Roon 1.7 fails with AppleTV device, due to Airplay Passcode prompts

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

NUC8i7 ROCK Version 1.0 (build 183) stable
Roon Server Version 1.7 (build 505) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Cisco 2960G ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
AppleTV connected via WiFi (802.11ac)

Description Of Issue

With the latest update to Roon 1.7 I can no longer play anything to either of my two AppleTVs. Everything I hit play the AppleTV display as prompt with a 4-digit Airplay Passcode to enter. I have no place to enter it. There’s nothing in the Roon controller. I have gone in Roon settings -> Audio and disabled and reenabled both Apply TV devices, and entered the passcode when prompted. It always fails the first time, but accepts a passcode on the second attempt. However, it still doesn’t work. When I play Roon to that device, the Apple TV displays a new passcode again and plays nothing.

The best I can do is to get any audio on the AppleTV is to use the Roon iPhone app, and play to the iPhone itself as a device, and then from the iPhone use Airplay to the TV. However, no matter what I do I cannot play directly from the Roon Controller to either AppleTV.

1 Like

Hello @Dean_Wette,

In the AirPlay settings on your AppleTV, set the access control to require a password. Enter a password on the AppleTV when it asks you to set up a new password.

Once you have done this, try enabling the AppleTV zone in Room again. When prompted, enter the password you set on the AppleTV.

-John

5 Likes

That worked! Thank you so much, especially for helping to resolve it before my dinner guests arrive. Happy thanksgiving!

1 Like

Hello @Dean_Wette,

A tasteful playlist is the best side dish! Enjoy!

-John

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.