Roon 1.7 Feedback Thread

I like the 1.7 upgrade as well. I like the interface changes and the location of the ‘New for you’ section. The recommendations will get better in time.

I just really dislike the ‘Recommended for you’ section in my album list.

I absolutely do not want it there. It should have been made optional or placed somewhere else. It feels intrusive to me. I hoped it’s location can be changed or the feature will be made optional.

3 Likes

Tidal offer of 4 months at £1.99 tempted me to give it a try (I used to use it but stopped a few months ago because I have a large local library and wasn’t using Tidal enough to justify the cost).

I did get Celine Dion in recommendations (:slightly_frowning_face:) but only one and most of the suggestions fit my (wide-ranging) listening habits.

I do have Celine Dion in my local library - but only because she is a performer on one album (by Annie Lennox) out ot a total of just over 7,000 albums - so I would be a bit surprised if the recommendation was based on that.

Interested to note that the one Celine Dion recommendation is also in the Tidal ‘Top Albums’ list - so wondering (@mike) whether the ‘Recommended for me’ algorithm includes some things that might not have otherwise been included as part of an agreement with Tidal?

In general I like most of the update. It installed without any issues and so far it seems to be faster in searching and skipping.

However, I do not like the additional album info all in text.
When you have an album with text in the “Version” this always was shown over the album cover. That was fine for me.
But “Live”, “Compilation” and “Bootleg” was shown by an icon. Now this is also shown in text together with the “Version” information. This can completely cover the album picture. I prefer the icons for this.

3 Likes

Agree. The red dot for Live albums was much more obvious than text.

How about an option in Settings to switch between text or icon options?

7 Likes

Fairly new Roon user here (about 8 months). Previously used Media Monkey for which I have a lifetime subscription. One thing I missed about MM in Roon was the ability to populate an open text field on either albums or tracks with comments, reviews etc. Am happy now that 1.7 has allowed this to be accessed in Roon as well, in the Comments field of File Location.

In MM I had added metadata info about many unknown or obscure artists which are unlikely to ever be in MusicBrainz or similiar databases eg from buskers with self produced CDs, performers in non-Western countries etc. I was missing that info.

As for other aspects of 1.7 I am yet to explore fully, but have added some live radio stations. Radio station SQ generally seems reasonable at MP3 320kbps, but I wouldn’t bother listening to anything much lower than that. An ability to screen out the low bit/sample rate stations would have been good.

So far very happy. Next weekend should have a chance to explore more, espcially SQ.

Some update on this, seems to only apply when playing certain artists.

Artist Page playback irregularities:
When playing Leonard Cohen from the artist page, tracks from other artist are selected after the first or second played track. Then roon continues to play other artists.(like roon radio).
When playing other artist, roon sticks to the same artist according to intention in 1.7 release notes(Artist Play and Composer Play).

Other with this issue?

This may be a ‘feature’ of Play Now that is evident with folks like Leonard Cohen. Play Now shows the repertoire of Artists and Composers. For someone that is almost solely an artist, you’ll probably see just them as an artist, except where they have another role in other albums. For someone that is almost solely a composer, you’ll likely see a variety of artists performing the composer’s works.
For a person like Leonard Cohen, you have a person who does a LOT of both. I don’t know if Roon is ‘guessing’ you intended Cohen to be played as a Composer, rather than an artist, -OR-, if statistically there are just a lot of artists singing Cohen compositions. If the latter, you see a lot of other artists mixed in.
The algorithm may get refined as Roon gets feedback, I’d suppose. I could see where if you select Cohen on the artist page you only get his vocal work, but if you select him on Composer page, you get other artists.

Didn’t notice this til now. Bring back the red dot please.

Celine was also on my recommondations list, I cannot stand her. I listen to about 98% classical plus Internet Radio - so god knows how she crept into my list… Did she pay Roon to be promoted?
Also on the list were recordings I already have locally in my library - so not really a very personal recomended list. Just about as personal as the normal New releases page on qobuz

Do not give them such an idea!

2 posts were split to a new topic: Leonard Cohen Artist Play

A setting to choose between icon or text would be perfect

1 Like

BIG Thanks to the Devteam for Valence

Hi Dev team,

This release is a great achievement, congratulations!

Search has become so much faster and gives me a lot more new music ideas, amazing.

Also adding music to my library has become so much faster.

The radio station database will be huge in a couple of months, thanks to the volunteers and the Roon community.

I’m enjoying the music more and more thanks to you guys!!

Cheers John.

3 Likes

Genuine question - were these the exact same releases as those in your library, or were they different versions of the same albums?

I have a regular phantom so not sure about the gold, but the release notes mentioned increased dB / SPL for DOS2, so whatever they’re doing in software to control the amplifier etc. is affecting the overall impression of the sound, which makes sense. But on Roon?..

The Golds haven’t gotten a power update, but various reports across discussion boards mention improved sound. That was my feeling, too. To be fair, on my side it might have had something to do with moving away from the optical input towards Airplay, which is supposed to sound better due to lower jitter.

Thanks a lot to all people from Roon team !
You’ve done an amazing job and I love the new 1.7 :love_you_gesture:
Just missing portrait mode on iPad which is not a « pro » :wink:

yes - exact same. Andris Nelsons Beethoven complete symphonies (btw a very good recording)

1 Like

Yes I think this is a fault of the way Roon works, it can do things with those albums you have in your library that it can’t if you don’t have them in your library. So an album on Qobuz you also have added to your library will have Roon internal links to the library artist and show other albums, but if you don’t have that particular album in your library there’s no link back to your library artist for Roon to follow - if that makes sense?

I expect to see Roon becoming far more integrated with streaming service data in the future, so we can use Roon to like (‘heart’) tracks, albums and artists on Qobuz we don’t have in our actual library. Live editing and adding to online streaming service playlists is also way overdue. I have to keep reminding myself that Roon’s roots were firmly established in managing local libraries of audio files stored on hard drives across a LAN, so this whole internet streaming thing is just opening everything up for both the Roon team and the rest of us. Its going to be fun how things develop - I hope! :blush:

2 Likes

Yes I really don’t like horizontal scrolling, always forget Roon does that as I’m so used to pretty much everything else not doing that! :blush:

4 Likes