Roon 1.7: the fonts are too bold

What’s with all the talk of bold font in this thread, if I may be so bold?

Some have seen bold fonts and panicked.

I’m also curious if multiple font weights are being used, versus just regular, italic and strong text.

If there are multiple weights—like Light, Regular, Book, Medium, Bold, Heavy—then this will need to be a more nuanced discussion to account for where and how those different weights are being used. If it’s simpler than that, and the app only uses regular and bold text, then using a wider range of weights could be a significant improvement.

Aliasing methods may also be involved in how different users view v1.7 on different devices.

I wonder if those who feel that Roon got too bold could add a few more data points: like what devices (mobile or desktop) and what screen resolutions (regular or HiDPi/Retina) are used?

While Roon looks different I’m not sure that it looks wrong. Also, the transition to the new UI is still on the way, I suppose. So probably release by release things will look better and better - or more coherent.

I like the bold text actually…

Please see the top of this topic – not everyone’s monitor is seeing the bad, and we are taking steps to fix this.

2 Likes

It looks fine on my 13" MacBook Pro Retina display if you are gauging which display types / sizes need fine tuning.

For everyone complaining about bold text in 1.7 – we’re already iterating on the treatment and we want to make sure we understand exactly who is feeling this on which displays.

Details

It would help us if everyone could let us know:

• What monitor and OS you’re experiencing this issue on? (model, physical size, resolution)
  • What display scaling settings your monitor is set to? (see below)
  • Where specifically in the app you’re finding the text to be overly bold?
  • Are you using any any color calibration settings?

Display Scaling Settings:

To get your display scaling settings:

Windows

Go to Display Settings and let us know this number:

Mac

Hover over the letting and let us know the “looks like” setting and the native resolution of your screen.

Wow, a real world problem.

2 Likes

Fonts all look good here, in as much as I dont see any difference to before. Server is running in linux on a virtual and various endpoints including PC, Mac, iPhone etc, dont see any strange bold font stuff.

1 Like

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15.2
Native resolution, no scaling
In the album view - font is so large many album titles are truncated
In the “hamburger” drop-down menu
Using custom color profile, but reverting to standard Mac profile looks the same

UPDATED to include screenshot:

Would be great to get some more details about your setup (as described here) guys:

@mike
I predominately use an iPad Pro 12.9 as my remote, however I also use a Surface Pro 4 at home from time to time as well as a crappy 23" 1080p monitor at work. Both Windows units have their Scale and Layout set for 100% and their native resolution selected.
I should point out that my preference is to use the Dark theme, and this seems to be where the issue presents itself the most. The Light theme looks far better. However I definitely do not like the bolded left-sided Main Menu on either theme - it is unnecessary in my opinion.

scaleandlayoutdisplayinfo

1 Like

You’re feeling this on the iPad as well? Not just the 100% Windows displays?

Thanks Mark, and @Edward12.

It certainly is more pronounced on Windows than the iPad. On the iPad it looks Ok (although I don’t like the bold in general).
Here is a screenshot from the work Samsung monitor:-

1 Like

Thanks for asking, Mike. I’m using a Mac running 10.14.6, but I restarted and some of the funky bold stuff seems to have disappeared. The song titles are still bold, which I don’t think it’s a great choice (like, why?), but I concede it’s not the first thing to fix. Surely a higher priority would be to left-justify lyrics. Who made the decision that they should be centered? It’s completely … well, let’s just say “nonstandard.” Seriously, that decision makes zero sense from a design or readability standpoint, and while I’m not coding Roon, thank goodness, fixing it would seem to be a pretty minor operation.

I for one like the font, looks great on iPad Pro. You obviously can’t make everyone happy.

2 Likes

There’s an easy solution for this, create a poll:-

A. I like it
B. I don’t like it
C. I don’t care either way

If B or C come out top, leave it as is.

1 Like

Looks good and easy to read on iMAC 27" retina 5k 2017 with Catalina.