Roon 1.6 changing edited covers - Frustrating

But what do you think about my posted video?

This is exactly what I had done - but Roon is now ignoring the edits. It says in the Knowledge base, that as soon as you edt - the Edit will prevent all updates in the future. (Which makes perfect sense)

It does not say anything about having to change the Metadata preference also, after the Edit. That would also mean that one has to do it twice for every album…

Note what Mike wrote above:

He states very clearly here that an edited album cover is not updated (supposed )

What you wrote is, for the general setting, wher you actually want Roon to update. These are different problems.

Once you edit - there will (should) be no update, since you chose FILE over BEST for that album, by picking the Cover art from the FILE

You might want to go to the main Import settings for your library (Settings/Library/Import Settings) to see what the current settings are. My guess is that they are “Best”. You might want to change this to “File” and save the settings.

That is NOT what Mike said in his post. Once again:

However, cover art can change if an album’s cover art setting is “best” – in that case, when higher quality cover art becomes available Roon will do what you told it to do – pick the best quality art available.

Thanks Geoff - but that is completely beside the point. The whole point of editing is that you make a decision for that specific album. There are many albums where I amperfectly happy with what Roon has to offer, the ones where I am not - I edit (that is the whole point) So globally changing settings to file would be wrong, since then I would not need Roon :relaxed:
So it is a mixture, mostly BEST is ok - if not, I edit.

That I believe is what the EDIT function is about.

OK - I give up. Hope you get it sorted…

The quote that I posted, is what Mike posted.Have a read through the thread. Sorry you mixed it up

Once again to be very clear: I chose FILE for those specific albums - not BEST!

This is from Mike:
Automatic metadata updating always happens separate from edits you’ve made in Roon, and the same goes for album covers and artist photos: Roon will only download new art for the "Roon cover’-- never the images you’ve added on your own.

Thanks Geoff. I had no idea about that.

I have been having this issue as well for a long time but except for some favorite albums it wasn’t important to me so I was only noticing occasionally and changed the covers back. I can imagine why this behavior would be really upsetting if you had invested a lot of work. Seems odd, though. Is there no way that roon could set that flag automatically if you have gone to the trouble of a local edit?

PS. Confused now. I cross-posted with the OP’s last comments.

Hi Tony In the post of Mike he answered two different questions from 2 users - one of them me.

The answer to my question was, that edited album covers should never change.

The answer to Esskay was that album art where the setting is put to BEST can change as Roon tries to get higher quality images. So yes these can and will change from time to time. Often noone will notice, since it is the same picture just better quality.

But once you EDIT the picture and choose your own it should never change.
Otherwise editing would be senseless.

Obviously only users that actually chose and edited their coverart will notice this problem. I have nearly 4000 albums and it happened to about 70 or 80 of them.
So I am sure many might not have noticed yet. In 1.5 I did not have this problem at all.

BTW - this is what is happening at the moment - no this is not normal behaviour:

Communication outage of some kind.

That’s what I am confused about. I don’t do it it by any means all the time, but with favorite albums where I often have several masters, I will hunt down the correct covers or scan my own. In my case I have the global default set to BEST. But I have never explicitly set the album level button to FILE where I have made these edits. It never occurred to me as mostly the roon philosophy is that it will take care of the details so you don’t have to.

So if I have made a manual edit I have just assumed roon understands that is my priority at an album level even where I have the global switch set to BEST. Seems I am mistaken because for sure every now and then I would notice an album cover change. It doesn’t happen very often so I just changed it back again and forgot about it. But I am in a catch 22 situation. Because of my editing habits it doesn’t make any sense to set the global switch to FILE, and from what you are saying that is no safeguard either anyway. So confused . . .

Mike should make a very clear statement on this. So the confusion ends.
Since in the Album EDIT you choose BEST, ROON or FILE - so once you choose FILE it should never change again. That is what Mike wrote above, but few sentences down he wrote something else (answering someone elses question) - so now everybody is confused.

Mike - please give us the definite answer on EDITED album covers.
And please fix it, so that edited covers do not get updated. It really is a lot of work. Thanks

I think there are at least two distinct use cases because this switch can be set at 2 levels in two completely different parts of the UI. Both at a global and an album level.

1. I think in your use case you have everything set globally to FILE and you do not touch the album level switch. So you are expecting FILE every time.

2. In my use case I have everything set globally to BEST and I do not touch the album level switch either. So I am expecting mostly to get BEST but where ever I have made an edit at an album level I am expecting FILE even though I do not explicitly set the album level switch.

and that is exactly how it should be -it is the only logical way. Globally Roon does a very good job, once you edit you tell the programme, no I prefer my own info and cover, then Roon makes a note of this and leaves it.
That is also what Mike wrote (as I understood it) and logical. Editing is the exception to the rule and should always be treated like that by Roon.

Otherwise in “normal” unedited albums I am very happy if Roon updates and gives me a better quality picture.

Yes, I hope this is also the case that once edited, Roon will no longer try to update the cover art. But then it begs the question, why are there three options here? Surely two (Roon and File) are all that are needed, because if a better version of a Roon-sourced cover becomes available in a metadata update, then it would be automatically updated under the Roon choice anyway… Let’s wait for Mike…

2 Likes

I have also experienced that my big and well edited collection suddently has many “cheap” looking and non-original, generic covers. When I try to edit the non-original covers, the seach functionality no longer seem to have access to the original covers. I am deeply disturbed by this - could it be a licensing issue, where Roon no longer has access to original covers? I probably shouldn’t have bought that lifetime membership a couple of months ago.

@Mike
The problem is contuing, Roon is still changing covers of edited content. It actually did it yesterday on an album I had just listened to (with my cover) later it suddenly had Roons cover. I had set it to FILE, later with the new cover it was suddenly switched to BEST:
This is a bug.

Please give me / us an answer as to why this is happening.
PS: This did not happen in 1.5
Since a couple of days it is as if a little troll comes by and redoes my collection every time I look at it.