Roon 1.7 Locks/Freezes

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 18362) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
XPS 8900 Intel® Core™ i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
OpenGL 4.5.0 Build 23.20.16.4849
Roon 1.7 Build 505 stable 64-bit

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Cable Modem: Netgear C7000v2 V1.03.01
Powerline Ethernet (crowded WiFi): NETGEAR PL1010 Homeplug AV2

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Just a few examples, my most common signal paths.
PC > USB > Cocktail Audio N15D > RCA > Peachtree Decco
PC > USB > Cocktail Audio N15D > RCA > Woo Audio WA7D

Description Of Issue

Problems started with update of Roon 1.7 and have persisted with subsequent updates. Roon Core will at seemingly random intervals freeze and lock up completely when browsing library or listening to music. Closing Roon and restarting will temporarily solve the problem. I have rebooted the PC, again providing only temporary resolution. Looking at the Roon desktop shortcut I noticed that the start location is “…\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\100600416” and when I attempt to click on another tab I receive an error message that the folder is invalid. I removed the last folder from the path so it points directly to …\Roon\Application and Roon seemed to boot OK.

Hi @MyTreeNotYourTree,

How long does it take for Roon to get back into this state?

Is Roon re-scanning your library? Do you see a spinner in the upper-right?

There doesn’t seem to be a pattern, and Roon doesn’t appear to be updating the library when the freezing occurs.

Thanks for confirming, @MyTreeNotYourTree.

When this occurs is the UI usable at all? Are you able to open the menu and navigate elsewhere or does nothing work at all?

Have you tried connecting to the Core with a different remote during this time? Are you able to use Roon when doing so?

Roon UI is completely frozen except music will continue to play-- the mouse cursor “spins”, the windows “greys out” and shows “not responding” error at the top. The rest of the applications on the PC run fine.
I had hope that changing the target folder would fix the issue, but Roon locked up twice last night with the second occurance shortly after re-launching the application.
I have not tried accessing the core with a remote, and will attempt that next time it freezes.

Hi @MyTreeNotYourTree,

Definitely give this a go and let us know how it goes. If you’re able to continue using Roon from another remote that will be helpful in understanding the underlying issue here.

Confirming that I am able to access Roon using the remote, but I cannot control the core.

Thanks for confirming, @MyTreeNotYourTree.

This indicates that there may be an issue with specifically the UI.

Can you confirm that your graphics drivers are fully up to date? What is the GPU that your machine uses?

I thought I was current, but a quick check shows that’s I’m a little behind. I’ll update and let you know if there’s an improvement.

Card name: Intel® HD Graphics 530, Driver File Version: 23.20.0016.4849
Current version: 26.20.100.7463
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745, Driver File Version: 26.21.0014.3200
Current version: 26.20.100.7463

Thanks, @MyTreeNotYourTree — Definitely let us know how it goes now that the driver has been updated.

Updated the drivers, rebooted I cleaned up the library too, but still experiencing app freezing in the Roon Core UI.

Roon Core was totally frozen when it started up after cleaning the library. I’ve reinstalled, and it’s working better. Roon Core still freezes occasionally.

Hi @MyTreeNotYourTree,

Thanks for the update. It sounds like things have improved, but you still sometimes see this issue, correct? How often is it happening now? Once per day? Once per hour?

Are you seeing any patterns here? Are there any specific actions or screens that seem to cause this to happen more frequently?

I see it most frequently when I’m browsing my library, but especially when adding new content to my library. I would say it happens at least once a day while I’m interacting with Roon Core. If I start playing music and leave it running I don’t notice the UI freezing until I start interacting with the program again.

Hi @MyTreeNotYourTree,

The next time this occurs can get screenshots of resource monitor that shows CPU, Memory, and GPU usage?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.