Roon 1.6 Feedback Thread

This is what you would experience if you told Radio to stay inside your library or if you had some other issue that prevented Roon Radio from launching (internet connectivity issues, server-side problems, or if you tried to start Roon Radio from unidentified content or content we don’t know enough about); those feedback options only interact with the new algorithms. In the local library case, the song selection would be really close to the pre-1.6 experience.

Much of the W8 product strategy has been incorporated in W10.
Doesn’t really matter TBH. W10 is great.

I like W10 but only after you install Classic Shell. Then it looks like W7 with some of the nicer/newer features of W10.

We need a “Classic Shell” for Roon to restore it to the old UI and still get the new Roon features :slight_smile:

1 Like

Strange as I see the following if I skip a track in Radio, the thumbs up and down are the blue and pink circles partly obscured by the ‘tell us why’ window, I have Tidal and Qobuz and have not limited Radio to just my library, something is either not set correctly or broken for you?
Incidentally I find the Radio very accurate in my limited testing so far, just one or two clear misses in a full days listening.

@

2 Likes

Yes you’re right. That Oct 18 update was tremendous…

You don’t have to use the randomized music. Choice is a bless.

I tried to but my IOS devices automatically updated. Now I can no longer play from me each chair. Bummer.

It wouldn’t disappear. It would be there as an alternative version! It just wouldn’t show on the album screen etc as if Roon thought it was a different album.

1 Like

Thanks @allan Ok so yes i only use local files. I have 20k of them though, love having complete albums but often only like one track on an album so would be great to be able to thumb up/down tracks as needed. Though this wouldn’t work if radio works at an album and not a track level. All the more reason for ability to rate individual tracks!

Also any chance you can show user tags for the track on the now playing screen? I tag each track a rating (in the absence of track ratings) so really useful to see tags there where it’s showing file type.

Really liking the additions though. Cheers!

I’m not expecting anything. My “wonder” is based on the fact that Tidal seems to be cooperating with the Roon Radio feature through an account that does not pay for Tidal’s services. I don’t think there is ad-supported playback in Tidal, because I went to the Tidal website, and every time I tried to play a track, it directed me to choose a subscription plan. If I was to expect anything, it would be that Tidal and Roon will figure out that this is going on, call it a bug rather than a feature, and update the software so that we are forced to pay extra for Roon Radio.

Another bonus of this apparent bug, if Tidal content will not play through Roon Radio without a paid subscription, is that I don’t have to suffer Roon playing a Tidal version of a track I have in my collection. That appears to be a complaint about the Roon Radio feature. I would be upset too, especially if it’s playing a lower-resolution version. Tsk, Tsk…

Yeah, that’s the real problem, that the Qobuz albums are often not recognized as versions of the same album. It isn’t really that it’s a duplicate, it’s just a mishandled version. That’s a clear bug, I’m j7st filing that.

2 Likes

On Mac, using Time Capsule, it is easy. First rename the new Roon.app, as Roon1p6.app for example. Then Open Time Capsule, go back the she day before the upgrade of Roon in the Applications folder and restore Roon.
Done. It works perfectly - I have just done it for reasons which I will explain in the other thread about Roon 1.6 AUDIO feedback, that focuses on sound quality. And there, the feedback is different.

This is a good way to corrupt to your database. We’ve seen many users have database issues after using Time Machine in this way.

We appreciate all the feedback, and we’ll be discussing this all on the product team’s call tomorrow, but I just want to be clear that Roon doesn’t support downgrading – if you follow these instructions, there’s a good chance we can’t help if something goes wrong.

Nope, DSP was disabled.

It’s a duplicate in the sense that in many cases Roon is identifying the album as being the same version as the one already in the library, but showing it twice.

I’m trying to figure out the benefits of using a Tidal login that does not allow playback. I guess it may allow for a different Roon Radio experience playing local content which may be better for some than the old Roon Radio.

I’m not sure I would have said “so that we are forced to pay extra for Roon Radio”, seems to me that it would have been better to say “someone wanting to play Tidal content via Roon Radio would need to have a valid Tidal subscription”. It appears to me that Roon Radio is now a standard feature of Roon allowing streaming from local, Tidal & Quboz content with the appropriate subscriptions.

Tim

I modified nothing in my library between the two dates. I have not noted any problem so far but thanks for this word of caution. I will monitor this.

And this statement that ROON DOES NOT SUPPORT DOWNGRADING is scary.

Could you please specify clearly whether one can still downgrade as long as one uses a consistent restore of ROON backup ? If not that would be a real flaw!

Reminds me of the putative IBM exec who reportedly said, “If customers don’t like our solutions then they have the wrong problems.” Ha!

2 Likes

I’m not sure why so many are in such disarray, its an audio player, not life or death for one (not to take anything away from the hard work put into this release).

I’m holding off on any comments until I use the software for awhile, which seems more than appropriate, given all the work the team has put into it.

Being in a software dev arena, the dev’s can take the criticisms, that’s part of their discipline, but it would go along way to be constructive and provide a thought out response / suggestions.

So far so good with the update. I backed everything up, rebooted the server/core and my main client, then performed the update. That’s always a sort of nail biter. Thanks ROON for excellent update process. Very well done. :+1:

I only have a short time on the new version and though it is different, I’m getting use to some of the new workflows. Also, people need to remember this is just the first “revision” of 1.6 and I’m sure there are hooks in place to add new/additional functionality.

12 Likes

Some comments also in the Roon 1.6 AUDIO feedback thread about the DSP interface.
I preferred the 1.5 version.

1 Like