Roon 1.8 (Build 748/756/763/764) Feedback

I use my 11" iPad Pro 100% of the time…I have an iPhone 12 Pro and never even tried it? My cell phone is pretty much used as just a phone/texting device. All the updates are working fine for me…although for whatever reason I have 22 more albums on my Roon Core than I do on a MAC Mini Roon server…??? I never even install albums on my Core just the server…weird…

I’m not seeing the following in 763:

New “Customize Album Display” options:

• Star rating
  • MQA badge

iPad, ROCK.

I must be blind, but I can’t see this functionality at all on my IPad. Do I need to reboot my Innuos music server after the latest upgrade?

Silly question, but did you update your iPad app on the Apple App Store?

That’s the joke of the year! (the learning part). And the year is still young!

I’ve been a happy lifetimer since 2015, but today I’d like to declare that V 1.8 set a new standard in metadata management. Yes, I wish the font size could be adjustable, the sound wave bar was a bit longer, etc., etc., but these are minor qualms that I’m sure will be improved further. I like digging in my favorite musicians history, discography in their heyday, and their influences/relations with other musicians, etc., and the new Roon is an eye-opener. It’s as if I’m walking through a world library of music managed by an extremely meticulous and knowledgeable librarian.

Great job, Team Roon!!

4 Likes

I haven’t seen much on this, though at least one other, but I preferred the “tabbing” of multi-disc sets vs the now drop-down. I can’t understand why bother spending time, and dis-orienting users, on something so perhaps mundane and basic when it worked! IIABDFI

3 Likes

Hi Jim, I have deleted and reinstalled the iPad app and that seems to have done the trick. I had to do the same with the initial 1.8 upgrade, which I learned by trial and error. I don’t recall seeing that advice in the original release notes or this latest update, though I may be mistaken. Thanks for the reply.

1 Like

Great to see the shuffle bug fixed. Thanks Roon team.

How about being able to focus on more than one genre as previous version allowed? Pretty much the only major lingering issue for me at this time.

1 Like

Not so silly. Looked several times and the App Store gave the ‘Open’ option only. I had to select the app details which lo and behold changed the status before my very eyes to ‘Update’!

So thanks :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Build 763, I search for say “mississippi john hurt” select the albums display.
Even though in settings I have
General → customize album display → show tidal badge,
I don’t see anything here to indicate if an album is in my own library or if it’s on tidal.

1 Like

What just using the filter? Has same effect.

No, not the same effect at all. Touching B+A in the old ABC bar in 1.7 took you to the first artist whose name started with Ba. Same as when you press the BA keys on a PC.

Typing BA into the filter in 763 now shows all albums that have the letters BA anywhere:

Apparently this changed with 763 a bit. With 756 it showed everything with B and A anywhere, like e.g. Ambros. See the screenshots in the linked other thread

Same here.

However, if you select the Artist result instead, then select Discography, then the proper badges show.

@Support should have a look at this.

Zooming to a location in your album library is a different thing that filtering down to a segment of that library. They should act totally different. If filtering, keep typing until you have gotten specific enough to eliminate all you don’t want. It’s working correctly.

If I start with B, then e, then a, etc., the albums shown gets less and less until I finally get to Beatles and only see Beatles albums.

Yes, the filtering is working correctly. This is why it does not have the same effect as and is not a replacement for the old ABC bar. Both are useful for separate things, but the ABC bar is gone

Yes I know, like I wrote above. The problem is that the ABC bar (equivalent to typing the keys on a PC with keyboard) was there on the Tablet, but was taken away in 1.8. Comments like “just use the filter”, which is a totally different thing, and “just use the keyboard”, which the tablet does not have, are NOT helpful.

And yes, the scroll bar with the character popup is not a replacement either, like you wrote

I have only one request for now.

7 Likes

I just updated my core to build 763 and now I can no longer connect using the remote app on my ipad. Connection fails repeatedly. Reinstall remote did not resolve. Without remote Roon is moot.