Roon 1.8 (Build 748/756/763/764) Feedback

Has the way labels are displayed changed? I have an ACT card on file. Before the update, I saw all the CDs with the ACT label and now I don’t see any

A post was split to a new topic: Crashes also when I scroll down in the Tidal view

In TRACKS view for an album, I no longer see which tags I may have attached to individual tracks. How do I reconfigure this display to get that important functionality back?

EDIT: Here’s one of my use cases:
A frequent part of my workflow is that I’ll play through all the tracks in an album – sometimes just to enjoy a leisurely real-time play through the album, often while scanning through albums to categorize tracks for later play under other circumstances.

If something I like catches my ear, I’ll add a tag to help me find the cool tracks later – I might tag something as “cheerful” or “glitchy” or “dubsteppy” or “long-jammy” or “squonky” or “swinging” or “hurrying” or having male voices harmonizing. I also have a general tag for all tracks I find interesting enough in some way that I might want to play them in a future radio show (which is distinct from applying a heart to tracks one wants to hear come up more often at home).

Imagine, if you will, just how badly screwed I am when I find myself in an album view which gives absolutely no clue as to which tags are already applied to any of the tracks.

Sure, the main purpose of tags is to go from a tag to all the things tagged with it… but while doing tagging, you really really need to see what’s already tagged and with what tags, or every time you’re doing some auditioning and something grabs you, you have to go through the time-consuming and inconvenient motions of blindly tagging (possibly re-tagging) that thing – or go down the even longer path of doing a tag search to try to find the track you’re looking at in that tag’s track list – because you can’t see what’s already tagged.

My reaction to this is a mix of fury and despair. Please fix it.

14 Likes

So far I like it a lot except the purple colour of some text, buttons, waveform ect. I think a light blue (like the blue colour in different shades used here on this forum) would be better…less aggresive. When I opened it for the first time I thought that I have opened a high contrast mode and I was looking for seetings to change it to a more suble version. It looks atractive at first but it is somehow tiring.

The wave is shorter now which initially I thought is no so good but that gives more space for any future ‘buttons’ I guess. Not a big deal.

Generally lots of good changes! Thanks.

1 Like

The date of addition of file to the database doesn’t seem to be available. Anyone know where it’s hiding?

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Settings not displaying properly or crashing on 1.8 [Ticket in - Workaround in thread]

Well, that’s very strange. I too have a lot of unidentified “boxsets” (personal recordings of things like the BBC Proms). Yet with filetags, I seem to have a very workable Focus system; including Compositions:

The ‘versions’ tab seems to be at Album level, whereas it used to be at track level. Is that hiding somewhere ?

I set up “Custom Album Display” to show “Qobuz” and “Library” badges.
A search leads to “Albums” in display.
If I click “More” from “Albums”, the badges are no longer displayed. Why? This is info I want to see when I looking at a screen full of album covers.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Settings not displaying properly or crashing on 1.8 [Ticket in - Workaround in thread]

It works great on my Android phone, but with my Chromebook running Android 9 the Roon app is missing the menu icon in the top left corner. Therefore, I am unable to access the menus. Very annoying.

Update went quite smooth and I am pretty positive about the new Roon.

Something that already caught me is that (on iOS) some click targets are not clear as interactive elements.

For example here:

Had to tap wildly on the screen to realize that multiple white text words (such as artist and record name) lead to different destinations. I know this now but what else am I missing out that are not clear.

2 Likes

I miss being able to see the star ratings when in album view. Please bring this back!

Otherwise, awesome. Thanks!

13 Likes

I have several cases like that…

1 Like

If Roon can’t identify the album(s), then you will need to provide your own filetags… This is nothing new, I think?

In the iOS (iPhone 12 Pro Max) app if I scroll in the list of My Albums and I select and album then go back, the view scrolls to the top. And I have to find where I were in my list. This is making the iOS app unusable for me. Settings - About crashes the app. Seems you guys need to iron out some bugs. Fixing the scoll position is top priority from my point of view.

2 Likes

So many long outstanding requests, and the only two which seem to have made it into this release are vertical scrolling and portrait mode. Well, that’s something I suppose. All in all a bit meh from my perspective if I were to be brutally honest.

10 Likes

This 1.8 is an absolute disaster.

Every single UI/UX change is plain bad. First, everything is now huge. I have a 4K screen on PC and an IPad Pro 12.9” and the amount of data shown is now half of what is was (and it wasn’t enough to begin with). The continuous scrolling down instead of the paged side scrolling makes my entire present setup unusable, before I had 4-8 pages of easy to navigate collections, now I have one big mess. And no, the focus function does not help, if I new what I wanted to listen to to I would just search for that, I want to see all the options within a collection and choose from those. Many of the existing functions such as the indented, structured song titles with rich metadata, such as tags, playlists are gone, we only have long lists of song titles which are just blending together. My eyes are completely wrecked from the amount of mindless scrolling, and also the scrolling is abysmally bad, slow and juddery on iPad. On windows 10 (Ryzen 5950x w/ 3080) the UI is even slower, the last time I saw something like this in the early 90s on an XT. Clicks executed with half a second lags, screen loading in half a minute.

The very reason why I don’t use the Tidal and Qobuz apps because those have the same unusable UI solutions. I want the old UI back. I have paid hundreds of euros for a lifetime access for that UI, not this joke.

Also, now tags work differently (both in focus and bookmarks): you cannot add two tags to a search or bookmark, you can only use them together as a logical AND or a logical NOT, but no OR (which was the default before). As the tags had been added to my albums with that functionality in mind, now I would have to retag some 2000 albums too.

Frankly, if anyone has an alternative software please recommend it, I don’t care about the 600 EUR I’ve paid, I want something that is usable.

23 Likes

Fixed Export in my case. Well done, thank you :slight_smile:

Missing the album ratings nothing else stands out yet, too early to say.

2 Likes

come on Geoff - do you believe I have my file tags not in order :wink: ?

All my files have WORK and PART tags. Roon also does properly link back to the composition if I click on the disc symbol.