Roon 1.8 arrives on February 9th

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already but there are 744 posts!

What time (timezone) will 1.8 be released on Tuesday?

As you suspect, this has been asked before, and Roon staffā€™s answer was that it will be released when everybody and all is ready, without committing to any specific time.

1 Like

I am sure there are many classical music lovers out there, but itā€™d be nice to have future versions of Roon really address other kinds of music, like experimental music or music from non-Western cultures (I hate the term World Music since it conjures up Peter Gabriel at his most indulgent). I imagine there are some ethnomusicologists out there who would be glad to help.

2 Likes

See this.

When exactly youā€™ll get it / be able to use it depends, to an extent, on Apple and Google, and thatā€™s probably why Roon arenā€™t committing.

Absolutely no idea, normally Roon doesnā€™t tell us a date let alone a time

06;00 GMT ?

I donā€™t know about that. True, we all have many more options for remote listening, but none that have the ease, sound quality, library scope, and functionality that Roon brings to the table.

I, for one, would welcome an on-the-go version at some future date.

3 Likes

Where can I find a collection of extensions?

I wholeheartedly agree. Iā€™m currently using iTunes to sync my music library to my iDevices, if Roon released an on-the-go version thatā€™d help streamline my syncing process tremendously.

I do however understand this might be more of an edge case compared to other goals on their roadmap.

My source for extensions is here:

1 Like

I love playlists, and I love creating them, but to me, they donā€™t make for a deep listening experience really. Spotify is the perfect platform for it, they put all their focus on playlists and are neglecting albums or the thought of a library with ā€œyour musicā€ more and more ā€¦ so Iā€™m very thankful that Roon is offering an alternative to it.

Of course it would be nice to have a better playlist functionality in Roon, but I think Spotify is THE platform for this, also with the social feature to see what playlists others are creating.

8 Likes

For example, using Tidal, when I search for playlist in Tidal, I get a lot of results.
When I search in roon you donā€™t get the same results.
For a library type of thing roon tries to beā€¦
Iā€™m left most dissapointed most of the time.
If it wasnā€™t for HQP integration, there is nothing roon does better than Tidal /qobuz

Iā€™m not sure i understand the problem here. Why wouldnā€™t you just use the search function, type kind ofā€¦ and then be presented with the album that way. Using filter terms to find an album from the home page sounds convoluted and needless.

you mean apart from support sonos, airplay, chromecast audio, across multiple rooms each with their own DSP / crossfade settings, while all being controllable from a convenient remote control device?

The qobuz / tidal apps donā€™t offer anywhere near the functionality of roon. Always a need to have some form of active device playing the music, which only one person can interact with.

For me, roon is a fantastic tool for managing a large library of my own files (which again qobuz / tidal canā€™t do) and allowing me to send it to several different types of endpoint in different rooms.

2 Likes

Totally. Thatā€™s a big part of why i love Roon.

I think the suggestion was that in the case that Roon were to be out for 1-2 hours because of some weird synchronization thing where your core and app werenā€™t compatible for a bit, I and others could likely survive and not call foulā€¦ this is a complex roll out. I know i could make it work.

Have there been any dank leaks about the comparative CPU/RAM load between 1.7 and 1.8?

I run my Core on fairly wheezy hardware, so if itā€™s suddenly starts slurping (even) more resources, that would be sadface.

Also, has the Linux memory leak been fixed?

Roon itself wonā€™t be out, just the iDevice or Android device, for a while. Roon can still be controlled from a PC.

Iā€™d definitely be interested, too. especially in 2-way syncing. So thatā€™s at least three of us.

1 Like

Iā€™ve also been commenting on the playlist functionality, but yes, apparently we are in the minority. Thereā€™s been no improvement there in years. Still canā€™t add songs to a Tidal playlist in Roon. Canā€™t even add songs to my Roon library from a Tidal playlist.

4 Likes

And smart playlists! Something similar to how itunes implements them would be absolutely incredible.

4 Likes

The native Tidal app is a great option for listing on the go, but unfortunately, Roon still lacks the ability even to add songs to a Tidal playlist. (It might in a few days, but itā€™s not looking good.) Iā€™m fine if roon never offers a mobile version, but Iā€™d like it to at least offer this basic functionality that Audirvana and BluOS have managed to include. Otherwise, thereā€™s no point in building a library in roon.

2 Likes