Roon 1.7 causing MacbookPRO 2018 to run fans at high speed

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
NUC8i7 Version 1.0 (build 183) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Linksys Velop router / Linksys 16 port ethernet switch / Rock is on ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Various Ropieee and NUC

Description Of Issue

Since 1.7 my Macbook Pro 2018 which runs Roon Control with no endpoints attached to the computer. It is on wired ethernet. NUC core (Rock) is on wired ethernet. When running the Roon Control the MBPro fans run in high speed. Closing down Roon Control lowers the fan speed. The MBPro is running Catalina,
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

1 Like

Have new IMac 27inch I9 processor 40GB memory. Fan runs at very high speed while running Roon. On closing Roon fan speed immediatly starts to drop. Only seems to happen when computer has been up for a long time, several days. Rerstarting computer resolves problem for a while but eventually returns and another restart required.

I just bought the 4K iMac 3.6g 8 gigs of ram. I had apple do a remote and they said Roon is eating a ton of cpu not ram. Not happy since this release

1 Like

I wonder why @support is jumping over my issue?

1 Like

Hello Everyone,

We are investigating reports of high CPU usage on macOS.

We would be interested to know if rebooting the computer when Roon is in this state resolves the high CPU usage state temporarily. Please let us know when the opportunity arises.

-John

Rebooting while Roon was in high cpu state brought it under control. It has been running fine for 3 hours now. I will monitor and report if it reverts.

Same issue here on my 2018 MacBook Pro. Activity Monitor shows ~30% CPU usage. It’s getting hot and draining the battery really quickly. Closing Roon solves the issue.

On my iMac 27" late 2015 CPU usage on latest MacOS between 10,1 and 24,6% (no DSP enabled) and no crazy fan speed.

Just after the release of Roon 1.7 I decided to do a fresh install of Catalina. Before I had (with Roon 1.6) the same CPU values as above with FULL speed fans every now and than. Restarting Roon solved the problem for some while then.

Rebooting helped for about 12 hours then it went back to 370% useage.

Hi,
Same problem here, Imac 2019 Intel core i9.The temperature about 64° C When I restart the computer the noise of fan give me some break, after
some hours the the nightmare starts again. Any solution please?
Thanks

I have experienced this several times and found that if I quit the Roon control on my MacBook Pro and restart the Roon control the problem is resolved temporarily. In other words, I’ve not needed to reboot the MacBook Pro.

My setup is as follows. My Roon core (version 1.7 build 505) runs on a QNAP TS-251+ NAS with 8GB of RAM. The NAS is connected by Ethernet to my Naim Uniti Nova via a Cisco SG110D-08 8-Port unmanaged gigabit desktop switch. The Roon database is stored on a 250GB Samsung SSD connected to the NAS by USB 3.0.

My Roon controls are on my on MacBook Pro 16 inch 2019 (32GB of RAM) running macOS 10.15.1 and on my iPad Pro 9.7" running iOS 13.2.3. The controls connect by 5GHz Wi-Fi to my Linksys Velop mesh router system (router plus one node).

Music files, which are 99% classical (approximately 2,300 tracks in approximately 300 albums), are stored on the NAS. The files are primarily in FLAC format with some mp4s—and range from 44kHz/16 bit to 192kHz/24 bit. I do not use Tidal or Qobuz.

Stephen

Hi!
In my case when the problem is occurring and the temperature is high, I quit Roon for a few minutes and start Roon again and the problem persists. It only resolves if I restart the computer which resolves temporarily.
Thanks

1 Like

Mine has been working better. Was there a new build?

I too am experiencing the fans on my Macbook Pro 2018 coming on at high speeds. I’m running my roon core (1.7 build 505) on a Qnap TS-877. The Roon database is on an SSD. I’m using the Macbook as a control and currently I’ve just been outputting onto the Mac itself…

I’ve found logging into the NAS and disabling and reenabling Roon will work to reset the system and at least temporarily alleviate the problem. It does come back.

I’ve also tried stopping Roon on the Macbook but that only works for a few minutes…

My MBP has been running cool for the last couple weeks. I’m not sure what the fix was but probably in one of the new builds. Are you up to date with Roon. I would assume so as it is automatic. Perhaps it was an Apple update of which there has been a couple. It would be interesting to know what fixed it.

Hi @Progisus/@Jaap,

We still have an active investigation into this behavior, there have been no Roon updates which specifically address this issue.

We have not been able to reproduce this behavior in-house reliably and at this stage we are gathering reports for QA review for any patterns, so I have added your reports from this thread to the investigation ticket and QA is looking into it.

If there is any additional information we require for the investigation I will be sure to reach out, thanks again for your patience here while this investigation is underway.

1 Like

Roon is causing the computer to run hot again. I am trying to narrow it down but with no luck. Reboot helps for awhile. Let’s hope Roon support has more luck.

Hello There

Is there any progress with this. I am having the exact same problem on my MacBook Pro. Fan running fast and 200% cpu.

Regards

It still is happening to me as well. I started Roon remotely on my MBP and when I got to the conputer several hours later the fans were screaming. I am not going to run Roon unattended on the MBP. Very annoying. It must be a graphics issue as 1.6 didn’t do this and I think graphics were changed with 1.7.

Hello @William_Gow,

QA is still investigating these reports at this time. I can certainly add your report to the investigation ticket, but can you please let us know:

1. What is the model of the Macbook Pro and from what year is it?

2. Do you notice consistent 200% CPU usage or would you define them more as “spikes” that go up and down?

3. Does rebooting temporarily resolve this issue?

4. What is your networking gear model/manufacturer and how is the Core connected to the network (WiFi/Ethernet)?