Roon 1.8 (Build 748/756/763/764) Feedback

That is indeed missing badly. What happened to it?

4 Likes

This just makes me super happy. I love Roon hacking. I’d be happier if there were both OR and AND. But this makes me happy.

3 Likes

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 22.41.08 Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 22.41.29

All live radio station links seem to be broken… I’ve reinstalled 1.8 and restored two different backups to no avail.

1 Like

I think a lot of people here are forgetting that this is DAY ONE of the roll out, and maybe they should dial back their antagonism a little bit. Things will get fixed, bugs will get squashed, UI will improve on user request. [Moderated]

7 Likes

I was going to bring this up, but I’ll add my voice here instead. There is plenty of room under Browse in the menu. Discover is one of the big selling points of Roon, and they have pretty much hidden it away.

3 Likes

My biggest wish for the moment would be a Back to 1.7 button.
Sorry, but thats true

17 Likes

That didn’t occur to me when I made the suggestion of using Focus.

Strange how some of the most important functions for music lovers have been removed. I also find the star rating extremely helpful when looking for new music. The removal of recommended albums is maybe even worse

16 Likes

100-album box sets are extremely common with Classical music. I cannot do a screen shot now for obvious reasons, but what used to happen, is that you would see Disk 1 … Disk 100 wrapped sequentially on the screen, with links to the disks taking up pretty much the whole of the screen. Of course you would have no clue what was on Disk 37 or Disk 89 making the view essentially unnavigable.

But as with your experience with smaller box-sets up to about 10 I found the previous horizontal layout ok. I actually had no complaints for smaller box-sets in 1.7. The vertical slider layout in 1.8 I now have on the laptop I use as my primary remote is not an improvement. Just makes it more awkward. I also use a bluetooth keyboard to a TV screen as a secondary remote and any slider interface borders on unusable using that.

2 Likes

In the main, very pleased - thank you, Roon folk, for all the hard work.
However… I’ve noticed (using ROCK on a NUC8i5, and remotes on iPad Pro, iPhone 11 & Win 10 PC) that if I go to an artist page, the overview takes an absolute age to fully populate - as much as thirty seconds on one occasion, not much less on others.

This seems odd, as if I go directly to ‘discography’, everything appears pretty much straight away.

Michael

EDIT: All seems fine now, so either it was caches being completed or maybe a back end server issue. Whichever, it looks like it’s been sorted. Thanks again, Roon folk!

1 Like

@Occamsrazor Here you go.

1 Like

Hi Where do you see new releases? Previously this was at the top, Discover-> New Releases and you could sort by date or relevance.

I don’t find this now and That was the most useful for me.

Thanks
Rich

If you choose from genres actually it works with AND.

Also you can do this trick:

But the problem is that you can’t select several tags with OR relation. We talk about this.

In Focus, if you select 2 Selfdefined tags, you now do net get the sum of these 2 tags, but only the results where the 2 Tags are present.
E.g. I have a tag for New availablealbums, and a Prerelease tag for Visible Qobuz albums, that could not yet be streamed.
In 1.7 release, I selected both NEW & PRERELEASE tags, to see my yet to play albums.
Now the result of combining these 2 tags is 0, as I never gave a PRERELEASE tagged album the NEW tag. the result equaling 0 means Roon is applying the AND function now
Dirk

5 Likes

I haven’t used it enough to appreciate the good stuff going on buried underneath the GUI. But the GUI is the first thing that I saw. :frowning_face_with_open_mouth: um… vertical scrolling is cool. Seems to be a lot of it going on to get to the music. Still no swipe back… or perhaps two finger gesture to go back on ios devices… would be nice to be able to swipe back to the discography from and album.

At first I thought it was nice and clean. But the more I use it the more it find it very boring and dull. Its all starts to blend in together and look the same. (Anyone remember all the round buttons on the adcom cd players! ugh!) Too much rounding going on with the graphics and fonts. Gets old fast. It needs more edge.

Needs more shading, or depth, or some sort of background underlay that varies from album to album that goes with the mood or vibe of the content being viewed.

When using the light setting everything seems washed out.
And the dark just has way too much contrast going on.

I find the smaller fonts are fatiguing to read. And the larger fonts are just too large.

Maybe it’ll grow a bit more on me, I’ve only got a few hours in it. But there us still just something off with the balance of the it.
Needs more Feng Shui.

Thank you Roon Team.
(I also miss the the little format icons.)

3 Likes

Where on earth are the albums suggestions?
I used to discover new albums with that !!!

Edit: this beloved feature came back. I suppose it was due to heavy server load. Best. Thanks Roon team for this great work. Only thing remaining to be dealt with: the white screen after the app falls asleep in iOS.

19 Likes

Anyone having trouble with Roon Radio not being able to access Tidal and/or Qobuz? I get an “Unexpected Error. Limiting Room Radio to Library.” Tracks play fine directly from both services though.

1 Like

One complaint. I’m stuck at work and haven’t seen 1.8 in action. Will Roon include in the next update, the day off for the next upgrade? :wink:

1 Like

Upgrade went without a hitch on Core (2018 Mac mini/Mojave), main Remote (2018 MacBook Pro/Mojave), and an android tablet. Really like the new interface and features, and noticed a big improvement with classical music and enhanced focus functions. Everything seems pretty intuitive. The only beef I have is I’d like to be able to see more items on the albums screen (say 18 or 24 rather than 12).

Great job Roon :clap: :+1:.

1 Like

I worked in record stores for 10 years, two of them with dedicated classical stores attached as an aside. I don’t think I ever saw a 100 (or even 50) disc classic box set. “Extremely common” might be a little hyperbolic.