Roon 1.8 (Build 748/756/763/764) Feedback

Please don’t take this the wrong way. Yours is an obviously thoughtful post. But I sometimes think we must all be using different software and somehow we have arrived on this forum from alternative universes imagining we are talking the same language about the same topics. Here is an example.

I used to know how many versions of Beethoven’s 5th I have in my local library in 1.7 but I cannot tell you that anymore in 1.8 because roon no longer distinguishes the total for local and streamed content in my library. But the total versions of Beethoven’s 5th in my local library plus Qobuz I can tell you very precisely. Roon tells me it is 2,735 recordings of Beethoven’s 5th.

So now we have two issues to deal with. What version of Beethoven’s 5th will roon suggest for me when I do a search? The second problem is how in any meaningful way will roon present to me the 2,735 alternatives?

So from 2,735 possible Beethoven 5th’s what does roon suggest? Karajan, Bernstein, Abbado, Solti maybe. No! Lets go with a boyband. This literally amongst 2,735 alternatives is what roon’s Valance decided to give me.

Ok. So that’s a miss. You must get the frustration with that? I’d be interested to know that there is something unique about my library that amongst 2,735 possibilities this is the obvious Beethoven’s 5th for me. Incomprehensible.

Moving on, what else can I click on? Well this what I get:

This is the first 3 line items. There are 2,735 of them. Vertically scrolling to the bottom on my 15 inch laptop is about 20 meters. That takes about 40 mins a click at a time. Obviously no one in their right mind would do this. The point is, did anyone look at usability of the UI in terms of core Classical repertoire when scaled up to integration with a streaming partner? This is Beethoven’s 5th!

This is a lot of the reason why you are seeing such polarised views on the 1.8 release. Depending on genre and use case, 1.7 was already at the limits of usability for a significant number of roon users. Longstanding issues were not fixed and for many 1.8 is more clicks, more complexity, just to stand still.

To their credit roon appear to be bending over backwards to get 1.8 back to that borderline of 1.7 usability in the last couple of maintenance releases. Not really sure anymore where roon seem to be going. Time will tell I guess.

10 Likes

I’ve never considered that that is how focus works. If I choose +FLAC and +96kHz I don’t get (nor would I want) all albums that are in FLAC and all albums that are 96kHz, I get all albums that are FLAC and 96kHz.

3 Likes

I don’t really find problems with either. Shuffle works fine. I use it all the time. Most of the time, I’m content to sit back and listen. If you want to see the shuffled queue, click the triple-line-with-arrow symbol next to Back-Play-Fwd.

Focus also works fine. You can select more than one genre at a time. It currently uses an AND function to combine the genres selected. I agree that it needs an OR function. I’m sure they’ll get around to that soon. Doesn’t hinder me at all.

I guess there are cases for both. I can see what you are saying, but I also see a where one would want results as I described.

I hope Roon can provide an update that accommodates both scenarios.

(Edit: removed incorrect example)

One of the things I love the most about Roon is the ability to quickly review an artist’s discography by AMG five-star rating. This is no longer present. If not resolved, I will probably not renew. Otherwise, the update looks / sounds great, but this is a deal breaker for me.

2 Likes

Agreed - a more complex focus with the ability to specify AND, NOT, OR would be ideal. I have obviously not needed to do some of the things that appear to have disappeared but all the focus things that I use on a regular basis are still there and working in 1.8.

There’s a whole thread about it:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/make-focus-an-or-operation-instead-of-and/

3 Likes

@oneofmany Thanks - fast scroll is a minor consolation but still nowhere near as user friendly (or fast) as the A-Z quick index jump feature. Operating without the A-Z quick index jump feature makes Roon 1.8 feel much more like a “computer” experience than before.

Roon - please bring back the A-Z quick index jump feature in artist and album views!

1 Like

Just installed 1,8 core on my QNAP TVS-73, and on ioS and Windows 10 PC apps. Settings show that system is logged into TIDAL. However any attempt to play to any audio zone results in error “Track not available in Tidal” or “Too many failures - stopping playback”…needless to say, works fine in non-Roon settings like Tidal Connect or KEF Connect situations. Any ideas?

1 Like

You won’t consider Popularity sorting at all?

The concern of the ratings is each rating was one single person opinion. The new popularity sorting is crowd sourced in some way.

I agree it would be frustrating to scroll thousands of albums. I clicked the icon to the right of the Focus icon and was able to toggle between tracks in my local library and those available on Qobuz. Does that functionality work for you? In addition, I can narrow down the Qobuz albums using Focus. (Agree on the hit or miss of the suggestions…I still don’t get their recommendations many times.)

So will add my two cents after using 1.8 for a few days now. First of all hats off to the development team. I’m liking most of what I’m seeing and using roon becomes more and more enjoyable… like the vertical scrolling.

Things I find would be better if they carried over from 1.7 are:

1. Star ratings on the album display page… it helps select which new album I fancy taking a punt on without having to click on it first

2. Old size waveform… this new smaller one makes it hard to be precise when playing with the position of the track

3. Roon Radio (Valence or whatever)… seems to play some weird selections now after my seed. For example after listening to a Sea and Cake album, which is pretty mellow stuff, I was served a Superchunk song which seemed totally out of place… was loud and jarring… I like Superchunk but not straight after being chilled out.

4. I’m sure there’s something else… 3 minor gripes didn’t seem like that much :wink:

Overall, I’m a happy customer and will not be canceling my lifetime subscription :grin:

5 Likes

whatever it is negative or positive feedback is fine.it should be a moment of pride for roon.i have never ever seen this level of engagement from audiophiles on any audio product software or hardware in any audio forums .1000’s of comments in one day on a single thread (the other 1.8 launch thread and this feedback thread.)

Just from a design and professional standpoint, go through and make sure you’re polished:

12 Likes

You may be right, thank you.

I think it’s now directly incorporated into the scrollbar. Press/hold the scrollbar until letter pops up, then drag the scrollbar up/down to jump to that alphabetic position in the list.

1 Like

They show up on the individual album page view but are not an option in artist or album list views.

Create a Bookmark

Just start typing the artist or album you’re looking for and it jumps straight there.

I shared your initial reactions - but the vertical screening is much smoother and have adjusted to the larger icons that also you to see a lot more detail - and I use both an ipad and a laptop

1 Like

I am unhappy. Roon has lost sight of what made it good.

When I launch Roon, I want to find music to listen to. I have a local collection of stuff I’ve accumulated over the years. Music that I like. Roon was once a great browsing tool, with the bonus of great metadata management. It was just an infinite scroll to flip through my stacks.

Now? It’s a mishmash of ugly typefaces, small text, useless statistics, ‘see more’ buttons which re-render the entire page, and suggestions for streaming radio stations that I will not be listening to. If there is a way to rearrange or remove all the undesirable UI tiles, I have not yet found it.

I don’t want to see a list of what I listened to last night. When you go to a restaurant, do they offer you another plate of what you ate for dinner last night? No.

I don’t want a big graphic statistical breakdown of what I’ve listened to lately. I don’t care. I expect Roon is bundling that behavioral data and selling it to third parties (and charging me for the privilege of generating a revenue stream…) but it does not merit such a large, prominent place in the UI.

Why is there less music choice on the screen?

Why does it take MORE clicks to get to my music?

Why does it take MORE MORE clicks to get to more music?

Why is external content that loosely matches some random metadata field preferred over the local content that I have made an active effort to include in my library? Is somebody paying for that placement, and if so, may I please have a discount on my subscription?

Why can I not rearrange or edit the tiles on the home screen? It’s clearly built to be modular.

Bring back infinite scroll!

24 Likes