Roon 1.5 Feedback Thread

That per album or universal? If per album it’s more needless curating

Yes you can. All you need to do is tell Roon what your DACcan do (it will almost always know) and leave the Decoder on. That means most times, do nothing. If you don’t do any DSP in Roon then it will pass everything through. If you do DSP (excep upsampling) then Roon will software decode and pass Rendering info on. If you do DSP upsampling in Roon then Roon will software decode and upsample but won’t pass 9n Rendering info because Rendering is upsampling and you’re doing it in Roon.

Most times, you don’t need to do anything. Roon will pick what is best.

1 Like

It’s per album, just like it has always been. The Roon default has always been to choose the highest res version as the primary. You have to change it manually per album if that isn’t what you want.

How’d we go from grouping to resolution and the bastard love child of mp3 and flac?

2 Likes

Great update.Roon is getting better and better. I’m greatfull by the effords you Roonguys put into Roon. After 9 month using Roon I can’t imagine a life without, so I will upgrade my mebership from annual to life soon. Keep up the good works!

5 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: 1.5 Database update not completing

How come I still have duplicates in the artist page, or am I missing something? I have the core and the app on my iPad also updated.

Cheers, Russ. I updated the core first thing this morning. Perhaps all I have to do is wait.

Continuing the discussion from Roon 1.5 Is Now Live!:

@mike
Does this mean a stand alone Roon for mobile, which doesn’t need a Roon server (NUC, SonicTransporter, etc).

1 Like

Yes, you can see what Roon is doing in the signal path.

Hi Chris.

Do you have Show Hidden Tracks and Albums turned off? If not, I’d turn it off and see if that helps. Otherwise, there are a number of possible reasons for this, including:

1. The different versions have different numbers of tracks, so aren’t considered duplicates.

2. Some of your versions (TIDAL in particular) are getting their Roon metadata from different album groups (because, for some reason we were unable to equivalence them), so they are treated separately.

In a situation like this, I select all of the versions that I consider belong to the same canonical album, do an Edit / Group Alternate Versions, and then pick the Primary Version I want.

1 Like

1 Like

@joel

Maybe change how versions are shown ?

This is a badass update!

1 Like

I’ll give that a shot. I do like that DAC and it is nice for the price, for sure, and it also gave me 6 months of MQA I wouldn’t have had, until Roon 1.5. But I have not found that it sounds as good as the DACs at the $100+ price point (for obvious reasons…no I don’t expect Champagne at Bud Light prices). What I wonder, though, is whether the firmware/filter issue with MQA isn’t making the non-MQA content on the S2 sound comparatively worse. A DAC that is only good with MQA isn’t that good. They gotta fix that!!

1 Like

Lets have a youtube video buddy :slight_smile:

1 Like

The MQA issue with the S2 DAC only appears when it’s doing the full MQA decode. If you have Roon (or Audirvana or Tidal Desktop App) do the first unfold, you won’t have any issues with MQA with the DAC. You’ll see MQB on the DACs screen when it’s in rendering mode.

I didn’t have any issues with non-MQA stuff. In fact it sounded great with Roon up-sampling everything to DSD512 and PCM768kHz, for me.

1 Like

Indeed, Jeff, thank you!

I had, in fact, flipped this option off after posting, and, while the situation was greatly improved, my collection still required a great deal of manual culling in a lot of these cases.

Fortunately, the “process” of combining these is quite easy now! I can only hope “tagging” receives a similar amount of TLC in the future.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: 1.5 Database update not completing [Resolved after 5.5 hours]

Perhaps Roon should take a leaf out of Windows book and do a backup before an update is allowed to start, or at least check there has been a recent one done?