Roon 1.8 (Build 748/756/763/764) Feedback

Did you scroll all the way to the bottom of the list (It is scrollable). There should also be a slider bar just to the right of the list, indicating it’s scrollable.

1 Like

I imagine that there are new features that I may come to like, but early impressions are not favourable:

• Large serif font used all over is ugly and out of keeping with the overall look.
  • Very unhappy that I can no longer favourite a track directly in the now playing view on my iPhone.
  • Add to tag isn’t working properly on the iPhone. I don’t see previously added tags and sometimes the list of tags doesn’t show at all.
  • And where have bookmarks gone on the iPhone?
6 Likes

Well guys, I have to say, the emails leading up to 1.8 release built up the expectations. That these were met or exceeded is testament to the work that has gone into the new interface. Good work that man. Loving it
Particularly like the vertical scrolling of library AND I can now use Roon portrait or landscape. Update was a breeze on galaxy tab s7plus and s20 phone (both via play store), 432evo updated silently in the background error free as well. Big thumbs-up from me
:+1::+1::+1::+1:

3 Likes

Why show irrelevant release dates in a focus view (1920s, 1930s, etc.)? Warp Records was founded in 1989. You can filter genres, performers, composers and can’t filter release years?

5 Likes

I also prefer the horizontal scrolling. I could peruse my albums much more quickly and easily.

7 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Roon crashes when opening some playlists

Love the update. Modern interface, clearly thought through. There are some strange bits, but overall the way I use it, seems faster. I, for one, am a fan of whitespace. And purple is as good as any other distinctive color. We shall all get used to it.

My one note is that I get a lot more “spinning cursor” - seems like querying either local USB or Tidal or something has more latency.

1 Like

I can see a few more focus categories have been added. But when I try and do a focus that means something to me I cannot.

So for example. I have tagged Classical Piano as Classical/Piano. If I want to filter on solo Classical Piano then I can +focus “Classical/Piano” and -focus “Concerto” and that gets me what I want.

But I cannot do it the other way round. If I do +focus “Classical/Piano” and +focus “Concerto”. I get all solo piano, all piano concertos and all other concertos including violin, cello, saxophone, orchestra etc.

If I want to focus on modern choral sacred music that excludes avant-garde I have similar problems although fiddling about with my genre hierarchy might help. There is also the composition view but that is too crude and the metadata too incomplete to make those sorts of filters.

In order to overcome this I have ended up using a lot of the old green “roon tags”. They are still there but not green anymore. So file tags and roon tags instead of the visual clue of green and blue are now grey and grey, with the only visual clue that one uses a capitals and the other a capitalised type face.

I must say I find the use of large type faces and so many different ones and the general layout and the poor use of screen real estate in many of the screens quite bewildering. I am not seeing any new functionality. What have I missed?

2 Likes

If you press on ‘View more’ you can select individual years
Dirk

Thanks for mentioning that. This is horrible.
@support Need to be fixed.

9 Likes

Very much agree. Please make it come back!

4 Likes

You’d be surprised but not everyone checks the forum first. The release notes of the IOS app are there for precisely that, it’s their entire purpose… would it have been so hard for Roon to mention such a critical point there? Now I am stuck with an IOS device that can’t be used without forcing me to move to 1.8…

2 Likes

A very rapidly growing thread here…

First of all, hats off to the Roon team, hard work has evidently gone into this. There will be a number of issues to sort out by the looks of it, but it worked fine for me out of the box.

Leaving aside feature requests and just commenting on a few bugs I have found so far:

• Some albums tagged as “album” appear in the “singles and EPs” section (e.g. Pink Floyd - Meddle)
  • The album version information on the album page is truncated if it doesn’t fit on the screen; preferably it would appear on the next line
  • Please - the ability to hide the “popular” section on the artist page!
  • When browsing “versions” of an album, there appears to be more info, but the actual version is a bit hard to find and should be more highlighted
  • A lot of unused space on larger screens(not really a bug, but can be improved)
  • In the artist page, the “compilations” heading is actually showing albums “with various artists”, not compilations - compilations are appearing in the main albums section
  • In the artist page, the album release date should be labelled for clarity
  • When browsing album images, you can no longer scroll through them with the mouse scroll wheel (at least in Windows 10)
  • Again not really a bug, but I agree that the waveform seekbar could be a little bigger (also, if it could be more detailed/higher resolution that would be excellent…)
1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Unable to update QNAP Core

I had to restart Roon in my Qnap and then it downloaded

I feel like the time when Microsoft removed start menu in Windows 8.

I think the new UI is a huge step and the connections valence makes are remarkable. Also the classical has improved.

But there also as many elements that is a step backwards. For instance, instead of improving boxset handling, making a scrollable disc select menu is a disasster… I am sure many others will be mentioned

2 Likes

Hi,

Massive overhaul of the UI is great, font is much improved, the presentation is more compact and scrolling is fixed - a nice controllable mouse scroll.

Upgrade was flawless across windows 10 server and clients, and IOS (iPads and iPhones).

No complaints, one suggestion - let us know when you will start releasing it.

Thanks for a great upgrade!

That was one of my main complaints with BlueOS and one reason I tried Roon. They MUST fix that for sure.

Just having a look around the new build at the new moment. Looks really nice so far. Updated my (Android) phone controller first which triggered an update on my Synology RS3617xs NAS. Since then, I’ve updated one Windows 10 PC controller and two Android tablet controllers. So far it’s all tickety boo. No issues at all :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You should see compositions as part of focus. That helps with navigation in boxsets. The more complex focus scenario you describe might be a problem.

not too much, I‘m afraid