Roon 1.8 arrives on February 9th

Thanks for the heads up on this.

If the new one is completely different, than this mean the current one is completely bad?
Then why all the delights so far … Very interesting !

What I would like to see in 1.8

1. Possibility of increasing the font or at least making it bold. 2. The ability to translate metadata. I am not an English-speaking citizen, it is possible to set my native language, but it translates everything except metadata.
4 Likes

Makes sense with portrait mode (and vertical scrolling) apparently being rolled out more widely. Time to dust off my tablets? :thinking:

Can we search by label for music NOT already in library?
Can we easily get info on artists/album when none is available in Roon - wikipedia link, google search, etc?
Are they adding new sources for music info or is it still Allmusic the only source? To me the biggest Roon disappointment was the huge number of albums and artists that have zero info.
Apple Watch playback/volume controls?
2021 touch screen navigation (gestures instead of buttons)
Oh and most important- zone volume control from phone volume physical buttons
New look and feel is great while new… functionality beats looks

2 Likes

Quite a few of my downloaded albums have extended album artwork, lyric sheets, credits etc. stored as PDFs held in the same folder as the music files. Roon displays these, so I wonder whether you could put your own PDFs in the folder and have these displayed as well.
Might be worth a try.

We rolled out the not-inconsiderable metadata changes needed for 1.8 before Christmas and pretty much nobody noticed.

18 Likes

‘still using Lotus 1-2-3, Word Perfect…’
Absolutely no hope for you, then!
Real fortitude on your part. If you can do that, you can certainly switch to Roon 1.8 :grinning:

1 Like

It sure does work.

It works only for local stored music, not for tidal or qobuz

Yep, used that - but nowhere do I see a statement from anyone from Roon that they’re keeping a dark mode. I have eyesight problems that are made worse at night by bright white screens and black text.
The inverse black screen with white text (and with brightness turned down) works well for me.
Just hoping that they don’t ruin what until now has been superb…!

1 Like

Yes, quite right. I assumed he was talking about his local files.

See post #42 in this thread. Someone from Roon confirms it there.

1 Like

I linked to an answer by @mike, who is RoonLabs’ director of product, responding “it does” to this:

I’m unsure how much clearer or official of a statement you require.

But the one feature I am looking for is that ability to add my own reviews and notes to the albums in my collection. NOTHING would be mean more to me that to truly personalize the metadata of my collection with Roon.

Any hint about this with 1.8?

1 Like

I am currently getting 18 Albums displayed per page on a 10.5 iPad Air.

How many would that be in version 1.8? From Darko’s screen shots it appear to be quite a few less, which would not be nice.

1 Like

Notice, I said “was” not “am.” That was long ago. My point is, when I have something that works well for me and my use case, I’m not eager to change for the sake of change.

Thanks!
I searched for Dark Mode and only got a few questions and no responses listed - which didn’t include this one.
I wasn’t prepared to scroll through 248 pages of thread to find this (at Page 40) - but I’m grateful to you for doing so.
I am greatly relieved.

2 Likes

Hehehe, totally understandable - hence the suggestion to use search :wink: .

Going forward, and as long as it’s built into operating systems, Dark Mode is one of those features you probably shouldn’t be concerned is going to disappear, ever. Obviously, confirmation is always better, and hopefully, the marketing team will remember to add a screenshot of that the next time around.

A bit of a non-sequitur, but the lower contrast “light” mode for classical looks like it might be really nice, readability-wise.

1 Like

Quite right :joy:
I’m sure you ‘will’ cope with 1.8