Roon 1.8 (Build 748/756/763/764) Feedback

I use irony (or sarcasm) as I did in this case… Of course it was not directed to you but to 1.8 and its “complicating simple things” philosophy PS I consider discovering something that I payed 500 euros for and that manage something I worked for most of my life (records), changed for the worst, very significant in my life

1 Like

So far, I’m liking 1.8, but I think the new UI needs some tweaking. The stats part is cool, but it needs to be at least on the bottom of the screen if not a tab to look at when you want to. This app is all about music and I think that front page should be just strictly music, not data graphs.

2 Likes

I agree with Steve. Certainly, there is a lot of muscle memory for long-time users that will need to be overcome. I feel their pain.

However, this upgrade is so ambitious — upgrading the Core while simultaneously upgrading all the front ends. Kudos to the Roon team.

And while there are some temporary visual glitches, I think overall 1.8 is beautiful and the people at Roon did a wonderful job on the user interface. The purple pops on the white background. I like my name at the top, because I am a freaking star and Roon recognizes that. The fonts are fine by me.

I’m finding all kinds of little improvements as I explore. The scrollbars are just a bit easier to nail in Windows, and it’s such a small thing, but it means a lot over time. I also like the new white Roon icon.

2 Likes

Please make the Search field back to the size in 1.7.
Searching on fx, wienerphil Brahms kleiber and correcting the search is too hard and trumblesum.

4 Likes

:grinning: That’s it! You know just what I like. Brilliant!

1 Like

It’s literally just a facet setting that you set and forget. I guess that’s a real hardship for some people?

I also get a kick out of the fact that the same people who are relentlessly slagging the devs get upset and flag the posts of anyone who disagrees with them. Classy.

1 Like

And this blue box is just horrible… :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

@Jim_F Again, the A-Z quick index jump feature allowed users to operate Roon without a keyboard. It was essential for that purpose. Roon, please bring it back!

1 Like

But what is a “pick” exactly? And who decides that?

EDIT: Sorry, just found the explanation: FAQ: What do the check marks next to albums and songs mean?

1 Like

Somebody had to tell me also.

1 Like

Crashes scrolling in tidal. (iPad Pro 2020)

Same here - an essential function for me. Also used to be able to approve up next tracks. Hope this can be sorted.

Do you have a few links?

Too early to verify / judge on all pro’s and cons.
Nevertheless my first observation is that I dreadfully miss the mqa indication and star ratings on suggested albums which were the most important criteria for my listening selection. Hopefully this functionality can be build back in?

6 Likes

Loving the build overall, but how do I Focus on individual years? It must be possible, right?

1 Like

How do you know if Roon has updated your core successfully?

— 'It was the best of times, it was the worst of times , it was the age of Covid, it was the age of Roon 1.8.
(with apologies to Charles Dickens)

2 Likes

Ha ha ha, my exact thoughts about the new “Popular Section” . At least before, “Top Tracks” would adapt to your listening habits of that artist. I don’t think it does that anymore (please correct me if I am wrong).

1 Like

Very frequent crashing in 1.8 - I click a metadata link and it crashes to desktop. The whole thing feels very beta. Lot of hype, looks fine, but doesn’t feel like a finished product. Please fix.

1 Like

I’m missing the “New” banner on album covers when I add a new album. When I see an album from Qobuz I would like to try later, I add it to my library. When viewing the “Recently Added” screen, I could quickly identify the new albums I added but not yet played by the “New” banner on the cover.

Hopefully we can get this banner back?

8 Likes