Roon 1.8 (Build 748/756/763/764) Feedback

They killed Kenny.

Some initial impressions:

1. Still no love for the red-headed step child of Roon - History. Focus and filter nearly everywhere has been one of the major features touted for the release, but it’s missing from arguably one of the most useful places for it. There’s no configurable columns either. The only new thing about history is load times are quicker. So now it’s useless, faster. And the row widths are higher so there’s even less info shown. Why not implement the same schema as the Tracks section?

2. I like the shift of the play bar to the centre, but the waveform has shrunk again. I remember when Roon experimented with doing that last time around and it was almost universally requested to revert it to full size. They’re having another go it seems.

3. The artist Overview and Discography tabs look like a huge complication for very little benefit. In fact everything feels like more clicks to do the same stuff. That might be unfamiliarity but it doesn’t look promising. And it’s really hard to see what’s in the streaming libraries that I might want to add to my library at a glance.

4. Performance. It feels worse on my crappy hardware. It’s doing a display trick where the artist photo is displayed really quickly but actually displaying content takes a very long time. The “spinning Roon” animation is going to get old very quickly.

5. Tags: Not sure about the design decision to make them such a stealth colour. Seems odd. And removing a tag is now a massive faff. You can add a tag from the tag manager, but you can only remove a tag by going into the contents, right clicking and selecting remove from tag. Grim.

6 Likes