Roon 1.7 ("Not Responding")

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Dell XPS 8900
Intel ® core ™ i7-6700K CPU @4ghz 4.01
16 GB of RAM

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
N/A

Description Of Issue
Since the 1.7 update Roon is not stable. It continuously crashes (“not responding”) whilst trying to navigate. This is occurring every minute of use and I always need to reboot the program.

It’s turn into an endless cycle of rebooting. I’ve uninstalled the program and reinstalled and I feel it’s even worse.

Please let me know what’s required to remedy this issue as it’s become unusable.

Thank you,
Matt

Hello @Kimmyrocker,

Two questions to make sure that we’re targeting our troubleshooting in the right direction:

A) How large is your library? Do you see the same symptoms if you move your database aside temporarily? To do this…

• Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder
  1. Ensure that you have updated your graphics drivers to the latest version. You can use this tool from Intel to automatically grab the latest drivers:

-John

Ran the driver assistant and my system is up to date. My library is large. 12 TB’s. I’ve already uninstalled the program and then did a fresh install. Isn’t that the same function as the movement of the database? If not I can go ahead and do that.

I went ahead and followed the other steps. This has not corrected the issue. In fact the “not responding” occurred while the system was scanning my drives.

Hello @Kimmyrocker,

Use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link.

-John

Anyone have a chance to go over these logs?

Hi @Kimmyrocker,

We took a look over logs, but it looks like there is not much information contained in them, Roon appears to be working as expected until this issue arises and there is no further details after the behavior starts.

It would be useful if we could take a look at the Windows Event viewer logs next time this issue occurs, can you please use these instructions to generate a report and note the exact local time + date the issue occured?

1. Press Win + R and type eventvwr.msc
  2. Press OK – this should open Event Viewer window
  3. From the left sidebar go to Windows Logs > Application
  4. Right click on the Application subsection and pick Filter Current Log... from the context menu
  5. On the Filter tab for the Logged section pick a parameter Last 30 days and press OK
  6. Right click on the Application subsection again and pick Save filtered log file as.. from the context menu
  7. Enter the log file name, for e.g. Roon_USERNAME , and press Save
  8. Upload the Event Viewer logs to our diagnostics servers, information has been sent via private message

Thanks!

I have this file you’ve requested. Would you be able to send me the PM so I can send it over?

Hi @Kimmyrocker,

Thank you for gathering that information. The PM should pop up in your notifications area as a green “1” with upload instructions.

Uploaded per the instructions.

Thank you for sending that info over @Kimmyrocker, I have requested the QA team to review your case. I will be sure to let you know once I have feedback, thanks in advance for your patience here!

Hello @Kimmyrocker,

I appreciate your patience while I had a chance to consult with the QA team regarding this issue.

We have taken a look at the Windows Event viewer logs gathered, but unfortunately there is not much information there regarding the behavior you’re experiencing. I suggest doing some general troubleshooting in order to identify the issue:

1. Can you please set your current database aside again using the instructions John provided above?
  1. Set up Roon as fresh install, with no storage locations that it is watching

2. Try adding only a streaming service (TIDAL/Qobuz) to Roon with no local content for the time being

3. Verify if Roon is stable in this configuration for a day or two and let us know the results

Also, there are a few clarification questions which might help narrow down this behavior even further:

• What version of Windows is the PC running (including build number)? You can find this information by opening up “System Information” in the start menu.

• Are you .NET drivers up to date? You can download the newest .NET drivers from Microsoft here:

Do let me know how testing goes!

Hi there,

On day 3 with new install and only using Tidal in this configuration as instructed and no issues thus far. My .NET drivers are up to date. I’m running Windows 10 (64 Bit).

Matt

Hi @Kimmyrocker,

Thanks for confirming the system is stable with no attached storage.

You mentioned that this issue started occurring when Roon was scanning your storage locations previously, do you recall which of your storage locations it was scanning when the behavior occurred?

I think it’s best if we try adding one storage location at a time to see if it triggers the behavior to re-occur, can you try adding watched locations back one by one and let me know if the system still remains stable?

I would let the Roon complete the scanning/analysis process for each location to try and identify the problematic one, you can tell when Roon has completed the import by checking the “activity spinner” in the top right-hand corner:

The analysis status should be listed in Roon Settings -> Library. If you are able to identify a problematic media share please do let me know and provide more info regarding it. Thanks!

I believe after a week of use that I can say my Roon core is not stable. Thanks for the help here. Please close this ticket out. Cheers!

Hi @Kimmyrocker,

Just double-checking, I believe you meant to write “now” stable instead of “not” stable? :slight_smile:
Were you able to add all your storage locations back properly?

Sorry yes all is working well and was able to include al my storage locations.

1 Like

Glad to hear that @Kimmyrocker, happy holidays!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.