Roon 1.8 (Build 748/756/763/764) Feedback

One great new feature is the ability to quickly scroll through albums with an alphabetical slide on the right. This was something I always hoped would happen and makes finding albums on a mobile so much easier.

2 Likes

@Brandon. Yeah, 1.8. I admit that the shuffle limit would obviously be a problem for you. I have 25,000 tracks but canā€™t see myself ever wanting to shuffle as many as 5,000. So I hadnā€™t come across this problem. The other aspect of your problem would also be most annoying. I get that sometimes and sometimes not. I search for ā€œBrahmsā€ I get all the Brahms in my library first and then Brahms recordings outside of my library. So then I enter Beethoven 5th, and like you get all sorts of nonsense. But if I enter ā€œBeethoven Symphony 5ā€ I get reasonable results, listing from my collection first and then everything else, and mostly without any crap.

Thatā€™s not to excuse Roon. I canā€™t understand why a program as sophisticated as Roon , and a client base who are often generating massive databases, doesnā€™t have an advanced search function, with multiple parameters, AND/OR/NOT operators, etc. The same thing with Focus. It should be more sophisticated, with multiple search fields, AND/OR/NOT operators, etc.

So I guess Iā€™m agreeing with you.

3 Likes

I had considerable problems first off with the 1.8 update. Specifically, when I changed the setup of one of my endpoints, it opened and saved fine, but then disappeared, and I had to reboot the server software to get it back. Other people seemed to have this problem with non-English installations, mine is English.

However, now that I have updated the core (runs on a NUC), and the various remote clients have updated themselves, all seems good. Iā€™m finding things in the application I didnā€™t find before, and I like the interface.

Thanks.

2 Likes

I suspect itā€™s the case just a very small percentage of users would use it. Roon probably know the frequency with which someone does a search and starts playing something relatively quickly (i.e. a success). People have gotten used to how easy ā€˜Googlingā€™ is. For better or worse.

Iā€™m not defending the decision. I do structured searches on the National Library of Medicine all the time. I could not live with just a simple search. But I almost always start with a simple search first to see if I can get away with a fast answer.

Is the 5000 track shuffle limit intentional? Not being able to shuffle my entire library it a deal breaker, actually. Is this being reported as a bug? Is there official messaging on this? Because as much as love Roon, this alone could push me in another direction, unfortunately.

Okay this is being addressed and has an official response:

2 Likes

You might be cancelled if you say something against Roon 1.8. Canā€™t you recognize perfection? We users are not intelligent enough to know what we want.

1 Like

Got it. Thanks a lot!

1 Like

You can turn it on:
Settings ā†’ General ā†’ Customize album display

Thanks Arlen, but Iā€™m not seeing a selection in the Custom Album display that allows for displaying the star rating on the albums when shown on the discography page. But it might just be me :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I seeā€¦ I thought you meant the heart. Were the stars visible in album view in 1.7?

Since upgrading ROCK to 1.8 I started noticing what Iā€™ve found to be called ā€˜coil whineā€™ coming from my NUC 7I5BNH in fanless Akasa case.
Strangely, only when playing streamed tracks (Qobutz in my case), not with tracks in library.
I opened another thread here:

I never heard this until 1.8, so I wonder if this latest release puts the machine running the core under greater stress when streaming.
Anyone else noticed it? Any hints? (a fix would be even better! :slight_smile: )

1 Like

How I used ROON 1.7:

ROON: dicovery, maintaining streaming collection, playback/rating local files + Qobuz + Tidal
JRIVER: maintaining local file collection
AUDIRVANA+: Testing

How I use ROON 1.8:

ROON: discovery, maintaining streaming collection
JRIVER: playback/rating/maintaining local files
AUDIRVANA+: playback Qobuz + Tidal

The importance of ROON for me has dropped because they are not supporting file collectors.

Playback via UPnP/DLNA has better SQ than ROON. SqueezeServer/SqueezeLite has better SQ than ROON.

2 Likes

The ā€œhypeā€? Thereā€™s no hype, itā€™s fairly basic: itā€™s a scrobbler, but because you have visual cues, you can scrobble very precisely. Or at least you could when the bar was full length, itā€™s trickier now. I use it regularly when I want to go back to a precise point in a song.

4 Likes

1.8 just doesnā€™t work - mot playing any tracksā€¦

1 Like

I question that.

1 Like

It still works that way, just smaller, no big deal all though I liked the look of the longer one. Itā€™s not often I drag through songs, I like to play a piece complete. If I pause a song in Roon, it picks up where it left off.

I did exactly the same with mine, pointless now!

Yeah the stars were visible when you viewed albums in the discography sectionā€¦ but now the stars are only visible after you click on the album.

Sometimes I select certain albums to explore if I see a high star ratingā€¦recognizing of course that this is highly subjective. But it was kinda fun.

5 Likes

Part of the issue Iā€™m seeing is so much repetition.

For example, under the Tidal section thereā€™s a menu bar across the top with Whatā€™s new, Tidal Rising, Playlists, etc. Good enough, but then when in Whatā€™s New, youā€™ve also got a Playlists section, which also has a sub menu across the top, and can expand in each of those sub menus. Itā€™s exhausting. Why not just have a top menu Playlists page for anything playlist related, new and archived, etc; and have Whatā€™s New dedicated to exclusively new albums, add a top Level Tracks category and put all tracks there. If complete pages were deducted to just one thing under top level menus (a tab system essentially) then there wouldnā€™t have to be so much more clicking of ā€˜moreā€™ or pushing of things one doesnā€™t need. All the same stuff, just separated and streamlined.

Same with the Recommended, Similar, and ā€˜If You Like So and Soā€™ under an album. Whatā€™s the difference? Just pick one and go with it. More of the same doesnā€™t always mean better - to me itā€™s just extra work and overwhelming as one has to do yet more opening (which of course means more going back). Just pick one thing and make it the best. Sure, I want to go through ā€˜doorsā€™ and discover new things, but Iā€™d rather stand in an open plaza and have it come to me.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve got the same setup and no, completely silent, except for the constant whine of tinnitus.

3 Likes