Roon 1.5 Feedback Thread

There’s no need to bypass DSP since Roon preserves MQA information (reinserts) after first unfolding and DSP processing. Go to device settings and look at the MQA capabilities option. You’ll want Roon to do the decoding and your DAC the rendering.

There’s a full explanation on another thread; I’ll post this later if I can find it.

I can read a lot of MQA here. But that is not what I looked for - and mybe my issue is not what other people are looking for.

I hoped for a better internet radio integreation in ROON 1.5. Ok, I see the FLAC-option, but “the rest” in still far away from high-end.

So I have to say: ROON is all in all great, but - sorry - internet radio is still poor.

Christoph

2 Likes

I like the improved versions tab, only disadvantage for me is: If I want to focus on Multi Channel I only see part of my collection, because stereo and multichannel are in 1 tab and only the primairy album will show up in focus.

The same behaviour with bonus tracks, I prefer to have Hi-Res stereo main albums as primairy, but focus (or show all tracks for an artist) does not show the bonus tracks on the remastered deluxe album. For the Radio function I want only to focus on main album tracks.

Now I have to manually go to a multi channel album to play those and check all separate albums to look for bonus tracks if I look for a certain b-side or rare track.
The over is a great start, would love to add label and catalogue number in the view on the right, wikipedia kind of info would also be nice to see what would be the difference between the versions without opening them.

Good job so far with improving this wonderfull program

Try reboot the core after 1.5 update, solved the problem for me

1 Like

Thanks. I restarted it a few times and it is behaving better.

Well done Roon team! Once again you are delighting this customer. Loving every new feature in 1.5 :clap:

2 Likes

But I want to do full DAC decoding. No software decoding.

Wouldn’t setting the MQA capability in device settings to decoder and renderer achieve that?

1 Like

So far, the only real upgrade for me with 1.5 is that I don’t have to restart my iPad three or four times a day anymore. And much faster, esp with Tidal - no longer getting the flash of “network error” message. Could care less about MQA but I guess nice to have it sorted.

I want UI/display stickies! (i.e. ability to leave the main menu open) And two click deletion, and back buttons that take one back to where one actually was, or wants to be, and better cover view display (p.i.p. would be nice of what’s next), and sticky on which sort to always go back to (album for me).

So hopefully we get lots of UI tweaks and customization ability in the next version. But good job on increasing the stability for now - makes it a much more enjoyable experience.

You can, but then you can’t use DSP. Set the DAC (or transport) to Decoder and Renderer. The advantage of using Roon is that DSP may be applied after decoding (the first unfold) with the MQA data reinserted afterwards so the DAC can complete the second unfold, i.e. the rendering stage.

2 Likes

“Roon is about the music not the files”

Really? Roon is about the files and how they are managed, I’m about the music I chose…maybe a mission check is in order by the Roon team

Bring back the previous version of versions please

I find the new iteration of versions just fine.

3 Likes

It’s magical. I just love it!

Ok so just to understand this completely: If I play the Tidal version of R.E.M.: Leaving New York (listed as MQA 44.1) on Meridian Explorer 2 with Roon doing the decoding, it plays a 88.2 stream (the leds on the E2 indicates 88.2).

And if I play the same song with the Meridian Explorer 2 doing the decoding it is still playing a 88.2 stream even if I cant see it anywhere in the signal path and the leds on the E2 indicates 41.1)?

A post was split to a new topic: PS Audio DirectStream issues with MQA after 1.5 update

Try it with the S2 as just a renderer. You’ll be surprised, I definitely prefer it.

Here are a few desired features I’d like to see (beyond what I’ve already seen is coming, my apologies if I missed these):

1. That EQ changes could be made with no audible “blanking” interval. Every time I change the EQ (which I often do), the sound cuts out for a fraction of a second. This makes it difficult to change EQ when listening with others (they always are annoyed by these “dropouts”. Technically, I understand why Roon chose to do this as the “purist” option, but I’d vote for a smooth transition where the new EQ settings can phase in. This might involve some slight audible degradation for a fraction of a second, but it would allow for changes without the discontinuity.

2. iOS iPhone app to include full functionality (currently the iPhone app does not allow for DSP changes or various other features like favorites, overview, etc. that are available in the iPad and OSX version of the app, and I could very much use these. Also, perhaps a unified iOS (same for iPhone and iPad and that also allowed for vertical orientation rather than the iPad’s current only horizontal layout

3. That DSP changes could be made in some sort of window that stayed permanently open even while starting and stopping (or changing) the tracks. Currently, I have to go back and forth and fully reopen the DSP window. Current UI is better than it was, but having an always open DSP window would be great

4. Allowing the equivalent of the current “Genres” (which I use a lot) to be started via any given tag. Currently, it seems I have to go to an album that has a given tag and then click on that tag to start a “shuffle” play session based on that tag. This latter method works, but it would be much easier to just have this feature folded into the “Genres” section/function as an option.

5. It’s very quick and easy to “Add To Library” a Tidal track. But it would be nice to have a “Remove from Library” in this same location (rather than having to search and find it and eliminate it differently.

6. Wishful thinking request 1: some sort of enhanced HRTF like what’s in Smyth Research and the coming Creative SuperXFi Headphone holography https://us.creative.com/sxfi/. I’d definitely pay extra for that. Your current Crossfeed is nice, but the industry is moving beyond that…

7. Wishful thinking request 2: I’ve always wanted a “draw your desired EQ curve” feature. Currently I like the EQ features you now have but sometimes I just want to make a given thing happen but don’t want to have to figure out several different bands to make that happen. Also, a simple “loudness contour” feature would be nice to add to the current EQ section. The reference level could be user adjustable.

8. Wishful thinking request 3: Roon capable of running fully from an iOS device as the server. This would be great.

Thanks again for all you do, I love Roon!!

4 Likes

I didn’t think much about the update to 1.5 but oh boy when I put on some music today it sounded beautiful. Really Roon is the most wonderful music tool I have found in 40 years in this hobby. I just couldn’t believe it when I saw my NAD M51 screen read 96k as I put on a Tidal Master of some Beethoven Chamber music. The sound seems to me to be pretty much the holy grail…you guys are great ,Thank you.

7 Likes

Great update… but shouldn’t the signal path have a blue dot for MQA instead of purple?

1 Like

Best update ever. Love the MQA integration. Finally my McIntosh headphone amp is applying the right bitrate for MQA content (had some problems with the actual Tidal desktop app). thank you, thank you Roon!

– WW