Roon 1.6 Feedback Thread

The queue looked funny. Play next replaced the queue. Add to queue worked as expected.
Everything else I need worked well.
Now I have to reach out for one of my other iOS or MacOS devices.
I will survive…

Thanks worked this time, no update when I first tried

2 Likes

The next big round of stuff out of our new machine learning/data infrastructure (and the ui improvements that go along with it) are going to have some nice stuff for classical listeners. You should give “randomized play” a fair shot. I’ve added more stuff to my library testing this feature in the past few months than the year prior. I think it will be a nice kick to get a lot of us out of our collector caves.

I’ve also been leading discussions about more tactical improvements recently, so that we can fit some of that into the schedule in the coming year too, for example: Grouping Issue Redocumented

6 Likes

Are you talking about the new footer design? You can get to the queue by pressing the “Queue” button. The main area of the footer opens the new “Now Playing” screen. Separating the two screens gave us space to make both of them better.

1 Like

In general: ROON was and still is a great piece of software. But as Jonas_Ekroth said „A dissapointing release for me personally. …. I never really understood the interest for the radio function. Why would I want to listen to randomized music.“

I – and a lot of other people I think – have been waiting für a internetradio integration on ROON level. Nothing happen – or did i missed something?

4 Likes

Most of the work on this was done over the past 9 months or so, but it didn’t end up complete/polished enough to make it out the door in 1.6. At some point we have to draw the line and deliver a release. It’s still coming.

15 Likes

Check the appstore it does not autoupdate apps

@brian Great to see Roon Radio integration which lifts Roon to the next level of evolution.
Just a quick question: how does it determine if I like or dislike a song and adapt the machine learning process ?

Regarding UI/UX update - when will this crucial area be adressed?

Was there any work done to RAAT? I’m playing very familar stuff and it sounds better than ever.

3 Likes

Nothing that I can think of.

2 Likes

Great work - many thanks.

One question: Is it not possible now to turn DSP completely off ?

Thanks. Must be my joyous mood with the 1.6 upgrade. Music some days sounds better than others. Thanks. Great work.

2 Likes

DSP was always completely off when all of the filters were disabled, going back to the very beginning.

We killed the global on/off switch primarily because it was causing a psychological illusion that “DSP Off” sounded better for people, when in fact the button did nothing additional if all of the dsp items were already disabled (as they always were by default). Re-structuring + renaming the switches (there is now a bypass all switch on the filters section, which appears only after you’ve enabled something) was done to mitigate this effect.

So basically–the old DSP enable switch gave people something to flip on/off that in many cases did nothing, but people them think they were hearing improvements. And that’s just bad stuff to have in a product + in the conversations around it.

13 Likes

Thumbs up for the live song texts! Love this.

1 Like

Many thanks Brian for this detailed answer.

2 Likes

Looks like a a great update, looking forward to the Radio features. While I don’t care much for Qobuz myself it’s good to see Roon adding more services, if anything to keep competitive, glad they came around
to Roons thinking. That said I just signed up again for another free trial to the hires streaming so now I can direclty compare the two services on the same system using the same technology to see if there really is any differences sq that people say there is.

Well done team.

4 Likes

It depends on the feedback. Some of it takes effect pretty quickly (e.g. “i don’t like this track”). Other feed back types are fed into learning models that update much more slowly. It’s best not to try to have too strong a mental model here–everything is subject to change over time, and will evolve silently as time goes on.

It is being addressed continuously. We updated now playing, queue, footer, and DSP screens in this release. Last year, we updated onboarding and zone controls and the playback controls, and so on. Eventually the whole app will have rolled over to the new design.

@brian @mike This is a very nice release! So many changes and improvements that I probably haven’t seen all yet…
I’ve spotted one strange thing though. In DSP->PEQ I use a narrow dip with a Q of 12. In 1.6 I can only set the Q to 10. If I manually set it higher it resets to 10 on save. Luckily I have my setting saved as a preset and loading this works, but results in an ‘overflow’ for the bar.

Why 12? Just curious…that’s a pretty extreme Q. We could open up the range, but it works against making the dynamic range of the sliders nice.

(Also @vova, lets get this screenshot into a ticket so we remember to deal with it)

Loving the ‘Now Playing’ page and the ability - when Radio has found something that I like - to add the Tidal album to library with just one click.

Some suggestions for the future to make the Radio function even better …

(a) Options (each of which can be yes/no) to specify whether to search (i) my collection (ii) tidal not in my collection (iii) tracks that I have not played before

(b) Vary level of matching (tight … random)

2 Likes