Roon 1.7 Build 667 crashes Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6

Running roon on my Mac Book Pro Late 2011, not as a core only as remote to the Core. My Core is a Mac mini 2018 running Mojave. I have tried to reinstall roon. When it updates to the latest build 667, roon will not open and crashes. I have had no problems updating the core to latest build (667). Is the latest build compatible with High Sierra 10.13.6? Please advise.

Hi @Joseph_Cauthen,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for reaching out!

How exactly did you try to reinstall Roon on the MacBook Pro? I would give these instructions a try:

• Make a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder

If the above suggestion does not resolve the can you please use these instructions to access the Roon logs on the affected machine and send them to me?

Here is the log file via DropBox.

Please let me know if you can access.

Joseph

1 Like

not sure if you need this file as well.

Joseph

To be clear, Roon crashes on my 2011 Mac Book Pro. And will not reopen after reinstalls and following the described process above.

I have no issues running Roon on the Core Mac Mini 2018 (Mojave). It works well.

Also I have no issues running Roon as a remote on my devices, Amazon Fire, Iphone 11 Pro Max

More information. I have reinstalled the Roon on the Mac Book Pro 2011. The reinstall appears to be Room 1.7 Build 610. Then this build automatically updates to Build 667. Afterwards when I relaunch Roon it will open and immediately crash and then I can no longer use Room. Please advise. Is there a way to install only the version Roon 1.7 Build 610 and not allow it to update. I am only using the MacBook Pro 2011 as a remote and not a core. Please advise as this is really frustrating.

1 Like

Hi @Joseph_Cauthen,

Thanks for those additional details and for the logs. Can I please ask that you send me your entire Logs folder, not just the one log so I can look for any pattern?

If you have installed a build of Roon and wish to turn off auto update, you can do so under Roon Settings -> About, eventually we will need to troubleshoot this to make the system work on newer builds of Roon, so I suggest we instead address the issue.

Are you by any chance able to take a sample of the process before the crash?

1 Like

Here is the entire logs folder.

I download a version of the Roon software which was the build 667. I am still having crashes when I open the software. The software crashes as soon as the musical quote page appears.

Sample roon is hard. It crashes immediately but this was the only thing that i was able to capture.

sample[17084]: sample cannot examine process 17061 (with name like ‘17061’) because it no longer appears to be running.

Hi @Joseph_Cauthen,

Thank you for sending the full log set over, I do see more information regarding the error in the additional log.

What I see occurring here is that Roon get resized multiple times in a short period of time and then the crash occurs.

Can you please provide some more information regarding the display / GPU on the affected Mac? Does the Mac have a dedicated GPU? Do you have any displays, display hubs, or display programs attached / running on the impacted mac?

I have a MacBook Pro 13-inch Late 2011 and no external items are attached. Here are the details.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 16 GB

Intel HD Graphics 3000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 3000
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 512 MB
Vendor: Intel
Device ID: 0x0126
Revision ID: 0x0009
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1280 x 800
UI Looks like: 1280 x 800
Framebuffer Depth: 24-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

1 Like

Thanks @Joseph_Cauthen, let me get these details over to the team for closer review!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.