Roon 1.8 (Build 748/756/763/764) Feedback

Yeah, I just noticed this too. Shuffling my whole collection is how I use Roon like 50% of the time. Bummer.

Not on all screens, the Album, Artist and most of those under My Library along with Now Playing screen utilize the space, but, the majority are centered like the pic.

Could use some sort of a gray gradient. Or it needs something between 17 & 30% grayā€¦ I always liked to use 23% gray for my desktop background.

No more track numbers in playlists? Are you serious? :astonished:

6 Likes

When in album view, artwork will take some time to load even after already viewing (and thus caching?) all the artwork previously. This happens every single time, not just the first time.

In 1.7 my album artwork was always preloaded when scrolling through my albums.

Core is an 8th gen NUC with 16gb of RAM so that shouldnā€™t be the issue.

This happens on iPad Pro (2020) as well as on my iMac (2020, 64gb ram)

3 Likes

You right, man.
Itā€™s difficoult to image ā€œthe beta testerā€ not having report all the crashes we are living now!
(And Iā€™m talking about iOS, not some Linux oriented firmwareā€¦)
But, if we can hope it will be solvedā€¦ how is it possible that there is NO MORE the useful feature to see on the right side all the artist/album you got on you NAS while you are playing one of them of him/her?
And what about the ā€œhorribleā€ big circle icons of the artists? It seems ā€œandroidā€ 4.0

Beta testerā€¦ Bah.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not seeing an error. Running on windows 10.
But for me i am only getting library and not Qoboz

I do hope this is a bug and not a design choiceā€¦ it seems weird to have some screens utilize the whole width but not othersā€¦ a lot of people use high-res screens these days.

3 Likes

was this an issue before. I have only be on roon for about 6 months. 1.7 was running smoothly for me.

Tongue in cheek sarcasm. . Lol

1 Like

Seems to be working better now. Iā€™ve basically restarted(also cleared all caches) everything starting with my Roon Core, followed by my remotes and finally restarting my iPhone. No crashes the last few minutes.

I donā€™t have that at all. I go to an album and do not see any more of the bandā€™s albums, for any band/artist.

This is the first time that I prefer the ā€œlightā€ theme!
Havenā€™t had much chance to explore everything but this update is amazing.
Track-level metadata is something I thought we would never get and itā€™s something Iā€™ve been missing in previous versions.

ā€œPlay nowā€ has been failing for me all day on and off (even before the update), I guess everyoneā€™s using Roon now and the servers/DBs are loaded.

1 Like

Amidst all the expected lamenting and grouching I want to celebrate the obvious truth that this version transforms Roon use for classical music - and itā€™s great for jazz too, I can see myself happily going down many rabbit-holes with obscure sidemen. I expect Iā€™ll find some design aspects that arenā€™t perfect, but on both Mac and iPad Iā€™m really happy with this update, love the overall look. Congratulations.

5 Likes

One of the things Iā€™d dearly like to see die is the notion that a touch-oriented interface will work just fine for a computer interface. It really feels like 1.8 was designed for tablets, with everything else as an afterthought.

3 Likes

Are you referring to the ā€œRecommended for youā€ list with 2 albums on the right? Oh noā€¦ is it really gone? I used to love that feature.

5 Likes

Not sure why that is. Something for the Roon team to explain, I suppose.

Dream on. With the new Macs, development for iOS will take priority and simply transfer over. Has already happened with the Lumin app. Likely to become the norm with Apple.

Thank you for the tip but it really doesnā€™t make any sense! A boxed set is made of discsā€¦ Instead of making it more usable and give the possibility to add name to each disc (a long demanded featured request) they made it even more unusable so that you have to use focus??? Nonsense!

Itā€™s at the bottom of home page.