Roon 1.7 not playing complete tracks on Qobuz and Tidal

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

QNAP TVS-471

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Fully wired network using Netgear switches and Verizon FiOS 1Gb connection

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Auralic Aries G1 feeding Denafrips Venus.

Description Of Issue

Since the update to 1.7 Roon no longer plays complete tracks on both Qobuz and Tidal. A track will start playing and after a few minutes the track will stop playing and switch to the next track. The counter will be updated to reflect that the track has been played even though it never got to the end. Stored library content has no problem. This only happens with Qobuz and Tidal. Some tracks play all the way to the end and some don’t. The ones that do not play to the fail again if re-selected. I have seen several posts reporting this same issue. I just wanted to add my voice to this.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Some tracks not playing to completion

I am having the same issue. Tracks on both Qobuz and Tidal do not play to the end. It’s not all tracks but it is may. Stored/ripped content does not seem to be affected. It seems to be only Qobuz and Tidal from my library. I do not have DSP turned on.

Are your tracking being skipped over and not played at all? Mine play for a minute or two and then skip to the next track. The track that was partially play then is marked as played. Again this is only happening with Qobuz and Tidal and not content stored in my library. I have seen several reports of this throughout the forum.

Hi @John_Aiello,

Is there any change if you log out of TIDAL and Qobuz and log back in in Roon?

How often do you see this type of issue?

I have already tried logging out and back in. No change. How often? How about every album on Qobuz or Tidal. I just looked at my history. My last played Qobuz album was Grant Green Born to be blue. It has nine tracks. Three of the nine played did not play the entire track. One played 35% another played 20% and the third play 45%. If there is a way to share my history with you I would be happy to give you a look.

A post was split to a new topic: Streaming tracks skipping on 1.7

Lots of reports of this behavior. I’m sure the team is doing all they can to track down the root cause.

In the meantime, if you can connect all of your devices (sources and APs that serve remotes) to the same unmanaged switch to guarantee the same broadcast domain it may help.

It has in my setup. I had my music server on my firewall/router/switch (managed but no IGMP settings configured) and my APs on a downstream unmanaged switch. Moving server to same switch resolved the Quboz skip issue for me, so far anyway.

No skips for dozens of tracks where as it was abrubt skipping every 4 or 5th track after partial play.

This would be impossible to accomplish in my case. I would prefer to have Roon fix whatever it is they broke in 1.7. It worked flawlessly prior to that. Yes lots of reports of this behavior. How is it we waited many months to get this release and they missed this?

I agree it should not occur but with a practically infinite number of network variables it would be next to impossible to test all combinations. At some point, the larger user group (all of us) need to try it and find the issues.

Even though any two layer 2 switches connected together ‘should’ be in the same broadcast domain it seems that many devices, especially the combination devices that are routers on a stick as we used to say don’t always play perfectly.

I would like to see Roon have less or no dependance on the network topology but we’re not yet there in the consumer networking world for it to be a reality any time soon. There are many routing protocols to make it a reality but there is very poor support for most of them in consumer devices plus very few of these protocols are set and forget.

I realize none of this helps the problem you’re experiencing but hopefully sheds a bit of light on the complexity of the issue.

I’m confident they’ll craft a solution soon.

We are looking into this John, of course.

We have tens of thousands of customers who are not reporting this issue, and I’ve been listening to 24/192 content for the last 90 mins without a single skip.

So we need to figure out what makes the setups where people are reporting this behavior different from the ones who are not experiencing this, or from our 60-odd testers who have been running this code stably for months.

Point being – we’re working on this, and hope to have updates soon. We appreciate your patience.

I get that you are looking into this. It’s just that there are so many reports about this I would have liked to see something from Roon sooner than this to say we acknowledge this and are looking at this behavior. I have been one of Roon’s biggest supporters. I just feel like this update was poorly managed. I have expressed that frustration only to have those posts removed. Roon does not like to be criticized. Unfortunately you have earned it here.

Hi @John_Aiello,

Can you give a specific example of a track that fails every time?

See the Grant Green tunes from my history.

More examples. Is there a way for me to upload to you all of my History file?

No. While I have noticed that some tracks fail when I try and play them again immediately after failing, I was looking at the History and tracks that failed today did not fail yesterday but other ones did. Again I ask, is there a way for me to get you my history? I can see the partial plays there quite well. Maybe that doesn’t help you because I keep offering it and you keep ignoring the question.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Some tracks not playing to completion

Hi @John_Aiello,

Thank you for sharing those screenshots of your history tab, it is much appreciated.

I was able to extract a few examples of the examples you mentioned and I have gone ahead and activated diagnostics mode for your account, and what this action does is automatically upload a set of logs to our servers for analysis.

I can confirm that the diagnostics report has reached our server and that we are taking a look at the examples you posted. We are still investigating this issue internally and looking for any patterns to these reports, as soon as we have further news we will be sure to make an announcement on the forum.

I appreciate you letting us know that this issue occurs on your end as well , if we need any further information we will be sure to reach out. Thank you in advance for your patience here while this investigation is underway.

Thank you Noris