Roon 1.6 Feedback Thread

This LZ pic? I just happened to post in the Roon Rig thread.
While my pic isn’t great I like the color version

I like the action shots (great Ramones pic) a lot better than 3 or 4 head shots…although the Nelly Furtado head shot is stunning and a bit of action in the pose and the Blondie pic is a classic of basically heads.

When I see this picture, I suddenly realise why many are complaining about small, in legible font sizes etc. :open_mouth:

To cater to everyone’s way of viewing Roon is simply an impossible task I see. In my head I thought most were using a screen of some sort a few inches from their face.

This is not directed to you Vectra, just using your post as an example. It simply surprised me.

Also surprised very few of the ones who complain about this, rarely states the device and viewing distance.

2 Likes

I use an iPad or laptop for control most of the time but for the picture I thought I might turn on the screen.

There is too much chance for screen burn in on my plasma to use it for long. jriver has a theater mode which fades but even that was a concern

I get the most screen time at my desk on a 24” monitor

there is a bug in for the mini.

Agreed. Present day classical album artwork is dire. They all seem to be using naff photographs of the artists, often in ludicrous poses and if they’re female, scantily clad. This fall from taste and subtlety is particularly sad when considering DGG. Their covers were once world class but now they are crass and predictably awful. This criticism refers to most of the mainstream classical labels with the notable exception of CPO. Their artwork is uniformly superb.

Hi guys,

Did I miss something or is there no way to dismiss the huge roon radio panel in queue view? In portrait mode on my iPad it uses about 25% of the screen, which UI wise seems quite silly to me.

Exactly my only complaint regarding 1.6. I also run ROCK on a NUC system (7i5) with a lightning fast m2 drive for databasing and a sata ssd for storage. Used to be lightning fast, now searches take like 5 seconds indeed. This really needs to be fixed as it is a dealbreaker for me.

1 Like

I love the new choices for skipping songs. Instead of just :+1: or :-1: we get options like skip because I don’t want to hear this song “now”. Keep up the good work.

3 Likes

Loving it guys - thanks. Now switched back to Qobuz, hooray. Current experiments show more high res content than Tidal and connectivity improved - no dropouts (yet). Also playing with Roon Radio the content selection seems more applicable so far.

Would agree with other comments on UI/#nowplaying - I have customised it but seems to show Artist picture not Album cover

Good work though - Pete

After giving the update 1.6 time some time, my opinion.

First, thanks for this fine update!
Possibly most have been said before, I did read a lot, but not ALL postings in detail.

Now playing
I like the now playing screen very much. I can imagine some prefer bigger album art, but for me it’s fine, the possibility to set the artist image as the first page is great.
To me the play buttons on the left would fit better in the middle of the screen as the area in the middle is where my mouse mostly is on the desktop.
On the tablet I feel more comfortable with this in the middle as well.

One of my complaints in Roon was you’ll need too many clicks to get somewhere. In the new version it is getting better.
But, because of the space in Now playing I would like to see tags & playlists a song is added to.
Maybe configurable by a user. Personally I don’t need the file format shown.
The artist could be clickable as well on the play bar.
See the next screenshots.

“Misled” by scrolling and album click
There are two things where I expect another action than what is actually happening.

1. In the album browser I can scroll to the albums, horizontally though, but I can scroll.
    On the iPad, I have to use the small arrow on the Now playing for left or right, where I expect the possibility to scroll through the screens.

2. In most screens when I click an album leads me to the album page. In the play bar it opens the Now playing screen, where I expect visiting the album page.

Begin a small Tour after a major update
Maybe it’s an idea to prevent - some - frustration to show a simple tour (which a new user sees if they install Roon for the first time), which shows the significant changes.

Thanks again, and looking forward what Roon brings us in 2019.
Paul

4 Likes

I like this rearrangement of the album and play buttons. It allows for a larger album art in the play bar.

I was walking up the stairs yesterday with my 12.9” iPad, and trying to pause the music. For the life of me I couldn’t find the pause/play button, expecting it to be front and center in the middle and well highlighted, like every cd player, software player etc I’ve ever used. Oh, there it is, over in the corner… whew, dementia’s not setting in - yet.

On a positve note, sounding great (to me subtly better than 1.5?) and stable.

You make a interesting point but then again I like having the track that is currently playing centered at the bottom of the queue screen too. That would look odd of to the side too.

Can the remaining queue time be restored on the mobile interface, I often want that info, and the individual track times are no longer displayed so you cannot even do the maths in your head.

On next release, hold the Feedback Thread closed for 5 days. Make everyone use the new version for awhile before commenting…you’ll get better, more concise thoughts on the release…

And please get the box set issues resolved. Its been lingering since the Sooloos days…

9 Likes

Yes, … please. One of the most annoying shortcomings in Roon

3 Likes

Wow this thread has blown up — I haven’t read through everything so please excuse any duplicate notes. Overall I gotta say I’m quite pleased with the update. Added Qobuz to my streaming options.

A couple observations:

• Please bring back the “Love” button on the “now playing” bar. It could be as easy as adding it between the song title/interpret and the signal path indicator. Apparently one of the UI goals was to maintain visual coherency between the bar and the full “now playing” screen. This change would maintain that coherency.
    46%20PM

• I’m getting some “Qobuz media is loading slowly” messages. This never happened before with Tidal and happens mostly on Qobuz 96kHz+ media.

• It would be great if Roon Radio could check for a local version of the song it’s about to play. This would make tagging and “loving” :wink: way easier.

• If the above is technologically hard to achieve, make it easier to like a song that’s been played from Radio. Could be as simple as expanding the functionality of the “Add Album to Library” link. Maybe provide a drop down next to it that has option like “Add Album to Library and…” “Love this song”, “Add to Tag…” “Add to Playlist…”

• This could me more of a feature request, but please allow for keyboard shortcut customization.

• Lastly, the keyboard shortcuts in the menu are broken when both streaming services are connected. See screen below.
    27%20PM

I really appreciate the work that has gone into this. Roon Radio has been amazing for me. It helped me discover a lot of artists I didn’t know before. Thanks for the update!

I really start to like to Now Playing screen. I hardly ever used it before 1.6 but I’m using it almost all the time now. Love all the information that is so easily accessible from that page.
Great job!

I like the new now playing screen.

4 Likes

Overall a great update - love the new radio features. Is there any way to get the full screen mode on the now playing screen? I like the artwork view with the playback controls.I still get full screen on my iPhone, but not my iPad.