/96kHz stream. So Roon automatically bypasses the upsampler in cases where it would disturb the DAC’s ability to render.

Other DSP (room correction, eq, etc) is left in the signal path in all 4 of the configurations, since it isn’t fundamentally incompatible with MQA Rendering.

In other words, if you would rather use Roon’s SRC than the MQA rendering stuff in the DAC, the setting you found is the one that you want.

4 Likes

I think my Project S2 also took a manual selection to ID.

1 Like

strange, i did not have this problem with mine

mine is sat behind a rPi with RoonBridge so not sure if that is a factor.

mine is behind RPI3 + RoPieee at the moment

It should, if you set the setting in Roon for your DAC to Render only (since your DAC does not decode MQA, Roon will)

This was mentioned previously, but i didn’t see any feedback…
A lot of music on Tidal is seemingly MQA content Authenticated at 44.1khz, but it seems Roon ”upsample” this to the 88.2Khz Decoded state:

Is this intentional and in that case, can someone explain this behaviour?

2 Likes

There’s no upsampling happening in Roon here. This is a common point of confusion about MQA–the 44.1kHz means is that the master recording used to make the MQA file was 44.1kHz. In their terminology, 44.1kHz, is the “original sample rate” of the master.

The MQA file still contains a stream at 88.2/96kHz. When we decode the file, we are decompressing the file to that resolution. All MQA files go through the same decoding process in Roon, regardless of the sample rate of the master recording that was used to make the file.

2 Likes

It took me a while to appreciate all that Roon offers; today any effort has been rewarded many times over.

Superb release that offers more than I could have hoped for.

Whilst listening to Roon Decode some Bowie MQA favourites for an old but excellent Meridian MS600 in the office, I realise that this will make many legacy products find new life; music newly minted.

And being able to listen to the excellent Absolute Radio 24bit/48kHz radio streams…the future of radio is here!

Can I buy the team a virtual beverage? :beers::beers:

Richard

12 Likes