Roon 1.7 to Squeezelite endpoint, tracks not starting, some skipping of tracks

This did happen a little bit with 1.6, but my endpoint hardware and software were completely different.

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Roon ROCK on an i7 NUC.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

All Wired networking. (one fiber link). Ubiquity hardware.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Two Allo USBridge Signature devices running MoOde 6.4. (also tested with 5.3.1). One connected to a Hugo 2 the other to a Kii Three system. They have Squeezelite turned on.

Description Of Issue

Tracks do not start playing or stop playing. It seems to happen more often when the source of the tracks switches between local files and Tidal or Qobuz… Sometimes tracks are garbled or skip like a bouncing tonearm.

Sometimes it works fine for a while then stops.

I would love to see some logs from the ROCK so I can send it over to Tim at MoOde Audio and the fols at Allo.

Any Ideas?

Hi @Bob_Fairbairn1,

Does the same behavior occur if you bypass the USBridges and have the audio devices connected directly to your Core?

You can access the ROCK logs and forward them to MoOde audio by using these instructions.

Thanks for the hint. Found some interesting things in the logs for today. It looks like the server was doing a backup to dropbox when I was having trouble. Also there are some failures

12/18 21:10:06 Debug: [prebuffer] sleeping in read – this isn’t good
12/18 21:10:07 Debug: [prebuffer] sleeping in read – this isn’t good

There are thousands of messages about dropbox.

I am going to change my backup to something local and see if that fixes anything.

I have the logs zipped up. Someone there might want to see them… I have them loaded in dropbox

bob

I also noticed that the backup failed to Dropbox (it is not full).

I have just reset my backups to my local NAS.

Hi @Bob_Fairbairn1,

I took a look at the logs you sent and I too noticed quite a lot of Dropbox traces it looks like Roon was trying to upload your backup and it didn’t properly complete.

This means that the media was not able to be delivered in time.

I agree that this was a good idea. I would also suggest rebooting your ROCK via the Web UI. Is there any change to the original behavior after rebooting?

I rebooted the ROCK machine and the Roon server did not start right. That is WEIRD. I had to manually start it twice.

I am still having trouble with the playback. I will test later today with a DAC hooked to the USB of the Core.

I am also going to booth UP another NUC as a core. I will also test using a local USB drive instead of the NAS.

I will grab some more logs to see if there is anything interesting.

Finally I will test with another endpoint OS. Binary Tree debugging!

Bob

1 Like

Hi @Bob_Fairbairn1,

If you give it a bit of time, does RoonServer start as expected?

These all sound like great troubleshooting steps, do let me know how it goes!

I “think” I found the problem. I am testing Gentoo Player and the setup instructions for it said to turn off FLAC compression. Which I did for it.

I am trying that on MoOde and it seems to have fixed the problems.

I will try the reboot on the core again later. Just to see if it acts weird again.

It has been running overnight and today with no issues.

1 Like

Hi @Bob_Fairbairn1,

Thanks for the update, do let me know if the behavior is still resolved after a few days or if you require more assistance with this issue, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.