Roon 1.8 (Build 748/756/763/764) Feedback

Create a Bookmark for your discover page.

Not ideal but still quicker than scrolling down to the skinny bar on the home page.

just updatedā€¦not goodā€¦the sound is garbageā€¦ super lean bad attempt at detailā€¦bass is awful ā€¦ballads now sound like dance tracks whats with the speed? way too fast allan taylor sounds like a chipmunk
the header takes up half the screen on my tablet and theres no track numbers in playlists great

1 Like

Once you have applied both NOT A and Not B tag, you need to select all items (albums, ā€¦) and and create a new tag C for all selected.
Then reser all, apply the new C and invert it .
NOT C = NOT ( NOT A & NOT B).
You can then create a bookmark for this

1 Like

What screen are you in, Tony? I have the Edit function present for tracks in the Album detail view, and in the Track browser itselfā€¦

Or are you talking about the Mobile interface (iOS and Android)? You need to use a Tablet or PC/Mac to have the Edit function displayed.

I think this would mean that I would need to update the C tag each time I add a new album?

1 Like

Just like on the desktop, Iā€™d appreciate if you brought back the ability to adjust ā€˜Memory for photos/artworkā€™ regarding Image caching. I think my iPad Pro is more than capable of using the max setting of 2048 MB, the constant refreshing of album artwork on iOS devices that has been introduced with 1.8 leads me to believe this value isnā€™t the default one that is now being used.

I confirm. My rating stars that are stored using ROONTRACKTAG are no longer displayed while looking at album tracks.

Is that a bug ?

1 Like

I am just using a Windows 10 laptop. I am in the tracks of the album detail view you mention.

I used to be able to access the track editor from here. Several other options I seem to remember as well.

Iā€™ve just added a Nino Rota album to my library from Qobuz. There is a lot of missing composition grouping information. It doesnā€™t always work but maybe 50/50 I can force roon to recognise the composition grouping but I have to be able to access the track editor.

Staggered at the amount of people moaning on hereā€¦ the internet is a sad place sometimes. Iā€™m a designer by trade and I for one think you have done a beautiful job; I really like the typography, the colour palette, the spacing, the treatment of artist imagery and the new focus is a marvel.

Sure there are one or two bugs, but overall a much needed revamp that has been executed in style.

Thank you!

14 Likes

Have to say 1.8 is a huge disappointment. Having waited for so long the release turns out to be a case of the Emperorā€™s New Clothes. Thereā€™s no new functionality at all, after years of user requests for many important features, and indeed some important existing functionality has been lost. So now we have a refreshed, but less usable, version of what we had beforeā€¦ Maybe 1.9? :confused:

8 Likes

That little sub screen is scrollableā€¦

ā€¦I know, not obvious.

Donā€™t like the fact that you can now only add one tag at a time. I normally add a bunch of tags that I could add in one go. Why is that?

I was hoping to search content from Qobuz and Tidal by label but itā€™s still only library content.

Thanks
Bill

I donā€™t have a scroll bar. Is there a switch I have to set?

There are not 1 or 2 bugsā€¦ there are many, many more. Even if youā€™re not going into downgraded existing features like tags, track numbers, missing ratings etcā€¦ just plain bugs are all aroundā€¦

1 Like

Thank you. In that sub menu I see only ā€œShareā€¦ā€, ā€œExportā€¦ā€ and ā€œEditā€¦ā€.

I think it would be more accurate to say that a number of very vocal and regular contributors to the forum were demanding vertical scrolling. I never understood why! I suspect it was largely individuals who use Roon on small devices such as phones which canā€™t begin to provide the user experience you would get on a larger screen.

I personally prefer horizontal to vertical scrolling on my 32" monitor or on my 15" Windows 10 touchscreen laptop, but I am relatively ambivalent. What I really hate (and thatā€™s not too strong a word for my views) is some of the other visual design choices that have been made and which make the user experience so much less pleasing!

2 Likes

WOW!!!
Besides obvious visual updates, I canā€™t say enough about actual sound upgrade.
I donā€™t know what you guys did but it completely transformed my system. Presence of the sound is so much different. Depth is much more ā€œvividā€. Staging improved. Details immerse. Oh, did I mention sound warmth?
This is one of those rare occasions where listener re-discovers music with one ā€œsimpleā€ software upgrade. It simply ā€œgluedā€ me to my chair. I am amazed, thankful, energizedā€¦
Keep up a great work!!
Thank you.

Hmm, youā€™re right. Sorry, bad info. Edit should be there though.

I think very nice of new roon,than before.
My English no good.just write a some.

2 Likes

Missing information on playlists.

In the previous version you could see which tracks from an album were included in different playlists. This has vanished. You can no longer see which tracks you included in playlists. I have not found an option where this could be added again. Missing this makes adding tracks and causing duplicates a real issue.

Otherwise everything looks okay.

1 Like